_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

19 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Anyone ever had one of these in their hands?

They call it a Hatchet and it is part of the M12 series of tools

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Saws/2527-21

I want it for one handed trimming. Currently use a 170 for anything that needs to be taken down in the air and have been looking at an electric one.

This looks like a great replacement! Prefer the green/blue ones but red is good too. I ran them for work and they took the abuse well. Bought the M12 impact because it is so light and does most everything for a small job.

hatchet.PNG

I have used my brothers dewalt version of this.  It’s scary as there’s no motor sound to warn you it’s dangerous.  Brother has gotten used to it though.  Throw it in his UTV to clear stuff that blocks his trails.  I used it to trim some stuff here to.  It’s handy.  

1 hour ago, 87Iroc said:

I have used my brothers dewalt version of this.  It’s scary as there’s no motor sound to warn you it’s dangerous.  Brother has gotten used to it though.  Throw it in his UTV to clear stuff that blocks his trails.  I used it to trim some stuff here to.  It’s handy.  

sence i have had no dealings with those battery powered units ... do they hold up well, and just as you stated .. the lack from the sound / vibration of a gas engine ... would be strange to me .. especially with a rotating chain... just never could get my head wrapped the idea of a battery power chainsaw ... but ... if it's light weight ... i might need to work on the idea.. lol 

Edited by _Wilson_™

His is a 20 volt version.  Would be handy as ! for tree trimming.  I think his has a 16” bar.  If you use it for trimming 2 or 3” at most I think it would be fine. He tried using it to cut a tree in sections.  After a while he went and got his big Stihl(I have a 20” Farm Boss.  His is bigger yet) And it cut it like butta

i am in need of a small one here or fix my 025 Stihl and I have contemplated one

Edited by 87Iroc

19 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

His is a 20 volt version.  Would be handy as ! for tree trimming.  I think his has a 16” bar.  If you use it for trimming 2 or 3” at most I think it would be fine. He tried using it to cut a tree in sections.  After a while he went and got his big Stihl(I have a 20” Farm Boss.  His is bigger yet) And it cut it like butta

i am in need of a small one here or fix my 025 Stihl and I have contemplated one

sounds handy... enough ... but it's going to take more to change my mind from gas to electric .. if you can / have the time post some videos of it being used ... and always keep a sharp snug chain ;) 

It'll be a while before I get back up there. He has a lot of yellow and black tools so I think he just bought the implement itself I have the same so I'd just buy the saw itself. 

8 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

It'll be a while before I get back up there. He has a lot of yellow and black tools so I think he just bought the implement itself I have the same so I'd just buy the saw itself. 

oh okay... that's fine .... i don't jump on anything (equipment wise)  unless it's got a good reputation ... for durability. and stihl does. ;) 

@87Iroc @oh400ex not sure if ether of you have checked out what fiskars has ... retro, and shade turned me onto there axe line ... make no joke these axes are by far the best axes i have ever used... I've chopped a 4 inch limb in half with just a few blows ... when i say these are razor sharp... they are!! this is one excellent axe line. 

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/axes-mauls-and-machetes?showAll=true

3 hours ago, TBRider said:

You can't beat a good axe from Canadian Tire round here......😋

I've heard a few guys speek about Canadian Tire sounds a great store. 

I'd put the fiskars x27 ... up against any brand name axe out there. but now for for splitting elm ... no axe will work as good as a hydraulic splitter .. I'm just glad we don't have many elm trees around here , or well at least not downed on my land .. 

A friend of mine has the EGO electric chainsaw. I used it for several hours at his hunting shack. Weighs about the same as my Stihl. 16" bar. Cut well. I will stick with my Stihl but that saw worked very well. Mostly handy I would think where you are clearing a trail or shooting lane when you are walking or wheeling and use it intermittently. Then you're not leaving it run or starting it constantly.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PROV said:

A friend of mine has the EGO electric chainsaw. I used it for several hours at his hunting shack. Weighs about the same as my Stihl. 16" bar. Cut well. I will stick with my Stihl but that saw worked very well. Mostly handy I would think where you are clearing a trail or shooting lane when you are walking or wheeling and use it intermittently. Then you're not leaving it run or starting it constantly.

Yea buddy of mine has one. He would carry a spare battery. No noise (which is weird) & I suppose would be good if you were cutting some small wood in the basement & dont want the fumes! 😮 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

Yea buddy of mine has one. He would carry a spare battery. No noise (which is weird) & I suppose would be good if you were cutting some small wood in the basement & dont want the fumes! 😮 

now that would be handy ...if you don't mind the saw dust ... which tends to find places to go... where it shouldn't ... lol! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PROV said:

A friend of mine has the EGO electric chainsaw.

That one I have ran and could not see myself spending any money on EGO tools.

My buddy bought the whole set. Weed eater, leaf blower, chainsaw (etc) and the tools are pretty good but replacement batteries are unreasonably priced and last only 1-2 seasons. The EGO has no power when compared to the yellow and black 40v flex volt one either. I only ran it for a day but that one has TONS of power. Too pricey and not my brand though. I already have some M12 batteries which is why I would lean to the red trimmer. Plus it was super light! I just want to try it out without having to buy it and return...

We have a Ryobi 18v weed eater that makes the EGO feel like a toy...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PROV said:

i think we need some comparison videos  .. you know the old saying a pic is worth a thousand words .. and i know a gas powered stihl is golden ... I've had the same saw in constant use for over 20 years ... i doubt a eclectic saw could come close to matching those severe operating hours a gas powered saw can ... by the time you've purchased enough of those electric saws / chargers /  batteries  ... you could have a several defrent size gas powered saws whether stihl or not ... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 3

I can sit a gas engine on the shelf for 20 years, add gas, and it will work.

Can't do that with battery powered stuff.

That's why I'm still using/buying air tools instead of buying battery powered impacts etc.  I got an M18 Milwaukee cordless drill last year.  Thing was $$$, and the replacement batteries are $$$.  Used daily, or even unused, those batteries don't last all that long, so I'll stick to gas stuff.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

by the time you've purchased enough of those electric saws /  chargers /  batteries  ... you could have a several decent size gas powered saws whether stihl or not ... 

That's the takeaway.

Full size electric saws are only good in very specific situations. (No 2-smoke fumes and run veg oil for bar so no bad smell)

The little M12 Hatchet is lighter than any gas powered saw and would only be used in small duty situations.

I could get by with a small trimming saw (I know a lot of people like those) but as little as I would use it the battery makes some sense.

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

replacement batteries are $$$.  Used daily, or even unused, those batteries don't last all that long, so I'll stick to gas stuff.

I'm a electric guy and can put some replacement cells into the tool so the prices of battery isn't as big of a deal to me.

There are clip-in converters for any brand to any brand of 18v drill batteries too.

Battery technology is only getting better and cheaper. Lifepo4 is going to hit the tool market sooner than later and shelf life of batteries will be ~10x

You put one of those in any of your bikes yet? If you have anything that sits... they rock! No more need for the trickle charger and replacing batteries few seasons...

I have used a Dewalt flexvolt chainsaw a few times with 6 and 9ah batteries for comparison. It's a decent little saw for cross cutting rings up to about 12 inches, I found anything bigger was simply a struggle. I compared it to my MS201T top handle saw as it was the closest thing I had size wise.

For small stuff, both saws cut well but if you put the pressure on the Dewalt saw, it struggled as expected.

Run time wise, I spent about 3 hours using the battery saw as my friend used the 201, in the same time that he used 6 tanks of fuel, I used 3x 9ah and 2x 6ah batteries, 2 of which were on charge at any one time.

So after that test, I figured the Dewalt saw is fine if you have power close by to charge batteries or have plenty of batteries to hand, but I will continue with my gas saws for the foreseeable future as the battery saws need to improve with battery run time to make it worth spending money on.

I'd love to see a battery saw that can out cut my MS661!

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 3

@oh400ex i don't mind the smell... just call me old fashion .... but i tend not to use mine in closed in spaces, or skimp on bar oil... stihl bar oil from day one ... which has proven it's self ... like i said .. before ^^^ I'm a die hard stihl guy ...and had over 20 years with the same saw (never has had any engine work)

47 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i don't mind the smell... just call me old fashion

Pro tip: If ya don't want to see any smoke, combustion carbon on the piston,chamber & exhaust port, or whiff smelly odors, try mixing Red Oil in your Stihl at 32:1. 🙂

https://www.maximausa.com/product/formula-k2/

thank you, but no, no smoke at all, just normal fumes like any small 2 cycle will do... ....just the nature of the beast ... i did clean the exhaust last year ..as you can see the spark screen is clean ...  

image.jpg

i like my red max limb cutter, and off shoot red max trimmer, of husqvarna. both are still running strong as my 51 husqvarna bough in 2000. gas an oil mix engines, but do run true. my weed wacker cuts limbs, big as your little finger, even thicker if if ya use the blades, thumb size, or big toe. plus are light weight. the husqvarna is heavy at 10-14 pounds including the bar/chain 16".  the red-max weights in at 7-8lbs with bar and chain does the same work.

i will never buy another echo weed wacker or wood chain saw , and dont want stihl neither though most of the time, stihl runs true. just heavy, when it dont need to be.

Edited by LedFTed

i can tell, no carbon, or over-heating on the stihl saw. mine dont see so much use. never has. maybe never will.

ya can only do so much with, now, sciatica. only been 3yrs, or so, least i got a reprieve of sorts, no surgery on my neck.

i get re-evaluated next year, so i guess ya will still have to put up with me, least that long.,scary, could be more., haha

a blockage in the carotid, left front.70%. was just 10 years ago i had a blockage in the back on the rt. side in the pon's area. that broke loose, the plaque., caused some problems, now its on the opposite/opposing side. oh well, enough of that.

5 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i will never buy another echo weed wacker or wood chain saw , and dont want stihl neither though most of the time, stihl runs true. just heavy, when it dont need to be.

live had a few echo trimmers never did care for them too much... my grandfather had a one for years ..(straight shaft brush cutter) .i don't recall what model it was, but he had it for years . served him good, he always used quick silver mix oil.. 

Had this Stihl 021 for 30 years now. Still runs like new. Bought this Stihl FS191 brush cutter last year. Kicks butt on trees up to "4. Clear around the hunting shack and 700 yards of shooting lane 20+ feet wide. Started first pull this summer.

IMG_20200915_143035964_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200915_143047304.jpg

IMG_20191109_080913615.jpg

• Like 3

@PROVlooks good! i have a stihl fs250-R brush cutter ... been one  great machine, what type of brush disk do you use ? this is my favorite >> beaver blade (chainsaw disk) works great. 

image.jpg