Raystrx350d

88trx350d

Just signed up, have a 1988 foreman trx350d.. I'm lost no spark. New coil, pick up coil, stator, new oem honda cdi box, new fuel pump, new fuel pump relay, new spark plug.  Had spark when I bought it. Had 2 bent exhaust valves, fixed those new valve seals new rings, now no spark, any help would be appreciated! 

Ray

• Like 2

Hello Ray, welcome to ATVH.... I'll start.... Are there any signs of rodent damage (wire chewing) bike been in storage for a while ? Can you feel the fuel pump pulse when the ignition is on and you push the start button ? When you replaced all those parts did you go with oem honda parts or china knock offs ? and the only part you replaced with a note (oem was the cdi) being you have one... I'm guessing you know Oem parts are getting hard to locate ,Any other systems she's showing you ? 

• Like 1

welcome ray, as for the cdi, as wilson said ^^, tons of chain knock-offs out there, as oem cdi's are discontinued today. last but not least, 1988 models are a ONE YEAR ONLY for the cdi's !. meaning, forget what ebay, amazon sellers '' claim '' ?, they may have sold you a cdi saying it fits all trx350's ?..where in fact..NO..they do not !..

• Like 1

Welcome to the best quad site on earth!

You did not mention if you replaced the ignition switch. You can either pull it apart and clean the contacts or just bypass the two wires that make contact. 

That was the reason my trx200sx did not have spark. Easy fix.

• Like 2

Welcome to the site Ray' , like Shade' mentioned , most of  the 350A ( ac )  electrical parts will not work on a 350D ( dc ) , could you have maybe got the wrong part ?  ----  what caught my mind on your post was the bent valves , did you figure out what caused them bent valves  ? --- Maybe a timing chain issue or  water ingestion  bent valves ? 

I like to try easy things first :  try a brand  new spark plug  >>>   remove the spark plug cap off the wire ,  cut 1/4 off the coil wire and attach the cap  >>>> spray WD40 into the kill switch while working it back and forth to possibly clean any corrosion off the contacts  >>> check all the fuses with a test light to ensure that have voltage to and thru them >>> like Wilson says , look for mous'asis damage to the wiring 

• Like 1

Welcome You changed stator too? Wow that a little bit of work there!

where did you get the new OEM CDI? That’s a great pick.

Download the service manual if you don’t already have one.

do a load test on your battery first. You must have a good battery. 
then I would inspect all the wiring 
At switch on, you must have a steady neutral light and your oil light should come on momentarily and then go out?

It’s possible for cut wiring to inhibit spark. So I pulled off my fenders and inspected every inch. I found my yellow/red wire from the fuzebox chewed through. of course mine is an 86 A and you have the Revolution Research Line 88D CDI.

0CF7DD2D-9DBF-4FF0-97DD-7B77425C20AF.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Like Fish mentioned that kill switch on the left handlebar switch is overlooked a lot and on these machines a very common problem.

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Hello Ray, welcome to ATVH.... I'll start.... Are there any signs of rodent damage (wire chewing) bike been in storage for a while ? Can you feel the fuel pump pulse when the ignition is on and you push the start button ? When you replaced all those parts did you go with oem honda parts or china knock offs ? and the only part you replaced with a note (oem was the cdi) being you have one... I'm guessing you know Oem parts are getting hard to locate ,Any other systems she's showing you ? 

Thanks for the reply. Uncovered the wiring harness checked all grounds, harness looks nice. Did buy cheap ebay cdi didn't work found a oem out of NY 202 dollars with shipping 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goober said:

At switch on, you must have a steady neutral light and your oil light should come on momentarily and then go out?

It’s possible for cut wiring to inhibit spark. So I pulled off my fenders and inspected every inch. I found my yellow/red wire from the fuzebox chewed through. of course mine is an 86 A and you have the Revolution Research Line 88D CDI.

I have all the plastics off, found the oem box in NY 202 dollars with shipping. Battery is brand new fully charged.  Bought a new service manual.  Everything passes specs.  I did take switch apart and tie the bw wire to the green and red if I remember correctly, it spins over with the button.. safety number switch lights up, oil light for a min the goes out. I even replace, neutral reverse and oil temperature switch. 

26 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Like Fish mentioned that kill switch on the left handlebar switch is overlooked a lot and on these machines a very common problem.

I tied the 2 switch wires together spins over with button, black and white and yellow and black I think.

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

welcome ray, as for the cdi, as wilson said ^^, tons of chain knock-offs out there, as oem cdi's are discontinued today. last but not least, 1988 models are a ONE YEAR ONLY for the cdi's !. meaning, forget what ebay, amazon sellers '' claim '' ?, they may have sold you a cdi saying it fits all trx350's ?..where in fact..NO..they do not !..

Thank you. I ordered it from a honda dealership in NY was 202 with shipping.. I'm at a loss smh, if I had any hair I'd pull it out lol.. I have battery voltage at the cdi on bw wire but no battery voltage on the 4 pin part. Is there suppose to be battery voltage there?

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to the site Ray' , like Shade' mentioned , most of  the 350A ( ac )  electrical parts will not work on a 350D ( dc ) , could you have maybe got the wrong part ?  ----  what caught my mind on your post was the bent valves , did you figure out what caused them bent valves  ? --- Maybe a timing chain issue or  water ingestion  bent valves ? 

I like to try easy things first :  try a brand  new spark plug  >>>   remove the spark plug cap off the wire ,  cut 1/4 off the coil wire and attach the cap  >>>> spray WD40 into the kill switch while working it back and forth to possibly clean any corrosion off the contacts  >>> check all the fuses with a test light to ensure that have voltage to and thru them >>> like Wilson says , look for mous'asis damage to the wiring 

Not sure what caused the bent valves I bought it that way..  it's same part number on the cdi that was on it when I bought it and it was getting spark then.

5 hours ago, Snow Camo said:

Welcome to the best quad site on earth!

You did not mention if you replaced the ignition switch. You can either pull it apart and clean the contacts or just bypass the two wires that make contact. 

That was the reason my trx200sx did not have spark. Easy fix.

I bypassed the switch still no spark

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Harness looks like new.. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Did all this.. still no spark.. I'm just stumped. 

1 hour ago, Raystrx350d said:

I bypassed the switch still no spark

I may of missed, but have you checked the grounds going to the frame?

I believe it is the green and white wire at the cdi that goes to ground. If you have a voltmeter you can check continuity of that wire to ground.

Edited by Snow Camo

6 hours ago, Raystrx350d said:

Did all this.. still no spark.. I'm just stumped. 

bad stator ?, or bad reg/rec ?..or both !..lol. if it was firing before you tore it down ?,  then back track your work, and go through the process of what you may have done different ?. aslo, a bad fuel pump relay will keep it from firing spark plug.

• Like 1

Yes check stator leads, pulse generator for spec. resistance 

what stator did you use? Oem not available I don’t think

Edited by Goober

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

bad stator ?, or bad reg/rec ?..or both !..lol. if it was firing before you tore it down ?,  then back track your work, and go through the process of what you may have done different ?. aslo, a bad fuel pump relay will keep it from firing spark plug.

Plus ^^^^^ Back track.... As shade says.... You HAD a spark before all the replaced parts, work, etc.....could very well be a oem part you replaced with china junk failed... Thanks for updating us... The more we know...  better help can be provided.... And pics / videos are a BIG Help! Speaking of....did the oem cdi come from a private vender in New York ?? Or honda dealership ? And last question .... You say the safety number switch lights up  .... Are you referring to the green neutral light ?  

10 hours ago, Snow Camo said:

I believe it is the green and white wire at the cdi that goes to ground. If you have a voltmeter you can check continuity of that wire to ground.

I checked it with a probe and all the way through the harness is getting ground. No power on the blue wire with yellow strip going to cdi. Black and white wire has battery voltage.  

21 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

New here sorry, did I reply to this post? 

If not I apologize but I will.

10 hours ago, Snow Camo said:

15 hours ago, Goober said:

What is that revolution research line?

I have all the fenders off.