TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

45 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I bet your glad you opened it up , that nasty stuff would have made grinding compound out your oil 

Got any tips on cleaning that crap out? Lol

Diesel is cheaper than mineral spirits , maybe diesel first to get the majority of the sludge , then some mineral spirts to finish it up and so it will dry , compressed air along the way if you got it  , some might use gasoline , little dangerous , 6 cans of part and brake cleaner maybe 

----- it is like skinning a cat , a bunch of ways to end up with the same thing , a skinned cat 

• Like 2

Hmm this doesn't look great... build up of rust. Do I need to take all the gears out to clean it?

20200331_160622.jpg

20200331_160630.jpg

20200331_160613.jpg

9 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Diesel is cheaper than mineral spirits , maybe diesel first to get the majority of the sludge , then some mineral spirts to finish it up and so it will dry , compressed air along the way if you got it  , some might use gasoline , little dangerous , 6 cans of part and brake cleaner maybe 

----- it is like skinning a cat , a bunch of ways to end up with the same thing , a skinned cat 

Thanks man no I don't have a parts washer 😞

Just now, TrxPipUK said:

Yeah I've got some of that 

Until I got a parts washer I always used cans of starter fluid. 

In fact, even with the parts washer I still get into the hard to reach spots with starter fluid.  It does a great job of cleaning and leaves no residue.

You will need to oil all your bearings after using it as it will totally clean everything out, including the bearings, and you don't want them spinning dry when you first crank the engine back up.

• Like 2

Do the best that you can Pip. You can use a scotchbrite pad to rub off any surface rust stains you encounter before washing those parts. Once you get everything clean don't forget to lubricate each moving part with fresh motor oil before reassembly.

EDIT: Jeep beat me to it. ^^^^ 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks guys. So I need to remove all the gears. How would you suggest cleaning around the balancer and crank shaft? 

20200331_165228.jpg

20200331_165220.jpg

7 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks guys. So I need to remove all the gears. How would you suggest cleaning around the balancer and crank shaft? 

20200331_165228.jpg

20200331_165220.jpg

once all the tranny parts, reverse idle gear is out, just hold the case upright, spray it down a lot, blow it out best ya can with air. i see no reason to pull the shift drum out, leave it in there.

• Like 2

Do I not need to pull the shift drum to get these gears out? 

Is this big gear the reverse idle gear? 

15856710415871823156626523557749.jpg

2 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Do I not need to pull the shift drum to get these gears out? 

Is this big gear the reverse idle gear? 

15856710415871823156626523557749.jpg

no, that gear at the top of pic, with a rod through it, thats your reverse idle gear. pull the rod with the shift forks, then pull the transmission ( main and counter shafts ) try to lift them out together as a set, there is washers on the very bottom of both shafts !!!, then pull the shift forks out, all that should be left in the case is the crank, and idle gear right next to the crank, leave those in the case.

• Like 1

Thanks @shadetree. I've just been looking at the service manual as well. I do have it just I forget to look lol. Sorry for the hassle. I'll try get those gears out tomorrow. Thanks again 

1 hour ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks @shadetree. I've just been looking at the service manual as well. I do have it just I forget to look lol. Sorry for the hassle. I'll try get those gears out tomorrow. Thanks again 

haha..your not being a hassle..maybe lazy ?..but deff not a hassle ..rofl.

• Haha 1

Here's some before and after pics from yesterday when I cleaned it out. Still need to get those gears out...

20200331_184148.jpg

20200331_184154.jpg

20200330_175420.jpg

20200331_165220.jpg

• Like 3

If you look at the 500 transmission I pulled you'll see what Shade is talking about, pulling the pin that holds the shift forks in place, then pulling the forks out, the shift drum out, and then pull the gear clusters out as assemblies, keeping them together.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

If you look at the 500 transmission I pulled you'll see what Shade is talking about, pulling the pin that holds the shift forks in place, then pulling the forks out, the shift drum out, and then pull the gear clusters out as assemblies, keeping them together.

Thanks man that's actually really helpful. 

• Like 1

I bought this gasket kit with what looks like everything I need. It's got a load of o-rings with it as well. Any idea where they all go and what I should be replacing? Thanks 

15858258724288103973087796254220.jpg

15858258880303204199104231088018.jpg

I would tell you , put one every place you find one that will fit , then you are most likely going to have a few left over 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I would tell you , put one every place you find one that will fit , then you are most likely going to have a few left over 

Yeah that's what I'll do. Just haven't seen many so far lol. Thanks 

So I've cleaned this gasket surface up best I could with a razor blade and It feels smooth to the touch. Does it look good enough to you guys? Or does it need to be completely shiny? 

Also, I've found a spot just above the fly wheel where it looks like someone has used a screwdriver to get the cover off. Will this be a problem? It's at the top so shouldn't leak oil right? 

Thanks 

20200402_181035.jpg

20200402_181052.jpg

20200402_181047.jpg

20200402_181110.jpg

15858478267026530947559994819540.jpg

20200402_181041.jpg

• Like 1