Melatv

Weather

a couple  days ago, it looked (on radar) that yall had a few good building storms moving in, but that same system died Because of the heat of the day, and built back later that evening and was headed for Memphis .... and blew it's self out ... we both never got any rain from, but might have been enough to bump the the moisture up for the storms we got a few hours ago.... hopefully the temps will stay low for a while allowing the moisture to hang around while crops finish making. farms are so cut up here, irrigation ... would be over kill, plus no real big lakes or rivers to supply it, and severe droughts happen very seldom here... so it's a gamble most farmers are willing  to chance it, but more and more have moved over to livestock just for that reason. 

39 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

a couple  days ago, it looked (on radar) that yall had a few good building storms moving in, but that same system died Because of the heat of the day, and built back later that evening and was headed for Memphis .... and blew it's self out ... we both never got any rain from, but might have been enough to bump the the moisture up for the storms we got a few hours ago.... hopefully the temps will stay low for a while allowing the moisture to hang around while crops finish making. farms are so cut up here, irrigation ... would be over kill, plus no real big lakes or rivers to supply it, and severe droughts happen very seldom here... so it's a gamble most farmers are willing  to chance it, but more and more have moved over to livestock just for that reason. 

Everyone here is getting out of stock.  Very few holdouts.  The feed store that was attached to the granary where I worked when I was younger closed up shop a couple of years ago.

Around here all the pumping is coming out of the aquifer and the farmers are pumping it down at an alarming rate.  Much faster than it can replenish itself.  At some point that's going to have to come to an end, and I don't know what the farmers are going to do then.  I believe a few of the "green"er farmers have set aside land for reservoirs to catch rainwater, and they irrigate surrounding fields with that water, but those are few and far between.  Supposedly our drinking water comes from a deeper aquifer so the farmers pumping all summer isn't putting our drinking water at risk, but even so, somewhat alarming situation and obviously not sustainable long term.

https://www.forrestcitywater.com/FCWUWebsite/information_links/2002.MississippiRiverValley.pdf

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Everyone here is getting out of stock.  Very few holdouts.  The feed store that was attached to the granary where I worked when I was younger closed up shop a couple of years ago.

Around here all the pumping is coming out of the aquifer and the farmers are pumping it down at an alarming rate.  Much faster than it can replenish itself.  At some point that's going to have to come to an end, and I don't know what the farmers are going to do then.  I believe a few of the "green"er farmers have set aside land for reservoirs to catch rainwater, and they irrigate surrounding fields with that water, but those are few and far between.  Supposedly our drinking water comes from a deeper aquifer so the farmers pumping all summer isn't putting our drinking water at risk, but even so, somewhat alarming situation and obviously not sustainable long term.

https://www.forrestcitywater.com/FCWUWebsite/information_links/2002.MississippiRiverValley.pdf

the grainery we sold wheat at when i was kid closed up shop, 30 years back -+ but, when we picked corn for grinding and topping cattle off.... we stored in the old warehouse.... i don't know how big it is, but the rent was low...  i pulled in, and i could raise the dump trailer all the way up, and pull move some to help slide the ears out..... this pic is was one of our grain storage units.... this is an old pick when jake (the original owner) owned it.... (we painted it, and  added more bens / legs) the tracks (you see) went right to the columbia mill... but we sold that storage setup, a few years back, because we rented most of our crop land out... so joe Davis (our renter) handles all the drying storage... etc with his setup. 

thats another reason farmers don't irrigate around here... and only raise certain crops, plus with the hilly terrain .... it just wouldn't work around here, now it was somewhat level ... things surly would be deferent. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

We're in the Mississippi River Delta, so flat as can be around here for 100 miles in any direction.

Looks fairly similar to the railroad dump at our old granary.  We had two dumps running when I worked there, one at the railroad, and another that had two huge tanks and a load-out tank that held 8-10 truckloads.

• Like 2

on that's rich soil! my pop had plans one time move his farming operation around that area..... especially when land prices sky rocketed with rumors of the satern car company (GM) was moving in..... but why he changed his mind, well i never did ask him, but it wasnt just him, there were a few farmers here, that were thinking of going, but i reckon family ties, and friends they had for so long made the choice over money.... back in the day this was a very tight farming community.... everyone was friends, we had fish frys big bbq cook outs, ccountry music etc etc, but it's not like that (not even close) anymore....now it's more about keeping your head above water. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Same here, and while it's good farmland, with the mechanization of farming, the little towns are all dying, no middle class, small businesses are drying up etc.  Poorest part of the state whereas it used to be the wealthiest.

• Like 1

June 29th 2012 we got a whopper storm hit.  NOAA didn't predict it until a few hours prior to it hitting.  The local, non syndicated radio station uses a local Emergency Management guy for their weather forecasting and he predicted it about 8 hours before it hit.  We lost a handful of trees in the same fashion.  Dummy me sat on my porch and watched a couple snap half way up.  They'd just sway back and forth until the broke.  One to the west broke first and then others downwind followed.  Odd that these trees were all most of the way down the hill.  Nothing on up the hill or at the top snapped like this.  Weird to say the least.  Just straight line gusts took 'em out.

A couple of years later I had a huge, very old and healthy 24-28" DBH Pignut Hickory  jusy inside the woods uproot and fall on a calm drizzly day.  WTF WAS THAT!!! I thought.  The Emerald Ash Borer took out all my Ash trees and one at the edge of the woods concerned me since if if fell toward the house I was going to get hit real hard.  As time went one it gradually started leaning downhill away from the house.   It seem no wind was strong enough to take it out.  One nice sunny afternoon we were having lunch on the front porch and SNAP.  It broke about 1/3 of the way up and fell into the woods.  The top hit and shot the base up in the yard ending up about 25' from the house.  At least it was easy cutting some of the wood.

Living in the middle of the woods is as peaceful as can be except when a tree falls.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Same here, and while it's good farmland, with the mechanization of farming, the little towns are all dying, no middle class, small businesses are drying up etc.  Poorest part of the state whereas it used to be the wealthiest.

its pretty much the same, what gets me is the small family operated  farm,didn't  have a chance to compete, even if if the land was family owned, trying to survive.. most would borrow against the land, but never could recover, i have to say we suffered hard with this,but my pop never would stick his neck out that far, thank goodness, but many farmers we were friends with folded up, and went at to working factory jobs.... and most of those factories have closed over the years, in that time we have lost touch with real good ol fashion descent people.  

14 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Kind of like farming by you , between the weather patterns , land lost to erosion / land subsidence  and  government regulations , the commercial fishing industry down here has dwindled , almost a lost way of life , they import a lot of the seafood now days so cheap , the fisherman can't make money 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

A couple of years later I had a huge, very old and healthy 24-28" DBH Pignut Hickory  jusy inside the woods uproot and fall on a calm drizzly day.  WTF WAS THAT!!! I thought.  The Emerald Ash Borer took out all my Ash trees and one at the edge of the woods concerned me since if if fell toward the house I was going to get hit real hard.  As time went one it gradually started leaning downhill away from the house.   It seem no wind was strong enough to take it out.  One nice sunny afternoon we were having lunch on the front porch and SNAP.  It broke about 1/3 of the way up and fell into the woods.  The top hit and shot the base up in the yard ending up about 25' from the house.  At least it was easy cutting some of the wood.

a few years back the same issue happened here, ground was saturated .... and the wind took out a number of shallow rooted trees, some damaged homes, that year after the storms the rush was on from  home owners wanting to  have there trees topped, people over look those limbs catching the wind plus all the weight and momentum when they get to swaying back and forth. 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Kind of like farming by you , between the weather patterns , land lost to erosion / land subsidence  and  government regulations , the commercial fishing industry down here has dwindled , almost a lost way of life , they import a lot of the seafood now days so cheap , the fisherman can't make money 

And you think about what the chinese are feeding those fish/shrimp etc vs wild caught here in the US.....bleh.

• Like 1

you dont want to read about farm raised shrimp in over stocked ponds, in the east. fish farms are probably run the same. happens in the US also, to many animals, raised in a confined space. 

as far as weather, lots of Lightening storms, and rain also on occasion. gotta clear out the j-boat drain again, it got moved by people smarter than me, to under a tree.

not only that, a wild cherry. so the leaves clog up the drain hole, an misqueetos, run ramped. and this year, the boat filled up with wild cherry's, an ya never seen so many of those green puup flies. i walked by the boat, smell so sour, an rotten, from the fruit. my brother, an brother in law, want the boat parked there, i will let them till they change they minds. a dish served cold, if ya get my drift. 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ah yeah just love in-laws ....eh ? lol! i too deal with one who thinks he knows everything about everything.... if it's your boat is yours  your home, your land ? I'd move where ever i wish. 

they reap what they sow, tis my thought. let em have at it., i will move it, the boat, but let em suffer for a while 1st. the only way to teach those that wont listen, is let them experience, the repercussions of there deeds. an i will let them suffer. a dish served cold.. so to speak. only been a decade or so. they still haven't wised up yet. i'm patient, plus i havent had the need of my boat, since the strokes, and before. twas only last year, i could walk down the steps, with out holding the rail., an not think of holding it. the major strokes were in 2010. long story, an i wont bother ya with it.

came a virus after that. another subject for discussion, at a different time, last year of so.. never was much on dates...

Edited by LedFTed
why not

Say some prayers for Jamie Watts and his family , he is a really good custom ATV builder from an hour down the road from me , here in Louisiana , I just did get to meet him and his Dad in person a few weeks back when they came over to the house , and clicked immediately as they are both very down to Earth , nice people , read he said the water got deeper then in  these  pics ----- a lot of Hondas went thru that shop

image.pngimage.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

! man.  Is that from rain or ?

Had some bad storms come through here last night.  Lots of lightening, thunder, wind.  Got a splash of rain out of it but not enough to make a puddle. 

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Had some bad storms come through here last night.  Lots of lightening, thunder, wind.  Got a splash of rain out of it but not enough to make a puddle. 

Rain overflowing the creeks , bayous and rivers 

Fish any idea how many ATVs were in his shed and was there anyplace to move them to higher ground?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bcsman said:

Fish any idea how many ATVs were in his shed and was there anyplace to move them to higher ground?

I don't know BCS -------  I sold him two 250 rear ends for builds he had going two weeks ago  --- had a few words with him this morning , he is a strong minded guy and says they will get thru this 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Say some prayers for Jamie Watts and his family , he is a really good custom ATV builder from an hour down the road from me , here in Louisiana , I just did get to meet him and his Dad in person a few weeks back when they came over to the house , and clicked immediately as they are both very down to Earth , nice people , read he said the water got deeper then in  these  pics ----- a lot of Hondas went thru that shop

image.pngimage.png

I was the drive by media on this one , it was in  August 17 ,  2017 , 5 year anniversary  , was early in the morning , LOL ----    I remember that flood now, the dividing median on the Interstate was built 5 foot tall and ran for miles , with one under pass for water to flow every mile , the water was 5 foot on one side the Interstate and dry on the other  - there was 10 running 300s and a Renegade 800 in the shed when it flooded

11 hours ago, LedFTed said:

they reap what they sow, tis my thought. let em have at it., i will move it, the boat, but let em suffer for a while 1st. the only way to teach those that wont listen, is let them experience, the repercussions of there deeds. an i will let them suffer. a dish served cold.. so to speak. only been a decade or so. they still haven't wised up yet.

I can sure relate..... (because of what im dealing with) sad fact is some will never learn, till it's too late, reminds one of the old saying

you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

i reckon you could sell the boat, use that cash for yourself! IF ? you won't use it any longer.... i sure as heck! wouldn't let them use it, if the attitude is they make the call when you own the boat etc etc. 

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

i was looking at the radar just a few ago .. looks like y'all finally have the rain needed, it's started raining here, with another front moving in.... so we indeed lucked out, not a flooding storm, but just whats needed, and it happened at just the right time, just after the second round of haying .... so very few farmer had hay laying down, this couldn't be played better then, if it was planned. 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i was looking at the radar just a few ago .. looks like y'all finally have the rain needed, it's started raining here, with another front moving in.... so we indeed lucked out, not a flooding storm, but just whats needed, and it happened at just the right time, just after the second round of haying .... so very few farmer had hay laying down, this couldn't be played better then, if it was planned. 

Yep, been getting showers all morning here, supposed to be on and off through tomorrow.  Not sure if any of the crops will really be helped this late in the summer, but certainly won't hurt!

• Like 1

i would think the crops have done all there going to by now, but might help bring y'all's water table back up, but as dry as you've said it is, it might take a FEW days of light rain training over the same area, and i hope it does for y'all's area (knock on wood) 

• Like 1