Fishfiles

Food Channel

21 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Our local GFP spreads the fish cleanings on fields for fertilizer. it works good, smells terrible. That's after it's pumped out of the holding tanks (septic) so it's a liquid. Ash can work good as a fertilizer if your soil is needing the lime and other nutrients from it. Just like every fertilizer, too much can do damage. 

I learned an important lesson tonight, keep extra propane on hand. I thought my supply was good enough on my griddle but I was wrong. I had to resort to the electric griddle in the kitchen since I had everything prepared for the big one when it ran out of gas. Supper sucked and it took 3 times as long to do it. Time to get some tanks filled tomorrow, they should be happy filling them with the wind we are having.

does it smell worst that pig manure//, not that i want to smell it.. or actually want ya to know the difference..

never underestimate the power of garlic powder, when you make your burgers.

something else i found. a pal was cooking on the grill, burgers. E had, KY Colonel flour. not to be confused with the chicken place. just an egg, some milk, an flour.  while the burgers were cooking on the grill, E would paint them with this mix.. maybe some of the best burgers i ever had.. i had to eat 2 or 3, to be sure. normally, i am good for one..  

Edited by LedFTed
just because

Yes, it's fermented fish guts. It's nothing you want to be around if you don't have to. It does make crops grow though and the soil is poor down along the Missouri in most places so it's a win, win. 

I could tell what a customer raised by the smell of them when i was 14 or so. Dairy, range cattle, pigs, chickens etc. They all had a distinct smell that stuck with you. Pheasant hunting is big around here and you can smell the people that clean the birds in quantity for the money. i tried it one year helping a friend start out and I couldn't stand to be around myself. If you breath in enough of a dissatisfying smell it seems to come out the other end exactly the same for days.

• Like 1

i can see how this could mess with your sense of smell, one way or another.. the Great uncle, had a pig farm. no AC.. it seemed to never fail, come 6 pm, the breeze would be blowing towards the house, an dinner was on the table.. the breeze did cool the house down.. the smell, lets just say, food taste better, without this wind.

bird stink is the worst, come cleaning.

Edited by LedFTed
just because

'Ted , you got a way with words , who else could get all these words into the same paragraph  pig manure , bird stink ,  fermented fish guts , pig farm , dissatisfying smell ,  distinct smell , Diary farm smells : along with burgers , garlic , and a chicken plate 

I have seen documentaries and have read about the burning of trees to enhance the fertility of the soil , they say it works but is very short term ,  and all the nutrients are quickly removed by a couple of years of crops and won't sustain crops after that with out adding fertilizers , so what is happening in South America is they cut the forrest , burn it , plant two years , then cut down more forrest and keep repeating the process , which is deleting the forrest 

• Like 1

on the menu today , boiled Lake Ponchartrain blue claw crab , garlic , onions , celery , potatoes , corn , mushrooms , sausage ----jambalaya with chicken and sausage , grilled country style ribs , boudin , bake mac , and our first creame filled king cake of the season , Happy Mardi Gras  

fullsizeoutput_b4a.jpeg

• Like 1

Fish....That looks good crabs and all the other goodies  y'all having...I would eat till I can't take another bite lol.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 5:31 AM, Fishfiles said:

'Ted , you got a way with words , who else could get all these words into the same paragraph  pig manure , bird stink ,  fermented fish guts , pig farm , dissatisfying smell ,  distinct smell , Diary farm smells : along with burgers , garlic , and a chicken plate 

I have seen documentaries and have read about the burning of trees to enhance the fertility of the soil , they say it works but is very short term ,  and all the nutrients are quickly removed by a couple of years of crops and won't sustain crops after that with out adding fertilizers , so what is happening in South America is they cut the forrest , burn it , plant two years , then cut down more forrest and keep repeating the process , which is deleting the forrest 

When i was talking of wood burning, for fertilizer. it was the Inca's.. at Columbus arrival, before that era. the Incas did more than that, not just burning trees, to get fertile ground. [perhaps it was the sacrifices].. Scientist, still have not figured out how the Inca's got crops to grow. Perhaps they need volunteers..

the forest, that is being burned now, is just a waste of trees. they will create the Sahara, Africa...

Rumor, has it, the Spanish, and the Inca, did make one trade.. Smallpox, for Syphilis. that could explain the disappearance of the Inca's..

PS, i posted my BS at least twice, on this page. some others are posting as well. might not be even this page.

This i do know, certain smells, maybe what ya eat, what chemicals ya woke with, your body starts smelling like that. i cant prove it, but believe it is so.

like those that eat raw fish, smell fishy.. 🙂

Edited by LedFTed

18 hours ago, TBRider said:

Is that the eggs of a female crab?

Yes indeed , you eat them ??? Pretty tasty .... 

I haven't tried crab eggs, but I like the lobster eggs. They fish crab here but I don't see it as often as I do lobster.

• Like 1

@Fishfiles; i looked up hollandaise sauce in the Fannie Farmer cookbook.. its not mustard an Heilmann's mayo.. the sauce in that cookbook, was no where's neer as good. gimme the Heilmann's.. an mustard

• Like 1

I hear you T'ed , What I really consider Hollandaise sauce is like a sandwich spread concocsion  , I'd call it , Coon'nass Holly'day sauce = mustard and mayo , the real McCoy is a lot of work 

hollandaise sauce recipe:

Vigorously whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl and until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume. Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume. Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne and salt. Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use for the eggs benedict. If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.

I had to cook tonight so health food it is not.  Chislic and chips for supper. 

20200130_190941.jpg

• Like 4

is that your foot Fish, sticking out of a burlap bag at the grill? found another Irish butter. This time without olive oil added. same store, different brand. Kerrygold. let you know how it taste, when i get a Round Toit. My mom had a Round Toit on her fridge.

Someday never comes. CCR

Edited by LedFTed
just got too
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:56 AM, Fishfiles said:

I hear you T'ed , What I really consider Hollandaise sauce is like a sandwich spread concocsion  , I'd call it , Coon'nass Holly'day sauce = mustard and mayo , the real McCoy is a lot of work 

hollandaise sauce recipe:

Vigorously whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl and until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume. Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume. Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne and salt. Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use for the eggs benedict. If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.

sounds like work. i'll stick with the Hellman's+mustard for now..lol

• Like 1

I looked back at the first 3 pics 'T'Ed and never seen a foot in a bag !!!!????.... 

On 1/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, Fishfiles said:

on the menu today , boiled Lake Ponchartrain blue claw crab , garlic , onions , celery , potatoes , corn , mushrooms , sausage ----jambalaya with chicken and sausage , grilled country style ribs , boudin , bake mac , and our first creame filled king cake of the season , Happy Mardi Gras  

fullsizeoutput_b4a.jpeg

This is what i'm seeing.

They had dried corncob's, in burlap bags,at the men's outhouse. Was a three seater.

Eating breakfast this morning and a friend who is president of the local deer club gave me a 6 link pack of some  60% pork / 40% deer , jalepeano /cheese sausage , was processed in Pass Christian , I had the same combo from another processor last weekend and it was great , this will get grilled tomorrow for sure and taste tested 

fSYzp3XgTxmlyfEOP1MppA.jpg

1 minute ago, LedFTed said:

They had dried corncob's, in burlap bags,at the men's outhouse. Was a three seater.

that's an apron , LOL , no just kidding , that is my buddy pulled the sack off the top of the crabs , you do that so the ice has a barrier over the crabs , I was talking the pic 

1 minute ago, LedFTed said:

You remember thing's like that growing up.

no , we had an indoor outhouse with a Sears catalog , we lived big time , LOL 

TooDeep , you got a slicing machine to make them chips , if not then you have patiences and a skilled hand at cutting