superrman77

Shop Tools And Setup

I got a couple these... Spring pullers... Maybe too big for the job.....? I don't recall what they came with, i think a snapper idler mower deck pulley spring... If the ones i have won't work , gunna see if i can sort one up... 

image.jpg

Been around the block a few times and never seen anything like this before , Snap On ain't what it use to be 

image.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Been around the block a few times and never seen anything like this before , Snap On ain't what it use to be 

image.png

I don't have a snap on teardrop flex head ... But didnt they use something like this type kit years back ? Not the cap made into the head ( where the logo is) but a sepperate blind cap .... (To the Left in the pic) the 3/8 i have use those type kits... I believe the 1/2 teardrop does too, i don't know about the teardrop flex head ....... I agree on there quality going south... The 3/4 n one inch drives we have arnt snap on .... Too much $$$ for those sets... Especially left on a field farm service truck... Sometimes those vehicles never made it back to the shop on long days of work... N no telling how much it would cost to replace those costly tools, being your paying for the name too...

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Being this is about snap on tools, the best ratchet.... (Kinda the same as the snap on 3/8 roto head) i have is a S n K roto head ..... It's actually a fun hand tool to use... So versatile.... I've had long cheeter bars on a ratchet just like this one... A 1/2 inch drive craftsman doesn't even come close to handling with that roto head will.... By far the most used ratchet i have... Well that one and little brother 1/4 inch... I don't know if anyone (quality tool manufacturers) offer a model any bigger then a 3/8s drive, those little jems.... Work at very odd angles...specaily when combined with a universal joint .... Lol! But a knuckle buster.. When i first got it...had to learn what angles it would torqe on, and ones it would bust knuckles at... Lol! .... I won't even check the price of one now, and like others plastic parts have replaced the better metal parts... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Need to use the bead blaster box for my 300 head and other things. The light was a 12 volt deal. Never was bright enough when it did work.  Dug thru some of my Grandfathers stuff I had in the attic and found enough to do this mod with going to the stores. Need to replace the glass hole to get that done today let there be light.  

72260509-EFE4-430E-A313-B482CC2A0749.jpeg

4E4FC56B-8328-4605-A677-D826124ED735.jpeg

0630FAEA-CA65-424D-BC54-6ECB9FC5E799.jpeg

83919100-92DC-432F-ADCF-4A42191C60D2.jpeg

B45E3DCE-1194-4A33-A43E-E23BC0068745.jpeg

6925400E-C6B9-43AF-854E-83CA5EF4DA01.jpeg

• Like 2

Alrighty Fish, gonna need you to fill us in on the cabinet.

Is that a good one or a Harbor Fright job that you modded to be good?

I've thought about getting a blasting cabinet. 

As I understand it, I'll need to do a light, replace the glass on the hood, and hook up some sort of exhaust fan to keep the dust down. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Alrighty Fish, gonna need you to fill us in on the cabinet.

Is that a good one or a Harbor Fright job that you modded to be good?

I've thought about getting a blasting cabinet. 

As I understand it, I'll need to do a light, replace the glass on the hood, and hook up some sort of exhaust fan to keep the dust down. 

It  is a Harbor Freight -----  got the glass this morning ,   I  am working on this hood mod right now , about to head off to the hardware store 

There are many mods you can do , guess if you got the money , just buy a better one to start 

22 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

It  is a Harbor Freight -----  got the glass this morning ,   I  am working on this hood mod right now , about to head off to the hardware store 

There are many mods you can do , guess if you got the money , just buy a better one to start 

LOL.  I don't!

I did it a little different that ya'boy ^^^^^ in the video , I used stainless screws cause the blaster box is outside , but covered , it was $28 for the hardware to do the top glass and $11 for the 12 x 24 glass , regular glass not safety glass , which might be a mistake on my part , the old glass was not safety glass , but it was sandwiched in between a sheet of plastic and a plastic film 

Y+RIk6pRTsWZ%NHTHEIIOg.jpg

• Like 1

Wall hanger 

I guess I seen one too many of them Internet refurbish videos.  I had this rusted old school wrench that was my Grandfather’s.  It was in the bead blaster cabinet.  So I blasted it , gave it a  paint job and add a handle.  Can’t find a nut to fit the threads handle spline yet.   There are two numbers engraved in it 7-14.  Could it be July 1914 ?  

1E5583FC-DF24-4F02-B734-B0A9B8C40FE3.jpeg

• Like 1

Seen many exceptions to this chart , but for the most  part  it's true 

image.png

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Seen many exceptions to this chart , but for the most  part  it's true 

image.png

Chuckle that a 1/4" threaded nut is called a 1/4" nut but a 6mm threaded nut is called a 10mm nut by many.  You call it a 6mm nut and they look at you like you're crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Got a new tool and first report is all good , Ryobi rechargeable 3/8 3-speed impact  , I like it 

PW+Eq4llSXW44VoATFk2yA.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Got a new tool and first report is all good , Ryobi rechargeable 3/8 3-speed impact  , I like it 

PW+Eq4llSXW44VoATFk2yA.jpg

I refused to buy battery tools for a long time, because the dang batteries are so expensive, and you have to replace them from time to time whether you use them or not.  I was set on my air tools, but air tools are hard to get into tight spots.

Then I got a Milwaukee cordless M18 drill (got a screaming deal on it, with 2 batteries and a charger, buying used).  Then since I had a couple of batteries, I started adding tools.  Now I've got a pretty good assortment of M18 stuff, mostly bought used or on Black Friday deals.

The impacts were a game changer.  I got the small 1/4" impact that is great for the 10mm and 8mm bolts on these Hondas.  I got the big 2767 1/2" impact that is something like 1200 ft lbs, that will get just about anything undone.  And then a guy gave me a 3/8" impact similar in size to the one you have pictured.  Someone stole his Jeep, and when it was recovered, that 3/8 was in it, and he has Dewalt, knew I had Milwaukee so he gave it to me.

Those impacts are a LIFE SAVER when it comes to getting these Hondas apart.   I've saved a lot of time, busted knuckles, and cussing trying to get stuff apart since I got impacts.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 9:42 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I refused to buy battery tools for a long time, because the dang batteries are so expensive, and you have to replace them from time to time whether you use them or not.  I was set on my air tools, but air tools are hard to get into tight spots.

Then I got a Milwaukee cordless M18 drill (got a screaming deal on it, with 2 batteries and a charger, buying used).  Then since I had a couple of batteries, I started adding tools.  Now I've got a pretty good assortment of M18 stuff, mostly bought used or on Black Friday deals.

The impacts were a game changer.  I got the small 1/4" impact that is great for the 10mm and 8mm bolts on these Hondas.  I got the big 2767 1/2" impact that is something like 1200 ft lbs, that will get just about anything undone.  And then a guy gave me a 3/8" impact similar in size to the one you have pictured.  Someone stole his Jeep, and when it was recovered, that 3/8 was in it, and he has Dewalt, knew I had Milwaukee so he gave it to me.

Those impacts are a LIFE SAVER when it comes to getting these Hondas apart.   I've saved a lot of time, busted knuckles, and cussing trying to get stuff apart since I got impacts.

i am a dewalt guy through and through, i first got a drill and driver impact set, carrying bag came with it. when it came time to put a tow hitch on my sisters truck ( hers did not come with the tow package ), i went to a u-pull it place, found a hitch, dang near broke my hand trying to loosen the bolts. i called her up..told her i just spent 3 hrs unbolting this hitch, and messed up my hand in the process. she asked me how i did it ?..i told her..i had to smack the wrench alot with my hand to break the bolts/nuts lose. i then told her..you owe me a 1/2 impact driver !. she agreed..i went to lowes, bought a dewalt 1/2 impact driver, carrying case, and 2 batteries. was pricey ?..but lord..this thing is a life saver to say the least.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 12:26 AM, Fishfiles said:

image.png

i only go to harbor freight when i need a throw away tool..lol.

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2023 at 4:04 PM, shadetree said:

i am a dewalt guy through and through, i first got a drill and driver impact set, carrying bag came with it. when it came time to put a tow hitch on my sisters truck ( hers did not come with the tow package ), i went to a u-pull it place, found a hitch, dang near broke my hand trying to loosen the bolts. i called her up..told her i just spent 3 hrs unbolting this hitch, and messed up my hand in the process. she asked me how i did it ?..i told her..i had to smack the wrench alot with my hand to break the bolts/nuts lose. i then told her..you owe me a 1/2 impact driver !. she agreed..i went to lowes, bought a dewalt 1/2 impact driver, carrying case, and 2 batteries. was pricey ?..but lord..this thing is a life saver to say the least.

Yeah once I got the first impact (the little 1/4" M18 Impact) it was a game changer.  I use that one the most on the Hondas, but the big one is nice too.

I was worried that the cost of batteries would be awful over time, but (knocks on wood) I haven't had a single battery go bad yet.

Hey guys, was going through the shop and found a couple of master mechanic ratchets that aren’t working. My local hardware store used to be a true value store and would warranty them. They’re no true value stores that are close to my area. I was wondering if yall have any true value stores near yall.