slowindown

Mower engine hot start issue

I have a 2013 54” hustler fastrak. I’ve had it since new. It has a kawi 23hp fs691v engine. It currently has ~1000 hours. It runs fine except:

over the last 2-3 years I’ve noticed that if I accidentally run it out of gas when it’s hot or turn it off with the throttle on high when it’s hot it will not restart until it cools down. No amount of starter fluid or choking will make it start until it’s cool. 

Nothing has ever been done to the engine aside from regular oil and air and oil filter changes and I changed the spark plugs and fuel filter last year. 

Thoughts?

Does it have one of those weird fuel solenoid shut offs on the carb?  @basfnb had a JD mower that was screwy like that.

I’m out of town but found this internet pic and it appears to have a big wart on the bottom of the carb bowl. 

2C4FEF05-E6BA-497B-8784-3F3FF549D4DE.png

You may have to adjust the valves

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, slowindown said:

I’m out of town but found this internet pic and it appears to have a big wart on the bottom of the carb bowl. 

2C4FEF05-E6BA-497B-8784-3F3FF549D4DE.png

Warts are never good.  Especially the type with wires coming out of them.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I’ve never adjusted the valves. Found one reference with a similar issue on a mowin site that turned out to be a head gasket.

When I accidentally cut it off when hot without letting it idle first, I can force cool the engine and get it to crank. 

Edited by slowindown

I've been working on these things for 38 years. I must say those are some odd symptoms. Perhaps its flooding when not running? If it's tight valves I would suspect it would run poorly when hot. Best thing is to check spark when this happens and work down from there. Could adjust valves to be sure. I very curious myself. Please keep us posted.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, slowindown said:

I have a 2013 54” hustler fastrak. I’ve had it since new. It has a kawi 23hp fs691v engine. It currently has ~1000 hours. It runs fine except:

over the last 2-3 years I’ve noticed that if I accidentally run it out of gas when it’s hot or turn it off with the throttle on high when it’s hot it will not restart until it cools down. No amount of starter fluid or choking will make it start until it’s cool. 

Nothing has ever been done to the engine aside from regular oil and air and oil filter changes and I changed the spark plugs and fuel filter last year. 

Thoughts?

My last Husqvarna with a 25 Kohler did that same thing , if , I didn't let it cool down on idle for about one minute before killing it ----try that next time , when you are   finished mowing ,  let it cool down running at the lowest idle for at least a minute before killing it 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

My last Husqvarna with a 25 Kohler did that same thing , if , I didn't let it cool down on idle for about one minute before killing it ----try that next time , when you are   finished mowing ,  let it cool down running at the lowest idle for at least a minute before killing it 

That’s what I’ve been doing for the past couple years when I need to cut it off to gas up or re-beer. Actually I only let it idle maybe 15-20 seconds before cutting it off and it’ll fire back up. I usually mow anywhere from 3 to 5 acres with it. 

• Like 1

i want to put a starter assist relay on the zero turn. properly installed, it leaves the safeties still working. it cost maybe 20.00, with a spare fuse.. the zero turn eats up the starter relay. the cause being, not enough voltage to the relay, that comes with... i got mine on amazon..,, before ya buy one, look it up online..