Jump to content
56Sierra

454, 460 or Triton V10 for motorhome

Recommended Posts

Been looking for a used older class A and wondering what you fellow pistonheads think of these three engine?  From what I know the Triton doubles well as a boat anchor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

class A ?..wow..you hit the lottery or what ?..lol. i hope you got tons of cash stashed back ?, you will need it to fill the fuel tank..lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

All I can speak in is the 454. It will pull good, yet like a dog. Depends on gearing & ALOT more. If u happen to follow my quest in towing u may see what I mean. I built a 383 Stroker for towing. Tossing in 4.56 gears, headers ect. Don’t get me wrong it pulls & pulls well for what it is. But I know a stock 454 compared to my 383 set up is not the same. I will out pull a stock 454. But if u modify the 454 she will out pull me. 
 

 

FYI.. last time pulling camper I got 7.6mpg using supreme gasoline. 

Edited by Wheeler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

All I can speak in is the 454. It will pull good, yet like a dog. Depends on gearing & ALOT more. If u happen to follow my quest in towing u may see what I mean. I built a 383 Stroker for towing. Tossing in 4.56 gears, headers ect. Don’t get me wrong it pulls & pulls well for what it is. But I know a stock 454 compared to my 383 set up is not the same. I will out pull a stock 454. But if u modify the 454 she will out pull me. 
 

 

FYI.. last time pulling camper I got 7.6mpg using supreme gasoline. 

depends on how big of camper you pulled ?, i got 3:73 gears in my silverado, pulling my 18ft camper, i get about 10-11 mpg if i keep my foot out of it..lol

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Yes very true @shadetree however he is talking about an A class motor home. Get ur visa out…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, shadetree said:

class A ?..wow..you hit the lottery or what ?..lol. i hope you got tons of cash stashed back ?, you will need it to fill the fuel tank..lol.

I wish.  Looked at one this morning and a bit beat up for me.  It did have the Banks intake and exhaust.   Also a pre Vortex.  Calling about this one tomorrow.   https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/rvs/d/apple-creek-1997-alegro-star-motorhome/7344243732.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

I called and left a message.   For reasons unknown to me people listing on Craigslist seem to forget to take down their ads after the item is sold.  I'm hoping the seller is at church right now.

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

He called back but failed the first question I asked.   How long has he had it?  A month.  Big red flag.  He said he's had a lot of interest in it.  I told him to keep my number and call if it doesn't sell.  My guess, just like yesterday the title isn't even in his name.  Nothing like driving 90 minutes yesterday to find out someone's definition of clear title means I can't test drive it because the title isn't in his name.

I'm finding deals but they are the Ford V10 so no deal for me.  Shame since the 460 was a good engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I called and left a message.   For reasons unknown to me people listing on Craigslist seem to forget to take down their ads after the item is sold.  I'm hoping the seller is at church right now.

😉

i see ad's all the time of an item being on there, and yet they sell it, never take the ad down ?. they are '' somewhat '' smart enough to put the ad up, but not take it down ?..lol. then i see scams left and right, YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SELLING AND BUYING !. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I had a 1986 24 Class C with a 460 in it.  It was a good engine but like all of them it didn't get very good gas mileage but it had a C6 3 speed auto in it.  The only place I had trouble with the power was coming up a huge hill that I think was on the west side of Yellowstone.  To be fair I don't think anything less than a strong diesel would pull that hill with any authority. 

 

I was under the impression that the V-10 was a good engine.  I know that they had some spark plug blowout and seizing issues with some of the early ones but there is a fix and most of them have probably been fixed by now.  If I bought one I'd want to make sure it had been fixed or was one of the ones that didn't have the problem.

 

Here's a link where you can get some good information from lots of people that have them.    

 

RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

you may have to expand your search area a lot further out to locate a good deal ?, don't count on one being 50 miles near you !. if i find a deal on a atv project ?, and its 400-500 miles away ?, i might just take a road trip ?..lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, shadetree said:

you may have to expand your search area a lot further out to locate a good deal ?, don't count on one being 50 miles near you !. if i find a deal on a atv project ?, and its 400-500 miles away ?, i might just take a road trip ?..lol.

We're looking out further than local.  I just need to learn to ask better questions before heading off to look at one.  Yeah, taking ads down is a real problem.   Often I see snide comments in the description like "I refuse to respond to anyone asking it it's still available.   If you see it, it's available."  I'm clueless to why people don't take the ads down.  Me, beside uncommon courtesy,  I wouldn't want to be pestered after the sale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

We're looking out further than local.  I just need to learn to ask better questions before heading off to look at one.  Yeah, taking ads down is a real problem.   Often I see snide comments in the description like "I refuse to respond to anyone asking it it's still available.   If you see it, it's available."  I'm clueless to why people don't take the ads down.  Me, beside uncommon courtesy,  I wouldn't want to be pestered after the sale.

when i make a sell ?, my ad comes down as soon as they leave..lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

next door neighbor (we go camping together) still has his old motorhome (no slide) big long beast though...454 in it.  He also pulls his jeep behind it.

Our regular runs to the mountains includes a pretty nasty long climb that has all the semi's in the right climb lane and they are working hard to do about 30-35...he has to do the same and that engine is puffin when he reaches the top.

used to be about that way for me when I had my silverado 1500 327 gasser pulling my old 26ft (heavey H-beam full body) travel trailer. We would both be happy to stay far right and reach the top.

When I upgraded to my chevy 3500 duramax.. I put it cruise on 65 and it climbs that hill like almost nothing on the bumper. Eventually we have plans to a larger TT with triple slides, so I expect even my duramax will be working hard, but what a difference in that low end torque.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Most people that own Class A motorhomes go with the Diesel Pusher.Gas Engines are used more with Class C motorhomes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, RubiDan said:

I had a 1986 24 Class C with a 460 in it.  It was a good engine but like all of them it didn't get very good gas mileage but it had a C6 3 speed auto in it.  The only place I had trouble with the power was coming up a huge hill that I think was on the west side of Yellowstone.  To be fair I don't think anything less than a strong diesel would pull that hill with any authority. 

 

I was under the impression that the V-10 was a good engine.  I know that they had some spark plug blowout and seizing issues with some of the early ones but there is a fix and most of them have probably been fixed by now.  If I bought one I'd want to make sure it had been fixed or was one of the ones that didn't have the problem.

 

Here's a link where you can get some good information from lots of people that have them.    

 

RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

Thanks for the link.  I'll do some reading up on the choices.  The modular engine did my no favors with a 2009 5.4 I had in my company heavy F150.  The cam phasers started giving me problems at 40K and at 50K the company mechanic thought being proactive and changing plugs would be a good idea except the damage was already done.  Two were fused in so bad they broke off.  The cam phaser problem continued on an off until we upped the viscosity of the oil.   Ford like every other publicly held company dropped the 460 and went with the V10 for one reason.   Reduce production costs.  

Even if they didn't have the plug issues they seem to use more fuel than the 460 or 454.  As a last resort a Triton with helicoils would do but I want proof of the work.  After all, this is a Honda forum.  We demand reliability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

I have a v10 in my 97 Class C Coachmen 21 footer.11-14 mpg. No problems 

class A u wanna diesel pusher imo

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Goober said:

I have a v10 in my 97 Class C Coachmen 21 footer.11-14 mpg. No problems 

class A u wanna diesel pusher imo

That's pretty good mileage.   Don't know that I'd drive it enough to justify a diesel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
14 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Thanks for the link.  I'll do some reading up on the choices.  The modular engine did my no favors with a 2009 5.4 I had in my company heavy F150.  The cam phasers started giving me problems at 40K and at 50K the company mechanic thought being proactive and changing plugs would be a good idea except the damage was already done.  Two were fused in so bad they broke off.  The cam phaser problem continued on an off until we upped the viscosity of the oil.   Ford like every other publicly held company dropped the 460 and went with the V10 for one reason.   Reduce production costs.  

Even if they didn't have the plug issues they seem to use more fuel than the 460 or 454.  As a last resort a Triton with helicoils would do but I want proof of the work.  After all, this is a Honda forum.  We demand reliability. 

 

I have read that there are two versions of the Triton V10.  One with three valves per cylinder and one with two.  I also read that the two valve is the better of the two and that they only put the two valve in motorhomes because of space issues.  I have no idea how accurate what I just said is so take it with a grain of salt.

 

My 460 would tend to run very warm but never hot.  It was carbureted and that would cause it to vapor lock on occasion in hot weather but that shouldn't be an issue with the fuel injected models.

 

Good luck with whatever you wind up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

If you are getting a class A,  go with a diesel.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

It's hard to justify a diesel right now.  Would a 99 454 with 70K scare anyone if it had good service records?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

No if in good shape. Our is 97 and we’re using it twice a month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

circling back.

 

just got back from holiday weekend...visited with the wife's family..sorta family reunion that they do each year.

anyway...the old 1996Nash TT made it through another run...as it gets older, I get more nervous about trips.

If I were taking a long one, I'd go ahead and put all new tires and repack the bearings.

it pulled nice n quiet and with a lot of road construction, I basically wasn't holding folks up, keeping my speed around the 62mph mark.

trip average was around 12mpg...hwy was running around 15.

I like that I can put the 3500 on cruise control and I'm not nearly as tired pulling with the big truck as I used to get with just a 1500...the camper would wag the truck...with the larger truck, it's pretty much near like driving without a load.

you guys running 1980s campers give me hope.

 

I know my roof is beyond age..and all I've done to date with it is keep making sure to put silicone around the edges.

with Elsa promising to bring us some rain, and the summer heat to bake the roof, I will go ahead and retarp it later today...just too dang hot right now

we actually got in around 4pm yesterday..but that gave us just enough time to park it, unload it, and then hitch the boat and pick up kids/grands for some fireworks on the lake last night..so both toys are parked, and I've got everything clean and ready to be out of the heat for a bit.

I did vacuum the pool just now, so the wife and I can enjoy a swim later, but I'll let the sun get down to tree line, cause man, summer is here!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Bighanded said:

circling back.

 

just got back from holiday weekend...visited with the wife's family..sorta family reunion that they do each year.

anyway...the old 1996Nash TT made it through another run...as it gets older, I get more nervous about trips.

If I were taking a long one, I'd go ahead and put all new tires and repack the bearings.

it pulled nice n quiet and with a lot of road construction, I basically wasn't holding folks up, keeping my speed around the 62mph mark.

trip average was around 12mpg...hwy was running around 15.

I like that I can put the 3500 on cruise control and I'm not nearly as tired pulling with the big truck as I used to get with just a 1500...the camper would wag the truck...with the larger truck, it's pretty much near like driving without a load.

you guys running 1980s campers give me hope.

 

I know my roof is beyond age..and all I've done to date with it is keep making sure to put silicone around the edges.

with Elsa promising to bring us some rain, and the summer heat to bake the roof, I will go ahead and retarp it later today...just too dang hot right now

we actually got in around 4pm yesterday..but that gave us just enough time to park it, unload it, and then hitch the boat and pick up kids/grands for some fireworks on the lake last night..so both toys are parked, and I've got everything clean and ready to be out of the heat for a bit.

I did vacuum the pool just now, so the wife and I can enjoy a swim later, but I'll let the sun get down to tree line, cause man, summer is here!

 

i pull my 18rd camper very easy. i was pulling a 22ft wilderness, but that was way to much weight with my 1/2 ton. i am set up for towing up to 12k pounds, but any one with half a brain cell knows pulling 12k flat trailer pounds, and pulling 12k bill board pounds makes a world of difference in the truck world !. pulling campers/trailers is an art, you must balance the load, stay in the weight range of the truck pulling it. if you have it all dialed in ?, there is nothing to lose but mpg's !..lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...