Bossdaddy

2001 Honda Foreman 450 ES, shifting problems

Sorry for the delay, I had to step away for a minute. Retro, I need to be sure of what you want, I need a jumper to go from positive battery post to each wire in connector , one wire at a time ? Harness side or switch side?

Edited by Bossdaddy

Yeah, harness side. Somehow jumper from the positive battery terminal to at minimum the Pink, Black, and Red/Black. Its OK if all four are jumpered though, so maybe a wad of aluminum foil stuffed into the harness-side ignition switch connector, along with a fairly thick jumper from the positive battery terminal might work?

Ok, you can plug the ignition switch back in. I still suspect a power issue so lets tweak a couple connectors. I'll be right back with pics....

These two tweaks should insure that good connections exist in the connectors for the angle sensor and the 5p ECM connector.

Using needle nose pliers twist each of the narrow spade terminals slightly, inside the angle sensor, like I did for this pic:

angle-sensor-terminals.png

Then, using a narrow flat blade screwdriver to poke into the 5p ECM connector behind each of the 5 terminals, bend each terminal so that it closes up a bit more which should insure that the spades inside the ECM will be tightly gripped when the connector is plugged in.

ecm-terminals.png

Plug everything back in. Connect a battery charger to the battery, turn key on, see if it shifts.

OK thanks.

It's crazy but the 2001 ECM and 2001 Angle sensor work on the 2000. But the 2000 does not shift with the 2001 ECM and 2000 Angle sensor. I wonder if the 2000 ECM and 2000 Angle sensor will make the 2001 Foreman shift? Ya think its worth a try?

Retro, I’ve had it for today. I’m going in the house and after I rest a little I’m going to start another thread about the oil temperature red light. You have a great Fathers Day and I’ll talk to you hopefully Monday as always any test you come up with send them to me. 

• Like 1

Ok, have a good evening. I didn't realize that the oil temp light was not working. Perhaps it is related? Please post details about that issue here.

You may as well put the 2001 ECM and Angle sensor back where they belong too.

In fact, unplug the Fan Control Unit and see if it shifts? Those circuits are relational, if the FCU is shorted the ES will not shift.

Please don't tell me that, if that's the problem I'll get heavily intoxicated tonight and I haven't drank a drop in 31 years. Now where is the plug for the fan control unit.

• Haha 1

Don't do that you'll just get a hangover and a splitting headache and the bike won't get fixed. 😀

The FCU is up front near the shift ECM and the CDI. Hang on a moment I'll find a pic.... be right back.

Here is a pic showing location of the Cooling Fan Control Unit. What are the symptoms pertaining to your oil temp light? Are there any other electrical issues, or anything else that needs repair?

fcu.png

Ok. What is going on about the oil temp light?

At present it stays on all the time when switch is on.  A little while back it worked right sometimes and sometimes it didn’t come on at all. 

Ok thanks. I'll look into that issue as well. Is there anything else that does not work right?

Keep a smile on we will find the fault. See ya Monday.

4 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

I went on and installed the 2001 angle sensor and 2001 ECM on the 2000 and it shifts perfect. 

ok, now take the ecm, and angle sensor, and install them on the 2001 atv, does it still shift ?, if it does not ?, then one of these parts is bad !.

• Confused 1