bigcountry78

2001 rancher refresh

23 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

Success boys and girls. After parking my truck on this tire for another 24 hours, I was able to get the beads busted. These 589’s are no joke, and jeez they’re heavy. Got the second one broken down and spent some

time on both rims with a drill and wire wheel. Managed to get my shirt wrapped up in the wire wheel. Sorry, no pictures of that, I was too busy cleaning my shorts out. Anyway, after the wire wheel I hit both beads with some emory cloth to smooth them out. I’m hoping my effort pays off and the beads don’t leak. The front tires seem to be holding air so far so we’ll see. In my opinion Bridgestone is an upper tier tire so I hope these will hold up well. My only real complaint with the mud lites is that I couldn’t get the dang things to hold air. While I had it up I took the axle housing off and greased the bearing in the tube. Now I just gotta get some plasti dip and get the rims all one color. But at least it’s down on all 4 paws. And on a positive note, I’m getting pretty dang handy with a set of tire irons lol.

IMG_6213.jpeg

IMG_6214.jpeg

i see my brother's tractor in the background ?!..lol..i've got the b2100 model, brought it back from the dead all on my own, never worked on them until a couple yrs back, that auto tranny cost a good penny in parts !!. some jb weld, some sanding, long hrs !!..and it runs and drives..love it.

• Like 2

as for breaking down tire beads ?..lol..well..i've been doing this for many yrs. i always use my front tire on my truck. i will drive my truck tire up onto the tire..then carefully mind you !..work the front tire right next to the wheel bead, all i need to do is get a gap ( i noticed you had this gap when you had the board on the bead with your truck tire )..once you get a gap ?, spray some wd-40 ( this is my go-2 lube )..into the gap...or..you can use some dawn liquid soap in the gap. the trick is keep spinning the wheel..each and every time i drive my truck tire up to the wheel bead..all while working the truck tire right next to the wheel bead. i back off..spin wheel..drive back on. this has worked for me many times. the worst time i ever had was breaking down the oem tires on my '89 trx350D way back when i first restored it...took me about 1 1/2 hrs on each rim to get the bead broke down !. mind you..these were the oem tires that were on it from the time it left the factory, and never have been replaced, they were soooo rusted on the rim bead...is why it took me so long to get the bead broke down. if the rim lip is bent ? ( like i see in your last pic ) clamp some vise grips on the bent part, simply pull the bend back out. when re-mounting tires back on the wheel ?, grease both sides of the tire bead, as well as grease the wheel bead from about 2 inches from the lip..inwards, this makes it sooo much easier for the tire bead to expand ?, AND...THE GREASE WILL MAKE IT EASIER FOR THE TIRE TO NOT ONLY SEAT THE BEAD ?..BUT ALSO KEEP IT FROM RUSTING IN THE FUTURE !. 30 plus yrs of doing this kinda work...i've learned a few tricks of the trade to make my work easier.

• Like 2

That’s a B2400, 4x4. It belongs to my father in law, but he never uses it so I keep it at my house. Same for the grasshopper zero turn mower in front of it. He has two so I keep one at my house since my mower died. It’s way overkill, but it’ll last me forever.

I used wd40, but maybe starting fluid is easier. I ended up using your method with the tires as well. I would drive up on the board to get the bead separated, then turn my truck wheel and drive over the tire. Stop and turn my wheel back and forth. But I was by myself, so it was get in, drive up, twist and turn, then back down, get out, readjust tire, get back in truck, and repeat. I mean, it only took two days lol.

• Haha 1

Let me guess manual transmission ? Lol! Hm..... starting fluid to break down a tire ? Well yeah suppose it would work.... even heard some nut at local co-op couldnt get one to break down so dim bulb knucklehead loaded the tire up with ether... yup! Exploded right off the rim..(bout 50 feet starlight up and the rim left behind a foot print in the parking lot) ....Columbia fire deparment and columbia pd wernt so pleased being paged out for an explosion right behind hospital.... 

• Like 1

lol I’ll bet not. No it has the hydrostatic transmission. It’s nice to have, just have to make sure you use low range whenever you’re pulling anything. I just wish I had a trailer big enough to haul it, my trailer is a 6x12 single axle. I don’t feel like it’s quite big enough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

lol I’ll bet not. No it has the hydrostatic transmission. It’s nice to have, just have to make sure you use low range whenever you’re pulling anything. I just wish I had a trailer big enough to haul it, my trailer is a 6x12 single axle. I don’t feel like it’s quite big enough.

mines hydro as well, thats the part i had to fix !..and it was rough pulling it part by myself..but i did it.  and yes..i am by myself as well when busting tire beads down. i do not use a board, i simply drive straight at the tire, then get my truck tire next to the rim center, then turn my truck tire around the center rim bead, pops the bead every time. maybe you need a chevy tire ?..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, shadetree said:

mines hydro as well, thats the part i had to fix !..and it was rough pulling it part by myself..but i did it.  and yes..i am by myself as well when busting tire beads down. i do not use a board, i simply drive straight at the tire, then get my truck tire next to the rim center, then turn my truck tire around the center rim bead, pops the bead every time. maybe you need a chevy tire ?..lol.

Honda made a hydrostatic 4wheeler.  You should get one!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Not even touching that one ^^^^ 

11 hours ago, shadetree said:

maybe you need a chevy tire ?..lol.

Oh man hes started on tire brands....

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:00 AM, shadetree said:

I used to be a hardcore Chevy guy. Now, I own a Toyota, a Nissan and two Hondas lol. There’s not a domestic to be seen in my yard. Well, there’s a dodge charger, but that belongs to the county. Definitely not my first choice.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:31 AM, jeepwm69 said:

You sir, have lost your mind lol.

Walked out to the shop today to grab something and kicked the tires as I walked by. All four seem to be holding air like they should, so I guess all the work has paid off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2024 at 2:26 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

Import magisium i think ? Is the right color ... @toodeep ? Do you know how many years that paint color was used ? And on what models ? All i was told was the 300 wheels and engine is where that color was used... i never researched it, but from my own testing... plasti-dip bright aluminum is about as close as one can get.... i looked high and low for the longest time for import magnesium paint.. even hit a few custom paint dealers... no one could help me out.. and the few times i was able to locate it online... the cost was astronomical ... trick to dipping with PD.... many many many thin coats... and the longer it stays the tougher it gets .... this is the end result... i think a purdy good match to the color of the crank case (stock color)... i only clean these with viniger... nothing else.. and they do shed muck and slop better then stock paint... the catch is do not use anything with petroleum products on plast-dip for any reason but one... and thats to deslove the little patches left over (after peeling if any) before completely re shooting.... dw-40 is an instant PD desolver. 

IMG_8870.PNG

How many cans did you use? I looked on amazon and that stuff goes for about $23 a can. Kinda steep, but if I only need a couple cans that might be the route I take.

On 3/22/2024 at 10:31 AM, jeepwm69 said:

and you should just bite me !..rofl.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

Well, there’s a Dodge Charger, but that belongs to the county.

Hm.... interesting statement ^^ being myself and bcs and severely addicted to on parol live ... that statement right here got our attention...it wouldnt be black in color and known for loosing Arkansas LE on HIGH speed chases now would it ? Oh we wont turn you in...IF ? The BRIBE is HIGH enough  HINT HINT @bcsman ^^^

On 3/22/2024 at 10:31 AM, jeepwm69 said:

No comment ^^^^

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

and you should just bite me !..rofl.

Saw that one coming ^^^^

i got these two jokers just where i need them now.... uh huh... who derailed the topic this time ? Nevermind those two.... LOST cause...  

Lol!

Being its been a few years .. best i recall one can for me was more then enough for 3 wheels.... and i dont think theses guys were so deep into PBing wheels... id go with what they recommend.... i have yet to watch this vid all the way but from the part i saw.. much better and simpler .. then i did (pulled mine off but didnt do the back side not messed up)

IMG_7052.JPG

• Like 1

Haha no, mines a marked sheriff patrol car, and they like for me to behave myself. I’ll check that video out, I’ve heard a lot about plastic dip but I’ve never looked into it myself.

• Thanks 1

So if a guy wanted to remove the warn 424 kit and make it full time 4x4 again, is a stock front drive shaft the only part I would need? I’d have to source one as I didn’t get the original when I bought it. Thinking about removing it and putting new stickers on the sides to cover up the mounting holes.

5 minutes ago, bigcountry78 said:

So if a guy wanted to remove the warn 424 kit and make it full time 4x4 again, is a stock front drive shaft the only part I would need? I’d have to source one as I didn’t get the original when I bought it. Thinking about removing it and putting new stickers on the sides to cover up the mounting holes.

Yep.   Stock front driveline.  Most people on the 350's do a 400AT front diff swap, which gives you selectable 4wd with an electric switch on the handlebar (stock looking).

Should be easy to find a front driveshaft cheap if you want to go back to full time 4x4.

• Like 1

Well, at $170 a new one is out of the question. Just kicking the idea around for now, but the 400AT mod looks appealing too.

Thanks for the links, those are much better prices. I like the concept of the 424, but I can appreciate the simplicity of full time 4x4. I can also appreciate the clean looks of the 400AT route. Decisions decisions. Maybe one day I’ll actually ride the thing more than I work on it.

8 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

Thanks for the links, those are much better prices. I like the concept of the 424, but I can appreciate the simplicity of full time 4x4. I can also appreciate the clean looks of the 400AT route. Decisions decisions. Maybe one day I’ll actually ride the thing more than I work on it.

maybe one day you will hit your state lottery too huh ?..lol.

9 hours ago, shadetree said:

maybe one day you will hit your state lottery too huh ?..lol.

Yea, about the same odds for both hahaha.

What’s the general opinion, black rims or silver? Started thinking about mounting the front tires on the black wheels and leaving at that.

IMG_6234.jpeg

• Like 1

I think I’m just gonna paint the rears silver. Not a fan of black wheels in general, and after looking at these in the daylight, I like the silver better.

Lol you're a glutton for punishment. I say go with silver. But with that said I have black rims on my rancher. 

• Like 1