AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

11 minutes ago, Kfed said:

Greetings!! I have a 2001 foreman 450ES with speedometer issues.  The PCB has corrosion, drains battery.  Wondering if AKATV would help me?

@AKATV

• Thanks 1

Water damaged boards are usually not cost-effective to repair, but post a few pictures of what you have going on and I can take a look

It really just depends on the extent of the damage  

Foreman 450’s have a battery drain issue -even with a good speedometer

Honda acknowledged this after the first year of production and made an in-line module that goes between the harness and the speedometer on later years

The reason I’m saying this is you might have corrosion on your speedometer circuit board and it might not have anything to do with your battery drain

Edited by AKATV

9 hours ago, AKATV said:

Honda acknowledged this after the first year of production and made an in-line module that goes between the harness and the speedometer on later years

Is this something that's available to add to older machines as a retrofit?

If so, what should I be looking for?

Good Morning AKATV, I have a 99' Foreman ES that has a sun faded screen as well, the case/plastic is clear as can be, its definitely the lcd screen.  It functions correctly with mileage, gear indicator and all other warning lights, just dim lettering and numbers.  Shoot me a message if its something you would be interested in repairing.  Thanks for providing this service, its nice keeping these old atv's functional!

3 minutes ago, 99450ES said:

Good Morning AKATV, I have a 99' Foreman ES that has a sun faded screen as well, the case/plastic is clear as can be, its definitely the lcd screen.  It functions correctly with mileage, gear indicator and all other warning lights, just dim lettering and numbers.  Shoot me a message if its something you would be interested in repairing.  Thanks for providing this service, its nice keeping these old atv's functional!

he will need to see a few pics of it, turn the lights on, light it up, take some pics. @AKATV 

Just now, shadetree said:

he will need to see a few pics of it, turn the lights on, light it up, take some pics. @AKATV 

No problem, I'll get some this afternoon of it.  Appreciate the response!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JRucker said:

if i'm not mistaken ?, this '' module '' is made into the display circuit board on the display itself ?, only way to update older displays is to replace the whole display/meter. if i am wrong ? ( happens alot lately..lol ), this module is somewhere on the wire harness ?..i do not know where though.

Just now, 99450ES said:

No problem, I'll get some this afternoon of it.  Appreciate the response!

yw :-), i dinged AKATV for you, he will be around soon to answer you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shadetree said:

if i'm not mistaken ?, this '' module '' is made into the display circuit board on the display itself ?, only way to update older displays is to replace the whole display/meter. if i am wrong ? ( happens alot lately..lol ), this module is somewhere on the wire harness ?..i do not know where though.

Alright, sounds like going out and running it more often sounds like an easier solution, lol.

1 hour ago, JRucker said:

Alright, sounds like going out and running it more often sounds like an easier solution, lol.

its deff cheaper to run them, or a battery tender on them when they are going to sit up for a few days ?.

18 hours ago, AKATV said:

Welcome to the forum!

Hope yours is not as bad as the one above, but if you can post a picture or two I can let you know if it looks repairable

I will send my contact information to your message box as well

So is there hope if it is burnt like above or is it a waste?

4 hours ago, JRucker said:

It is indeed a separate module it was made after the first year or so and was not built into the speedometer

I will send you a picture as well as a part number here shortly

it’s just basically a module about the size of a cigarette pack with 2 harness pigtails —one plugs into the speedometer and one plugs into the ATV harness where the speedometer would normally plug-in

Honda manufactured this  after the first year or so for the Foreman 450ES when they realized they had a drain issue

4 hours ago, 99450ES said:

Welcome to the forum !

I should be able to get you taken care of no problem like Shadetree said I just need a few pictures to really make sure what you have going on but it sounds like sunlight/UV damage

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Welcome to the forum !

I should be able to get you taken care of no problem like Shadetree said I just need a few pictures to really make sure what you have going on but it sounds like sunlight/UV damage

Thank you Sir!  I'll post the photos as soon as Im back home.  

Here is a picture of my PCB, its pretty nasty.  Will a 37200-HN0-771 speedometer work? Mostly linterested on gear position. And speed.20220919_180213.jpg

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

Shade,

Here is the module I  was speaking about-maybe you have seen one thru the years

A lot of people mislist them as a used part on ebay as a cdi, mystery module etc...

They were designed after the first year Honda 450ES came out in 98  to resolve a battery discharge problem

I believe the fitment was for 98-99 and the factory battery drain issue was POSSIBLY was resolved after that-hard to tell with so many having bad voltage regulators, leaving hot grips turned on etc...

Anyways just wanted to show you that it does exist, I think it has actually dropped off Hondas microfiche as well- It used to be on there a year or two back

The part number was 37290-HN0-305 Continuous Current Control Module   (Fancy talk for battery drain stopper...lol)

Here a link to a few NOS ones for sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202801256933?hash=item2f37e599e5:g:JrIAAOSwo4pYcn33&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8MlkzsWjqBSyAMfm3jY4WifFUQeyfqPQMz1Q39Qx7rkn%2BNGi0QEuTZV%2BjRUcocP%2Fgd9BlHwIw9hbEZL51lstz5GPj7rv9H8m%2F9518f0p5v5oZvlhCYNabcqZJjDx4mwp%2BHC5mBBMaf%2BD%2ByRpIDnyjigI5Dzz8sBO1DKTKqeh35E9UqZIas5UVy1%2BYQWiy%2B1LDfKGy%2BcZqtaSuy91UcXvrrdQ%2Bjy8qpthhpqv4Kluz7EfNSpyIiqIedEru0poMr2OlaeQW6HBwy%2FBdCWTDOlMuitmjbQPpx2AGqsAFUL1pyZpij7pQRjhexd82pxEBJ8KeA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR-DNlejsYA

Edited by AKATV
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kfed said:

Here is a picture of my PCB, its pretty nasty.  Will a 37200-HN0-771 speedometer work? Mostly linterested on gear position. And speed.20220919_180213.jpg

Thanks for the pictures

Unfortunately, your circuit card is not repairable.

When you have that much corrosion where parts are just falling off the board and the copper circuit traces do not remain on the board

as they have been shorted or corroded off,  it is just not cost effective to repair

I can most likely refurbish your LCD display as long as it is not cracked

You would have to source a new circuit card, or I can search for one for you

I will send my contact information to you as well

29 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Shade,

Here is the module I  was speaking about-maybe you have seen one thru the years

A lot of people mislist them as a used part on ebay as a cdi, mystery module etc...

They were designed after the first year Honda 450ES came out in 98  to resolve a battery discharge problem

I believe the fitment was for 98-99 and the factory battery drain issue was POSSIBLY was resolved after that-hard to tell with so many having bad voltage regulators, leaving hot grips turned on etc...

Anyways just wanted to show you that it does exist, I think it has actually dropped off Hondas microfiche as well- It used to be on there a year or two back

The part number was 37290-HN0-305 Continuous Current Control Module   (Fancy talk for battery drain stopper...lol)

Here a link to a few NOS ones for sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202801256933?hash=item2f37e599e5:g:JrIAAOSwo4pYcn33&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8MlkzsWjqBSyAMfm3jY4WifFUQeyfqPQMz1Q39Qx7rkn%2BNGi0QEuTZV%2BjRUcocP%2Fgd9BlHwIw9hbEZL51lstz5GPj7rv9H8m%2F9518f0p5v5oZvlhCYNabcqZJjDx4mwp%2BHC5mBBMaf%2BD%2ByRpIDnyjigI5Dzz8sBO1DKTKqeh35E9UqZIas5UVy1%2BYQWiy%2B1LDfKGy%2BcZqtaSuy91UcXvrrdQ%2Bjy8qpthhpqv4Kluz7EfNSpyIiqIedEru0poMr2OlaeQW6HBwy%2FBdCWTDOlMuitmjbQPpx2AGqsAFUL1pyZpij7pQRjhexd82pxEBJ8KeA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR-DNlejsYA

ok..i've only restored about 2 yr models back then, 1 was a 98, other was a 99, and neither one of them had this on them !. i guess i missed out on the '' fix '' .

43 minutes ago, Kfed said:

depending on what model this fits ?, if its a 450 or 450es ?, one or the other dpending on year ?, they do not have both the gear position and speed for read outs.

3 hours ago, AKATV said:

Welcome to the forum !

Here are the photos, let me know if you need anything else photographed.  Thanks again!

20220922_162321.jpg

20220922_162332.jpg

20220922_162314.jpg

Thanks a lot for the great photos it really does help

it looks like you have some pretty standard sunlight UV damage to your LCD display

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AKATV said:

Thanks a lot for the great photos it really does help

it looks like you have some pretty standard sunlight UV damage to your LCD display

Mines on the way!  I look forward to having a usable dash finally haha.  Thanks again for working on it.

AKATV has done it again! Send him a water-logged and destroyed board and he sends back a gem. 

9C7B6D3F-6E45-4084-A2A5-397E945CFBC5.jpeg

535E28B6-454C-4C09-8FA3-15A5D318BAA1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1