TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

23 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

11$ plus 21$ shipping , I have the discount code too, but even then 8$ and free shipping is impossible to get close to.

you could always move down here ?!..lol.

It looks like it's a simple 4 wire switch. I would just jump some wires if your just trying to see if it runs.

• Like 1

Investing in stocking a years supply of particulate masks for personal/family use may be a wiser choice right now. Ignition switches will be readily available... but personal protection supplies may not be affordable for much longer.

20 minutes ago, retro said:

Investing in stocking a years supply of particulate masks for personal/family use may be a wiser choice right now. Ignition switches will be readily available... but personal protection supplies may not be affordable for much longer.

Im not sure if its China, or South Korea, but one of those countries made stock piling supplies illegal. Stock piling for profit, so warehousing supplies.

14 hours ago, retro said:

Yeah hows it going @TrxPipUK?

Well I haven't made much progress since I took the piston off the rod really.

I'd like to measure the I.D. of the top end of the rod but don't have an accurate enough vernia caliper or other tool to do it. I measured the wrist pin and and that has a O.D. of 21.01 mm, the service limit is 20.96mm so that's looking good. 

I'm also waiting on a valve spring compressor so I can get those valves out and clean them up. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Well I haven't made much progress since I took the piston off the rod really.

I'd like to measure the I.D. of the top end of the rod but don't have an accurate enough vernia caliper or other tool to do it. I measured the wrist pin and and that has a O.D. of 21.01 mm, the service limit is 20.96mm so that's looking good. 

I'm also waiting on a valve spring compressor so I can get those valves out and clean them up. 

ya don't need a valve spring compressor to remove the valves !..( you do need it to put them back in though ! ), take a socket the same size as the valve spring caps, lay it on top of the spring, hold it tight on top of it, give it a good quick smack with a hammer, presto..valve spring retainers will pop loose.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shadetree said:

ya don't need a valve spring compressor to remove the valves !..( you do need it to put them back in though ! ), take a socket the same size as the valve spring caps, lay it on top of the spring, hold it tight on top of it, give it a good quick smack with a hammer, presto..valve spring retainers will pop loose.

Ah that's good to know!

I'll be getting a compressor anyway to put the valves back in. I don't trust myself not to break something with the hammer and socket method lol.. So I'll wait for the compressor lol 🙂 Thanks for the tip shade 

17 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Ah that's good to know!

I'll be getting a compressor anyway to put the valves back in. I don't trust myself not to break something with the hammer and socket method lol.. So I'll wait for the compressor lol 🙂 Thanks for the tip shade 

yw, been doing it this way for years, breaking them down is easy, but like I said, you need the tool to put them back together..lol.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, shadetree said:

yw, been doing it this way for years, breaking them down is easy, but like I said, you need the tool to put them back together..lol.

Yeah hahah

Do you have a new cam chain and right side cover gasket yet? You could swap the new chain in while you're waiting on stuff if you do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, retro said:

Do you have a new cam chain and right side cover gasket yet? You could swap the new chain in while you're waiting on stuff if you do.

I have a new cam chain but no right side gasket 

9 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

I have a new cam chain but no right side gasket 

didn't we tell you to buy this gasket..like 20 pages back ??..lol. what the heck have you been doing all this time ???..lol.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

didn't we tell you to buy this gasket..like 20 pages back ??..lol. what the heck have you been doing all this time ???..lol.

Yeah you did haha. I looked for one back then but the only thing on fleebay in the UK is this full gasket kit which isn't cheap. So I wanted to wait until I knew if I'd need the top end gaskets or not before buying. I'll order it up now though 🙂

Screenshot_20200229-161949_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

So while I wait for the gasket kit and valve compressor to arrive. Can I start taking that right side cover off and change out the cam chain? 

3 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

So while I wait for the gasket kit and valve compressor to arrive. Can I start taking that right side cover off and change out the cam chain? 

yes, if ya remembered to drain the oil ?.

• Like 1

aren't you splitting the cases on this motor ?..if you are ?.,,then just wait until your get that far when going back together.

7 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Can I start taking that right side cover off and change out the cam chain?

Yep, you are still in exploratory mode (looking for water/trash contamination in the cases) as well as beginning your repairs, so drain the oil into a clean container and snoop for water or debris in it.

Refer to the service manual for guidance if ya have a copy handy, and take pics if you can. Remove the foot brake lever, oil cooler hoses and oil filter (look for shavings & junk trapped in the folds), kickstart lever, switches cover and sub-harness, reverse lockout lever etc., and begin to take the right side cover off. Don't snap any cover bolts off... if you run into a problem hollar at us so we can help ya. Once you get the cover loose begin to pull it off while tapping on the end of the kickstarter shaft lightly to keep that shaft from pulling out with the cover. Tapping on the shaft will save ya some time later on if you can keep those ratchet mechanisms from separating.

Remove the cover carefully, you will notice a thrust washer and o-rings that are loose. Pull the oil strainer screen out of the lower case once you get the cover off for inspection and show us the debris that you'll find in the bottoms of those cases.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, shadetree said:

aren't you splitting the cases on this motor ?..if you are ?.,,then just wait until your get that far when going back together.

No I wasn't planning on splitting the cases if I don't have to lol. I was only planning on taking the right side cover off to replace the cam chain. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, retro said:

Yep, you are still in exploratory mode (looking for water/trash contamination in the cases) as well as beginning your repairs, so drain the oil into a clean container and snoop for water or debris in it.

Refer to the service manual for guidance if ya have a copy handy, and take pics if you can. Remove the foot brake lever, oil cooler hoses and oil filter (look for shavings & junk trapped in the folds), kickstart lever, switches cover and sub-harness, reverse lockout lever etc., and begin to take the right side cover off. Don't snap any cover bolts off... if you run into a problem hollar at us so we can help ya. Once you get the cover loose begin to pull it off while tapping on the end of the kickstarter shaft lightly to keep that shaft from pulling out with the cover. Tapping on the shaft will save ya some time later on if you can keep those ratchet mechanisms from separating.

Remove the cover carefully, you will notice a thrust washer and o-rings that are loose. Pull the oil strainer screen out of the lower case once you get the cover off for inspection and show us the debris that you'll find in the bottoms of those cases.

Okay great. 

I drained the oil a while ago and replaced the old oil filter and engine oil. This was before I knew the engine was bust lol. I remember a few bits of grey/white ish gunk come out but not loads. The old oil filter was in good condition as well and not filled with crap. 

When I started doing this work I drained the fresh oil I'd put in as I knew I was gonna be doing the cam chain. That oil came out looking good with nothing in it. I'll check out that fresh oil filter I put in and see how that looks when I go to remove that cover. 

Might get into it today, but if I don't it will have to wait till the weekend... bit busy with life stuff at the moment lol

Thanks guys. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Okay great. 

I drained the oil a while ago and replaced the old oil filter and engine oil. This was before I knew the engine was bust lol. I remember a few bits of grey/white ish gunk come out but not loads. The old oil filter was in good condition as well and not filled with crap. 

When I started doing this work I drained the fresh oil I'd put in as I knew I was gonna be doing the cam chain. That oil came out looking good with nothing in it. I'll check out that fresh oil filter I put in and see how that looks when I go to remove that cover. 

Might get into it today, but if I don't it will have to wait till the weekend... bit busy with life stuff at the moment lol

Thanks guys. 

translation ^^^..shade's gonna get his motor out, apart, go through it, fix it, back together, back in the frame, and running before i get this one fixed and running ?!..lol.

• Like 1

Take your time Pip. Life is your 1st hobby, you'll be riding soon.

• Like 2

Thanks @retro. Gonna go have a little play now. Take some things off ready to get the cover off 🙂

• Like 1

Is it something to be concerned about if the reverse lever shaft pushes in and out slightly?

20200303_185211.jpg