dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The one on the left in the top pic looks like a Rubicon carb.  The right one is the air cooled carb.

Honestly probably interchangeable, but that's the TPS difference in the two.

Link to the one you bought?

That aftermarket carb  also came with a fuel enrichment valve with spring and rubber boot a new cover and screw to cover the throttle cable and a fuel filter.  

Flipped my 300 upside down in the water today , my leg got stuck under the atv , I was pinched and couldn't get my leg out , almost drowned , lucky my buddies acted quick and got it off me quick ---- got a really bad bruised up thigh , black an blue and swollen ---- can't take a pic as I lost my phone , some kind of way the dry box opened and the phone went in the water , spent a few minutes feeling around on the bottom with no luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just saw this post.... I don't know what to say ..... Glad you had your buddies along.. Hope.. You get to feeling better.... You know th old rice trick with wet small electronics I'm sure... Whatn heck flipped ya ? I'm thinking hidden stump ? 

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Just saw this post.... I don't know what to say ..... Glad you had your buddies along.. Hope.. You get to feeling better.... You know th old rice trick with wet small electronics I'm sure... Whatn heck flipped ya ? I'm thinking hidden stump ? 

Woke up and it is swollen up pretty good and stiff , but no worst than last night 

I would have never been that far without at least one buddy  with me --- 

I was riding up on top and on side the ruts ,  blazing a new trail to by-pass some  bad stuff , ran out of real-estate and had to jump back into the ruts , it was  a far drop down and I went on a angle --- 

Rice trick wouldn't have work to well , if I could have found it ---- just recently the water proof Pelican /Otter Box phone  case got messed up , I contacted Pelican about the lifetime warranty , the box I had was military grade and cost $80 back when I got it , they told me they did not have any more of those I-11 style cases and offered me a cheap  clear plastic case that I could have got off e-bay for $11 with free shipping , and wanted to charge me $7.98 shipping , I told them to stick it up their butt , it was worth more to tell everyone to not buy Pelican or Otter box cause their warranty sucks , in hind sight , maybe  the cheap case would have saved it , if I could have found the phone 

The crew rode till 10:30 last night without me 

• Thanks 1

Man..... We aint as young as we used to be...glad your alright pal (i won't ever call anyone else bud)  I kinda thought maybe the phone was under too long but I'm no close to being an expert.... Just about a week ago i dropped a small fm transmitter in my tea..... Sigh... I thought for sure $120 plus bit the dust o to speek, but did the rice trick... Works just as good as the day i got it.. You got your wife's phone just in case ? Plus i reckon a backup for yourself ? Yeah i gotta an idea what happened from your words.... I wouldn't figure one of your bikes would flip easy... I mean i know there jacked, but also have those wheel spacers and that extra wide 250a rear end ? Or do i have this 300 mixed up with one of your others ? 

I just went out to check for damage , not too bad , bent the handle bar and that new right master cylinder lever just a little , the right front fender stay is bent cauusing the fender to buckle a bit ,  I got that looking better with just some hand bending , the mud flares / splash guards  just a little more messed up than they were ---- what got me is the floorboard , I can see now my thigh was pinched between the bottom of the rut and the floor board 

Here is a little bit of luck , my buddy's grandson had to go to work for 3:00  , he has a nice Can-am 570 XLM ( or what ever the letters are , sport model ) with lots of extras , so at 2:45 we went to one of the gates to the road , to save him going thru the woods , I opened the dry box and took out my keys , opened the gate  ,  then hooked the keys on my belt loop , which is about where I always put them , then I think I did not lock the box closed , that saved the keys , cause they would have been in that box also , but lost the phone 

6 minutes ago, riverc said:

Good you didn't drown or get seriously hurt.

Good thing , eh !!!   >>>>  I wouldn't have been able to post about if I drowned !!! 

Here is another fun fact , one of my buddies , who had a few too many , I could see him jump off the bike to help get the bike off of me , he must not have realized how deep the rut was , the rut  was full of water as we had a good rain the other day , he jumped off into the rut and he went down face first , once he went down I couldn't see him any more as I was pinned on my back , but I could see my other buddy go over to help him get up , I was like , dude , get this bike off of me ---- I have a lot more bruises that I thought , the second worst is my elbow is busted up 

8 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I just went out to check for damage , not too bad , bent the handle bar and that new right master cylinder lever just a little , the right front fender stay is bent cauusing the fender to buckle a bit ,  I got that looking better with just some hand bending , the mud flares / splash guards  just a little more messed up than they were ---- what got me is the floorboard , I can see now my thigh was pinched between the bottom of the rut and the floor board 

Here is a little bit of luck , my buddy's grandson had to go to work for 3:00  , he has a nice Can-am 570 XLM ( or what ever the letters are , sport model ) with lots of extras , so at 2:45 we went to one of the gates to the road , to save him going thru the woods , I opened the dry box and took out my keys , opened the gate  ,  then hooked the keys on my belt loop , which is about where I always put them , then I think I did not lock the box closed , that saved the keys , cause they would have been in that box also , but lost the phone 

Hope you got phone insurance they not cheap to replace. Good your bike is not damaged too much.

22 minutes ago, riverc said:

Hope you got phone insurance they not cheap to replace. Good your bike is not damaged too much.

Good question about insurance , they don't open till 12 on Sunday ,  but I doubt I have insurance as it was paid for and I transferred service from another carrier 

Well yesterday morning I was going to wash my 300.  I had forgot that after it flipped over upside down the day before  I had to kick start it as all it would do is click the solenoid.  I had tried jumping the solenoid in the woods and all it would do was spark. So after load testing the battery which was good. And kick starting it , the alternator tested good at 14.75 volts.  So I yanked an oem starter out a 300 engine I have. Swopped starters and it sounds better than it ever did.  Took that old starter apart to see what went wrong.  It was the brushes.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Leg looks rough.... How's it feel today... I recon the yellow colored stage will be next.... 

It looks worse today , think it is going to take a couple of months of Sundays for the black and blue  to go away >>> as long as I move around it is not too bad , when I sit for a bit and try to get going again is when it really hurts - guess I am lucky cause it could have been a lot worse 

I got a new phone I-11 out the deal , same as the old phone , I'd say it works better , clearer and works better inside the house 

2093ABFD-BD05-40CA-813F-19CADB6466B1.jpeg

• Like 3

Started back working on my 95 Red 300 , stuck the rocker box on , a couple of the bolts were giving me trouble  , one wouldn't start and the other was stripped , took the box off again and found one hole had a broken bolt 1/2 way down in the  hole , so I drill that one and a ez-out didn't work so I drilled it till it was about gone then ran a metric tap thru it and got that one going , the stripped out hole I drilled it up to 1/4 NC thread and tapped it , found a US bolt and cut it to the proper length  >>>>>>    adjusted the valves ------   got about 3 hours into that fiasco ,  didn't want any drill fragments getting onto the engine , and did not want to disassemble the engine ,  so I packed it full of Bounty paper towels , then vacuumed and blew out with air ---

tired of messing with it , think I am going to stick it to the side and eat lunch and have some beers 

UzJXS0seQh++LsFjt3Qwtg.jpg

MfIv9kF0RWmU%OLqOl4v9g.jpg

c3XTXDlEQ9+4DO5GTFVlig.jpg

1u8HZ8A+QMCgnGlbP1PGHg.jpg

SSaqWZ7hTR+OZhUPOB68XQ.jpg

• Like 1

I was digging for bolts in the shed and found this winch plate , don't know what model it might  fits , does it look familiar , any ideas ???

e3vmAw62SYu0QA8QHDTXxg.jpg

c5ZnSG17QvSvUWPWPPCMvA.jpg

I remember being on this road before , think I went with the bearing shield down ???  This is the 300 clutch cover 

Like in the first pic , the pic on top 

NXBKQoSbTnG0AbZ1d8h3Mg.jpg

NB9ZFl7%R0ifL1jPYwMtdg.jpg

I put in a new EBC Racing clutch kit #15-1806 DRC6 , came with h.d. springs , almost did not put them springs  in , had a set before and it is hard on your foot , but this 300 has a suicide shift lever , so I stuck them in ----- soaked the frictions in fresh oil for 15 minutes , think ( hope ) I don't have a friction pinched ,  had that happened before 

Putting  the shift clutch drum in was kind of hard , this one has 54% reduction , had to unbolt the new  ( to me ) oil pump to get it in and then tighten one of the bolts that hold the pump in 

One more  session and the engine will ready to stick back in  

mZlgega3RmGOHSYBDMhU3Q.jpg

XdhEymp1QcqXJ7a+%canjg.jpg

• Like 3

Changed 1 outer tie rod, replaced driveshaft seal, pulled carb & verified the cable was all good, set valve clearance. 

Heading out tomorrow to sight rifle in for hunting season. Need the quad top notch!

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

I pulled the left rear hub off the Rubicon I've been working on.  Broke one of the wheel studs off and was going to replace it.

Found a trashed hub, with deep grooves in the sealing surface.  Replaced the seal, and went ahead and drilled a hole in the axle tube, added a zerk, and put about 50 shots of grease in there.  Used a different hub I had on hand with a good sealing surface.  Bearing felt good and tight so left it alone.

Drained the diff, found some chocolate milk in there, so poured some stuff out of my parts cleaner in and turned it over until it cleared up, let it drain out, and then filled with fresh gear oil.

Pulled the brake side down then.  Both cables were seized, hub had bad grooves in the sealing surface.  Pads actually looked ok, as did the drum, but the cam was seized, and in working the pads back and forth to get them off, I noticed they are seized to the pins in the backing plate, so the pins were rotating, not the pads rotating on the pins.  Was full of dust, but no moisture, which was interesting. 

Pulled the whole backing plate off, dumped it in the parts washer, and called it a day.

I also spent a bit yesterday scrubbing the camo remnants off of the fenders that are going on this machine.  It will be a tan Rubicon when I put it back together.  The camo was about gone on several sections so I just cleaned it all off (aircraft remover and a scotch brite pad), will run down with some Wipe New to get the chalky stuff off.

Heat index has been 115-120 the last couple of days, so didn't spend long working outside either day.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I pulled the left rear hub off the Rubicon I've been working on.  Broke one of the wheel studs off and was going to replace it.

Found a trashed hub, with deep grooves in the sealing surface.  Replaced the seal, and went ahead and drilled a hole in the axle tube, added a zerk, and put about 50 shots of grease in there.  Used a different hub I had on hand with a good sealing surface.  Bearing felt good and tight so left it alone.

Drained the diff, found some chocolate milk in there, so poured some stuff out of my parts cleaner in and turned it over until it cleared up, let it drain out, and then filled with fresh gear oil.

Pulled the brake side down then.  Both cables were seized, hub had bad grooves in the sealing surface.  Pads actually looked ok, as did the drum, but the cam was seized, and in working the pads back and forth to get them off, I noticed they are seized to the pins in the backing plate, so the pins were rotating, not the pads rotating on the pins.  Was full of dust, but no moisture, which was interesting. 

Pulled the whole backing plate off, dumped it in the parts washer, and called it a day.

I also spent a bit yesterday scrubbing the camo remnants off of the fenders that are going on this machine.  It will be a tan Rubicon when I put it back together.  The camo was about gone on several sections so I just cleaned it all off (aircraft remover and a scotch brite pad), will run down with some Wipe New to get the chalky stuff off.

Heat index has been 115-120 the last couple of days, so didn't spend long working outside either day.

Jeep, what's the purpose of grease zerks on axle. The Big Red 250 has a zerk on each side when I tore it down replacing rear differential & wheel bearing it was packed with grease. Would it be a good idea to add some grease back in there since I cleaned most of it out?

28 minutes ago, riverc said:

Jeep, what's the purpose of grease zerks on axle. The Big Red 250 has a zerk on each side when I tore it down replacing rear differential & wheel bearing it was packed with grease. Would it be a good idea to add some grease back in there since I cleaned most of it out?

Doesn't really serve any purpose from a lubrication standpoint.  I do it to create a grease barrier to try to keep water from getting to the differential, should water leak in past the hub/axle tube seal.

On 6/26/2023 at 6:46 AM, Fishfiles said:

Well yesterday morning I was going to wash my 300.  I had forgot that after it flipped over upside down the day before  I had to kick start it as all it would do is click the solenoid.  I had tried jumping the solenoid in the woods and all it would do was spark. So after load testing the battery which was good. And kick starting it , the alternator tested good at 14.75 volts.  So I yanked an oem starter out a 300 engine I have. Swopped starters and it sounds better than it ever did.  Took that old starter apart to see what went wrong.  It was the brushes.  

I've found these 300 starters will go through a plastic screwdriver handle phase.  Usually long enough for the brushes to arrive.

• Like 2