Melatv

Weather

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

here if you do not alply for deep soil tillage ...and do with your land as you wish,  you get fined

If you don't like being owned, you'll have to stop supporting and participating in your govcorp. Thats your responsibility. Its called freedom. Turn your back and walk away, till your soil and grow something useful that benefits universe.

you can't ... any longer .. sad as it is .... farmers have roled over to follow the governments rule ....  they aply for crop insurance (farm disaster program) which can be taken away... here, it's all tied up in red tape ... but, i do agree.... our land (most) has cattle roaming around ... and what's rented to farmers for row crops is no tilled .... being there under rule, and regulation too..  it's not as simple as telling the USDA I'll do what i wish... many farmers get loans for barns,buildings, even farm equipment , even guaranteed commodity prices  ... and this to is regulated .. there also payed to let land lay completely unused for a certain amount time (years) I've been against goverment intrusion for years. 

30 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you can't ... any longer .. sad as it is .... farmers have roled over to follow the governments rule ....

Thats because all farmers are corporations. All corporate law (Admiralty law) is controlled by the parent corporation, govcorp. You can grow whatever you wish if you do not ever incorporate. In other words, stop accepting their currency as payment for your labors and goods, then you are free of their control edicts. Its your decision. And its a simple one.

no, no...we're not incorporate .... no farms around are...i understand ... this clear dislike for the goverment ... and it's completely understandable ....  this is hard to explain.... but too many farmers have already went this rout... because of goverment intrusion. and the almighty $...  and you can't grow what ever you wish...  without spending days doing paperwork for the USDA approval .... and the epa right there watching.... if they choose they can fine anyone land owner here... (over five acres)  regardless ... you would just need to walk in a farmers tracks to understand  the headaches .... i myself do not farm any longer .... and the reason is ... goverment intrusion ... newer more expensive less quality equipment ... commodity prices ... I'm not alone .... most farms around here, are scaling back, some have out right shut down ... 

just figure ... 30,000 (low balled) for a no till planter, much more for a combine ---- 50,000 to over 100,000 + , might as well figure 30,000 for hay equipment plus tractors $40,000 each  and the new ones out, are junk!! push button .. then the cost of fuel, parts for repairs .... plus the cost of just putting the seed in the ground , then spraying for weeds in crops fields , then dealing with what the weather does .. then harvesting ... and hoping prices will hold... I'm not new to this.. and have seen many farms go under ... due to all of these things ... not to mention trying to find good help, that will not destroy equiment, then you have trespassers .... grain / supplements  for cattle .... vaccinations .... and insurance ... on all the above... and now dairy farms dumping milk .... there is no winning ... unless you deal with the goverment , i for one WILL NOT, that's why i stopped farming ... now I'm just a land owner who chooses to rent .. i imagine ... I'll have to sell a good chunk very soon, and what bothers me the most ... my family worked very hard to get what we have ... to help provide for this country... and this is our pay back... ?? 

We agree then, except you are still talking about corporate farming being your only option. Ya wanna fix that? Till your soil and add nutrients to it naturally, don't use any chemicals or herbicides ever. Cured manure works great. Then mark out half acre and one acre plots and invite everyone to come grow their own gardens on your land. Don't accept any dollars for plot rental payment, accept only trades, whether its labor or goods from your clients. Thats just one simple option... use your imagination, talk to people and learn what other services or whatever they want and need, then work to provide it to them. As long as you do not use herbicides or chemicals, or irrigate or accept dollars, govcorp gots no power over you cause you're not acting as a corporation and you're not using any of their regulated stuff. Independent thinking is the main requirement.

yes, i agree.... but ... I'm not interested in farming ... any longer .... and goverment intrusion killed that dream .... I'd rather just not deal with those headaches .... were not talking small land, were talking thousands of acres .... it would be would be nice to pull that off, but around this area ... it won't work.....  besides .... and others who have moved in ... have no clue about farming .. or even raising a simple garden... for  me to invest in a venture like that... I'd  be cutting my own throat ....how ever.... i do wander what happened to the work ethic ... and i have talked this over with a few select friends .... no one is interested ...  and it was a hand full of people ... just not enough to do the job.... so yeah.... i went the best rout ... rented.. and even there, I'm taking a loss, but that i can shoulder.... even if this could pulled off, there's just too many people here, who would steal you blind of produce, equipment live stock etc ... and more and more people are moving out this way due to the hatred of city living.... it's just not doable ...I'll say this, if anyone else here in the forums has managed to make something like work... I'm open for ideas... but for now ... i , and my renters are happy with the agreements .. 

This guy got tired of local officialdom telling him what to do about his junk (threatening him, sending the sheriff out to hassle him) collection on his own land so he assembled all of his scrap metals into sculptured art and opened his land up to the public, free admission, 24/7/365, no strings attached. He eventually filed a land patent and posted a sign in the driveway at the entrance to his place that denies the Sheriff, the Tax assessor and all other "officials" legal access to his property. Their children are always welcome though! But govcorp officials are trespassing if they ever set foot on his property.

Lakenenland

He does NOT pay any property taxes or fees whatsoever and isn't required to. His land is exempt from all govcorp control and regulation since he filed a land patent on it. His place is a major tourist attraction nowadays. He is continually expanding, building more sculptures out of scrap metal and adding outdoor tourist comforts and attractions. He built a very nice fully equipped park over the years and he makes a healthy profit through voluntary donations only. School buses full of children arrive often during the summer months to spend an afternoon. Tour buses stop there, travelers on M-28 frequently stop to grill & picnic and use his modern bathroom facilities. He's got an old mine on the back edge of his land along with several buildings and leantoos filled with educational and entertaining stuff. There is a winding one lane road through his park that you can either walk or drive to visit all of the attractions. This dude converted tragedy into opportunity and enriched a gazillion lives doing it. His secret...? He has an incredible sense of humor and he loves to share with others!

No one have ever been asked to pay him a nickel to use his property. There are only two donation boxes on the entire place and ya gotta look for them to find them. The owner is never there unless he is building something new, yet the park stays clean and well kept by thoughtful visitors. Folks treat your stuff differently when they aren't paying ya for the privilege. The 2nd time I visited his park both donation boxes were stuffed so full that I couldn't stuff another 20 inside either one of them. I had to leave my donation inside his mailbox! Before I could get halfway through the attractions this guy have created all by himself I was looking for a way to support him, his park is that awesome!

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to swat govcorp parasites off your back.

I've already explained this as best i can.... I'm not going back to farming ... I'm happy with my deal... besides... I'm not at all interested in helping someone who wants a small plot .(Arm chair farmers) .. I'm all in it for up coming young farmers... ... those are who I'm invested in, and it's payed off, why would i want to stick my neck out for a gamble ... when actual real farming ALREADY is ?? 

Weld junk together like Tom Lakenen does then! Haha!

8 hours ago, retro said:

Weld junk together like Tom Lakenen does then! Haha!

Who's Tom Lakenen , that one went over my head !!! 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Who's Tom Lakenen , that one went over my head !!! 

A few posts back I talked about how Tom handled the local officials that were continually hassling him. He turned the tables on them and beat them bad.... now its illegal for any of them, including the Sheriff and DNR, to set foot on his land, but everyone else is welcomed for free! He's built a major tourist attraction out of that bad situation, filed a land patent and does not pay them any taxes anymore either! 🙂

He has a web site, not much to look at there, but check out the Trip Advisor reviews that  are linked on his site.

http://lakenenland.com/

Tom reminds me of you @Fishfiles, hes got a great sense of humor and is a skilled tradesman, looks like he's done it all. His views on politics/corruption and in particular social justice, are reflected in some of his "Junk Art" creations, very funny guy. Sensitive liberal types tend to get butt hurt when they see his art, which is funny and revealing by itself. 🙂  Everyone else loves his place.

I've been there 3 or 4 times, I stop every couple years when I'm travelling downstate to see all his new stuff. Really cool place....

• Like 3

Tom built a big stage and a roofed pavilion and a big outdoor fireplace recently from his donations profits so during the summer months he hosts free concerts on the weekends. Admission and camping is free for everyone of course. He's never asked for a nickel from anyone. And is thriving!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

never saw myself as Sanford,, and son junk collectors ... lol! 

Hey now, that's getting a little personal!  What's wrong with collecting "treasures"?

• Like 3

just joking around .... lol we even have our fair shair of  old worn out farm equipment hers a couple pics of some like we have , super a plow /  side dresser .. model a johndeer .... which is kept inside... worn out johndeere disk 110, couple of worn out pasture clippers... two new holland disc mower,  200 allis ....  so much we could start a small salvage yard ... lol! but my pop is like yours he will not turn loose of that equipment ... and for sure not the tractors !! i spent alot time using a gehl grinder just like this one. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

just a couple of days of frost, coming up, horses dun lost the winter hair. they wont like it below 26f at all. comes sat. night, i think. i dont have any hay, which

helps keep horses warm. 3rd or more times a frost has set in. Trees will look dead again, leaves will be gone. just a thing. those that are hardy, will survive,

an grow, including people. whether stupid does is another matter. i look at the children raised in this country, an dont see much hope. they aint got a clue with the school system that teaches. something to do with core.

sorry, i got off of the weather thread. i got gripes, to post elsewhere. //Ted

i got a few calls today's from friends and family (once they had time from cleaning, and repairing damage) sadly some have been without power for more then 4 days .... cars crushed by downed trees , roofs blown off, the word going around now is why the long delay on clearing trees laying on certain rural roads (county road crews are off) and why is it taking columbia power & water to get power restored ??so i made some calls... and learned there taking there time, due to each worker NOW has their own service truck.. so there doing repairs in stages due to the covid .... wth ?? i hazard a guess....as to how bad this would be had these storms hit in the dead of winter along with covid.... ten to one there's not a single chainsaw left to be had in columbia ...

8 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i got a few calls today's from friends and family (once they had time from cleaning, and repairing damage) sadly some have been without power for more then 4 days .... cars crushed by downed trees , roofs blown off, the word going around now is why the long delay on clearing trees laying on certain rural roads (county road crews are off) and why is it taking columbia power & water to get power restored ??so i made some calls... and learned there taking there time, due to each worker NOW has their own service truck.. so there doing repairs in stages due to the covid .... wth ?? i hazard a guess....as to how bad this would be had these storms hit in the dead of winter along with covid.... ten to one there's not a single chainsaw left to be had in columbia ...

You live in in the South Wilson!  We don't wait for "crews" to do stuff like that.  We do it ourselves!  I know you can't hook up power to people's homes, but I'd think you'd love to be clearing some roads!

• Like 2

oh yes..... been there many many times .....(short time after that i joined with rural fire) . the odd thing is no trees were downed across any roads close .... and of the places i did go.... people had stepped up... and did it them selves ... myself, and some friends helped clear roads many years back with a severe weather out (confirmed tornadoes) destroyed the small town of culleoka ... does make one feel good to help there neighbor recover ...heres one i got a few years back.... i missed out over these storms because i had too much cleaning up around my own place... helping Dennis fix fences and get his cattle back where they  belonged ... 

image.jpg

• Like 4

Forecast is for an inch of snow here tonight through tomorrow morning. One last winter gasp... then its lawn mowing time

we been in the 80s every day for weeks  , been dry and a bit windy , nice weather 

• Like 1

Our snow forecast was a no-show, we only got a dusting of snow overnight. So our summer begins in 6 days here when the upper level ridge in the NE pacific is forecast to begin to break down. Got 6 months to prepare for the next one. 🙂

• Like 2

Rain her last night and this morning.  Supposed to clear off but gonna be chilly this weekend, dipping down into the low 40's at night.

Got the yard mowed yesterday afternoon, knowing the rain was coming in last night.  As soon as I got through mowing (on my old John Deere 112L) a guy dropped off a Ferris zero-turn for me to try out😤 

Dad's looking at getting one, so the guy brought it by for us to test ride.  Wish he'd showed up about two hours earlier with it!

• Like 1