Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What is typical when it comes to oil light flicker?    At starting , and then when warming up when being first driven?

 

I am seeing the light flash more often it seems.  Oil level is good, and the fan comes on regularly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Alarm control unit on your 450. They are some $$$ so most just make the fan manual switched.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
31 minutes ago, NB Floyd said:

What is typical when it comes to oil light flicker?    At starting , and then when warming up when being first driven?

 

I am seeing the light flash more often it seems.  Oil level is good, and the fan comes on regularly.  

bad fan control ?, or bad oil temp sensor ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, shadetree said:

bad fan control ?, or bad oil temp sensor ?.

can ya bake that sensor oil temp sensor?, to improve it.

Edited by LedFTed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, LedFTed said:

can ya bake that sensor oil temp?, to improve it.

no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

no

durn... maybe im thinking of the module

 

Edited by LedFTed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
24 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

durn...

this oil temp sensor works off ohm's, its a switch that screws into the engine case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
25 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

durn... maybe im thinking of the module

 

you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, shadetree said:

you are.

can i bake the mod, (just kidding), can i bake the module?

Edited by LedFTed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The bike is a 2004 Foreman 450 ES. 

 

Do I need to drain the engine oil if I wanted to remove / replace the oil temp sensor ?

 

Removing the skid plate makes all this accessible ?

 

Thanks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
21 minutes ago, NB Floyd said:

The bike is a 2004 Foreman 450 ES. 

 

Do I need to drain the engine oil if I wanted to remove / replace the oil temp sensor ?

 

Removing the skid plate makes all this accessible ?

 

Thanks.  

Yes , the oil temp sensor is at the rear bottom of the crankcase , unless you were to lay the atv on it's side or hoist the rear up with a hoist , all the oil is going to come out and it is under the skip pan 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

as fish ^^ said, drain the oil, or remove the skid plate, and jack the rear up really high, sensor is on the back bottom side, yu'll see it when you remove the bottom skid plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

But is it the sensor or the alarm box?

 

Dang sensors are pushing $50 now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 7/16/2021 at 8:50 AM, NB Floyd said:

The bike is a 2004 Foreman 450 ES. 

 

Do I need to drain the engine oil if I wanted to remove / replace the oil temp sensor ?

 

Removing the skid plate makes all this accessible ?

 

Thanks.  

 

I just went through this.

 

Oil will drain out, if you pull the oil sensor. Remove the skid plate it’s easy access then. 
 

The flickering oil light is more than likely your FCU (control unit). You can remove it, bake it for 10min at 450F. Let it cool and reinstall it. If oil flicker stops then it’s this module. 
 

The oil light should come on briefly during key ON position and then be off. Ideally you’d never see this light come on again as it indicates high oil temp and the whole point is for the fan to come on and start cooling before all this. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, freebo86 said:

 

I just went through this.

 

Oil will drain out, if you pull the oil sensor. Remove the skid plate it’s easy access then. 
 

The flickering oil light is more than likely your FCU (control unit). You can remove it, bake it for 10min at 450F. Let it cool and reinstall it. If oil flicker stops then it’s this module. 
 

The oil light should come on briefly during key ON position and then be off. Ideally you’d never see this light come on again as it indicates high oil temp and the whole point is for the fan to come on and start cooling before all this. 

 

 

You go guy   , the 450 Guru  !!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

Good info freebo86!

Just did one yesterday, you can tip ATV sideways a bit and prop it up or have someone hold it at balance point (someone you you trust lol)

Pull skid off and pull sensor and replace- I had no oil leak out this way and took less than 2-3 minutes (with electric impact for skid bolts)

Edited by AKATV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I used it in the farm some this afternoon and the light never blinked except when I first switched on the key.   

 

I power washed it a while back ago and after that was when I first noticed it.  

 

The fan runs regular and the oil level looks good.  It is a great bike.   I do appreciate the comments and suggestions.  

 

If it acts up I may have some questions on the FCU.  

 

Thanks again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Yah so it’s intermittently failing. If it does it sometimes and not others that’s common, mind did the same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, NB Floyd said:

I used it in the farm some this afternoon and the light never blinked except when I first switched on the key.   

 

I power washed it a while back ago and after that was when I first noticed it.  

 

The fan runs regular and the oil level looks good.  It is a great bike.   I do appreciate the comments and suggestions.  

 

If it acts up I may have some questions on the FCU.  

 

Thanks again. 

Key words here are power washed it.  We have read numerous threads here from members that power washed their Hondas and had intermittent issues after.  Really gets into the wiring if pointed directly at any harnesses or connectors.  Eventually, as seems to be the case here, the problems generally work themselves out if it can dry itself...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...