AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

Hi and welcome to the forum! 

I’d be glad to help. I’ll send my contact information to your message 

-AKATV

I recently bought a 98 Foreman 450 and the speedo has some intermittent issues with display, no neutral light, as well as the backing plate got wrecked. Anyone have any advice? 

PXL_20230327_013338480.jpg

PXL_20230327_014421328.jpg

PXL_20230327_015746125.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

You have a few things going on there -

your LCD glass has internal damage and in order to get rid of the black spots that are on it you’ll need to replace the glass

Your neutral light could be burned out, or it might be your gear position switch, easiest way to test It is to ground out the light green and red wire and see if your neutral light comes on.

if it doesn’t, then your LED will need to be replaced

The broken back plate can be replaced

If you’d like me to source the parts or to help with a repair, I’ll send my contact information to your message box

AKATV

On 3/7/2020 at 2:57 PM, AKATV said:

I just finished repairing a speedometer display with heavy sun UV burnout for our member LedFTed this morning

I wanted to show results of UV damage repair, other than the reprogramming that I do

Before and after pics below-

my phone reflection in 2nd picture- not screen defect .....😊

IMG_5243.JPG

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

On 3/7/2020 at 2:57 PM, AKATV said:

I just finished repairing a speedometer display with heavy sun UV burnout for our member LedFTed this morning

I wanted to show results of UV damage repair, other than the reprogramming that I do

Before and after pics below-

my phone reflection in 2nd picture- not screen defect .....😊

IMG_5243.JPG

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

Hey AKATV,

I have a 1998 Honda Foreman ES with the sun fade problem. Are you still providing this service? 

Thank you

Hi and welcome to the forum !

Yes, I am still doing repairs from time to time. I can send you my contact information to your message box if you’d like to look into a repair.
AKATV

Welcome to the forum!

I will send my contact information to your message box right now

AKATV

35 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Hi and welcome to the forum !

Yes, I am still doing repairs from time to time. I can send you my contact information to your message box if you’d like to look into a repair.
AKATV

PXL_20230403_003038588.jpg

I can tell you right now you’re going need almost to complete speedometer with your top cover broken out like that, that means water has gotten inside and ruined your circuit card. I can tell by looking at your LCD that your display glass has failed internally as wel, so you going to need at a bare minimum , a circuit card, an LCD display  and a top cover

Just to be sure, you might want to go ahead and remove your top cover or what’s left of it and take a look at your circuit card but I can almost 100% guarantee that it’s going to be water damaged

Post a few pictures of what you find

AKATV

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Let me know what year, make and model that you have and what your issues are. 

If you can post a picture or two with it powered up and your headlights turned on so the back light is illuminated it helps a lot.

I will send my contact information to your message box

AKATV

Beastmode Work !!!!! AKATV did his Magic. I have had my 2003 Honda 450 ES for 20 yrs. About 5 yrs ago the Odometer was fading and then went blank. I couldn't see what gear I was in or my speed. I could still drive my machine, but it was hella frustrating. I have been trying to find the part on ebay and all the ATV sites, but backorder and wrong parts kilt me. I reached out to AKATV via this site and he told me what the problem was after looking at my pics. he assured me, he could fix it. I was worried about a scam. He gave me his background and off we went. I sent the part to him and he repaired and and sent it back to me. he had it in the mail after just 1 day of having the part. He is beastmode and honest. I recommend all who has the same problem to send it to him. My Odometer looks brand new again. Thank you AKATV 

ATV 1.jpg

ATV 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2023 at 4:25 PM, AKATV said:

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Let me know what year, make and model that you have and what your issues are. 

If you can post a picture or two with it powered up and your headlights turned on so the back light is illuminated it helps a lot.

I will send my contact information to your message box

AKATV

AKATV, can you please message me your contact information and email address. a have  a 2005 rancher tsx350fe that I would like the display rebuilt on. 

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Glad to help- I will send my contact information to your message box

Don’t forget to download a free Honda factory service manual from our library if you don’t have one
Hope to see you around the forum!

AKATV

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I am still doing work on the speedometers

I primarily do repairs for the Rancher 350 and

Foreman 450  and a few select others.
Let me know what you have going on and your year, make and model, and maybe a few pictures of it powered up with the headlights turned on so that the back light is on illuminating the display

I replied to your other message as well and sent my contact information to your message box

-AKATV

Hi and welcome to the forum!

When you say no display-do you mean it is  blank, unreadable or not coming on at all?

It really helps if you can post a picture of it powered up with your backlight turned on

(Headlights on) so the display is Illuminated and I can better see what repair if you need,

I will send my contact information to your message box as well

AKATV

I have a 1998 honda foreman 450es I bought for 500 dollars. The display is broken on it. The 3 lights work on top but the screen does not. When I turn off the key the neutral light will go dim and not shut off. The back of the screen does not light up when u turn on the key with the lights on.

Welcome to the forum!

If you’ve got LEDs that are on that shouldn’t be, even if dim, you possibly have water intrusion. 

I recommend first removing the top cover and checking for moisture or water damages

Let us know what you find out and post some pictures of your new wheeler- we all like to see those pics!

AKATV

Edited by AKATV

The engine runs like a swiss watch. The board doesnt seem to have water intrusion. Checked all the wires to make sure was getting proper connections up to the display. Does the display control the control motor aswell? 

20230506_202353.jpg

20230506_202147.jpg

20230506_202422.jpg

That’s good news that you don’t seem to have any water damage.

The speedometer does not play any function on motor operation
If you turn your headlights on so that the backlight is illuminated, and with it being dark outside-or cup your hands and looking into it ,can you see any trace of numbers or any data at all on the screen?

It’s possible that you just might have polarization film and damage from UV/sunlight damage over the last 20+ years

if that’s what we determine is wrong with it, I can definitely repair it for you

-AKATV

It’s very unusual, but not unheard of that your back light does not come on.
Do you headlights come on when you turn the headlight switch on?

Sounds like your data is most likely intact so that’s good. It means we won’t have to reprogram your speedometer. Most likely you’re just looking at polarization film, back light filter repair. I can send my contact information to your message box if you’d like to look into a repair or send any additional pictures.

Also, if you’d like to send it to me to check everything out to estimate a repair, there’s no charge for that other than $10.20 for shipping
-AKATV