Melatv

Weather

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

Scott', Tried to copy and paste the thumbnail ^^^^ , wouldn't go thru for me 

WOW , that is colorful !!!! Glad I don't have to clean up that mess ..... 

• Like 1

I only have a couple of trees in my yard.  I dont clean the leaves up.  I just mulch them with the lawnmower.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scotticus said:

We only got  few light showers.  Still about 10 inches below normal rainfall for the year.  On the bright side the leaves are at peak colors.

fall.jpg

looked the front was going give y'all some more relief .. but on the plus side yall sure do have the fall colors going on. 

10 hours ago, Scotticus said:

I only have a couple of trees in my yard.  I dont clean the leaves up.  I just mulch them with the lawnmower.

I started getting up the leaves Sunday , them storms put a lot of leaves on the ground , did  1/2 the back yard and  filled 4 bin fulls which equals about 4 - 55 gallon drums , I do about 50 drums full for the year , been burning them , should start composting and make some dirt  -------- I have 19 trees in my yard and about 40 along the fence line ------ my buddy gave me a tractor style riding mower with a bagger , spent about $100 getting it running  , it does a great job picking up , but man is it slow compared to the zero swing , been thing about going for the bagger kit for my zero swing

it has been a bumper crop on acorns  from the live oak trees this year , but the white and water oaks are not producing acorns much at all this year , funny how that happens , runs in cycles 

leaves...lord the leaves!!..and that's just from the storm...Fall hasn't even started hard here yet.

only ones i care about are what falls into my pool..too many for the robot to suck up..so I give him a hand with the net.. i have a full net cover rig, but just too lazy to spread it yet and I prefer to see the pool and enjoy the view a while longer.

once Fall is done, I'll hit the front and side yard area around the house with the mower...circles to push all the leaves out and sort of coral them..the side yard is a solid acre..too many bags.

the storm sunday night flooded the creek..so that washed over the trails and really cleared the leaves...dropped a few branches that I had to clear yesterday and it's a little more than muddy..but that will dry...I'm sure it'll be a blanket of leaves back on the trails in another couple weeks when these trees drop em all.

already had to be a bit careful riding this past weekend...the 2 wheeler will slip and dump you on your butt if you aren't careful.

14 hours ago, Scotticus said:

Yep, its what I do as well. Have hundreds of trees. No time to rake/blow them. I just blow them off of our gutter 'helmets'. Mulching is more fun!

Mowed my roads in the river bottoms yesterday afternoon  late.  Super wet from all the rain we got from Delta over the weekend, but I got it done so won't have to mess with it again until spring.

Hoping the guys can ride Saturday.  I know @basfnb is planning on playing golf like the woman he is.  Not sure if the rest of them will be able to go or not. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Hoping the guys can ride Saturday.  I know @basfnb is planning on playing golf like the woman he is.  Not sure if the rest of them will be able to go or not. 

lol! you need to get him active in the forums. 

on a defrent note leaves have not changed yet, least not much, but a bumper crop of walnuts, and acorns... this season... plain murder on the deck, and mower blades..

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

lol! you need to get him active in the forums. 

on a defrent note leaves have not changed yet, least not much, but a bumper crop of walnuts, and acorns... this season... plain murder on the deck, and mower blades..

Well I say mowed, I meant bush-hogged.  The trees, ant mounds, and tire I ran over yesterday were probably worse on the deck and blade than the nuts LOL

Hit an old plastic cooler too that has washed up when the river was up.  It made a big mess.

• Like 1

dang, jeep ... you and me both i  have no idea whats going with the fire ants .... but they are plentifull this year! maybe this is a sign of how bad winter is going to be ? i was messing around this am... and took several stings from a nest of red wasp on the left hand .. of all places in the gas door of the nissan.. I'm just now seeing the swelling going down, it was ballooned up worse. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow , Wilson , that looks like it hurts , red warps are bad , been bit a few times by them , ground hornets tear me up bad , been a bad year for warps and ants 

This weekend for the LSU game , LSU  scored a touchdown , I have a bell hanging on the patio , so I decide to ring it , these little bitty black colored warps came out , about 10 of them  swarming all around , lucky no one got bit , every one scattered , I have never seen these guys before , I let them settle and hit them with Raid , then popped the nest out , nest looks just like a regular warp nest but a smaller version ---don't know what they were 

• Like 1

Since the subject of wasps has been brought up I thought I would share a trick...

Permethrin

Some of you may have seen it as Permethrin10, NIX or some other variety.

I would bet a few of you have it already and don't know how good it is for wasps.

This is the best thing I have ever tried for wasps hands down. No contest.

Mix hot water, dawn and permethrin. The ratios are not very important from my experience and a little of the concentrated stuff (35%?) does go a long way.

Lets say a gallon of water, cup of dawn and splash of concentrated permethrin. 

Shake well and put this mix into a standard sprayer. The soap and water alone will drop them out of the sky and kill on contact (unless raining) but with the permethrin added they all get got. 

If you spray this mix on the area where they go in-and-out... they will stop using that entrance. Under barn metal, eves, inside bricks, etc

THIS MIX IS NOT SAFE FOR CATS, BIRDS OR FISH! 

DO NOT USE THIS NEAR WATER! 

Dogs are fine with it and is an active ingredient in some topical flea and tick treatments. Don't use it on your dog anyway lol 

It would theoretically be OK if your dog smelled or rolled in an area that had been sprayed. 

Give it a shot sometime if you have wasp problems. I used to...

• Like 2

not so much the pain, but it sure didnt feel good when i was tagged ... lol.... more of a bother because i can't use it too well due to the swelling... I'm actually shocked it's not effected my typing .. which already bites.. lol ... last time .. i think recall you being stung on the nose, or neck ? man i can just imagine what you run into working on heavy equiptment ... do you think maybe those in the lamp were yellow jackets 

you want advise using poison now, but when i brought talstar p ... for fire ants... it was a bad idea ... lol wow what a change ... lol, a mixture of hot water and dawn soap will do the job as well, so will w-40 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Wilson, I don't know if they were  yellow jackets , they were small and all black , I just went out there to see if I could find one dead on the ground , seems they are all gone , some must have ate them 

I use the  Permethrin for mosquitos , flies , spiders , etc , mix 2 ounces per gallon of water , spray it all over the concrete patio and the grass along the edge , it works well , never did spray it on a wraps nest , or mix Dawn with it --- I  know Dawn melts the exoskeleton of the ants and makes a blob of bodies 

Them ground hornet got me on the juggler vein and on the head , 3 stings  , man that was bad , thought I was going to have to go to the hospital , ear was ringing , headaches , about 3 days of pain 

hm... all black... drawing a blank on those, i don't think I'd enjoy a run in with those ... yellow jackets are just a tad smaller then red wasp... but seem more agresive ... I've heard older farmer call some stinging insects around here billy bees.... never heard if there ground types, or hanging nest types... just that they're are very bad to deal with. 

your spot on with dawn and water ... the hotter temp of the  the mixture the better ...  someone posted this a while back, but I'm not sure who it was, it might be from the old forums ... I'm going to give this a try on the onslaught of fire ants and see what damage i can cause. 

• Like 1

Only thing I found out about the dawn and water on ants is you have to get some on all of them , if you just get 3/4 of the mound covered , then the 1/4 mound lives on , so wet it all ----  it don't take a lot of Dawn , don't have no ratio , would like to have a ratio  for future use 

thanks, fish,.... do you use hot, or cold water ?  i would imagine down there where y'all are they stay active all year long, or for the most part ? .... i just wander if a good hard freeze would help here, because there getting much worse, so many ems calls due to small kids getting into those mounds not knowing what dangers lurk. 

first couple of times I did the Dawn and hot water , I let it get as hot as it could out the sink and filled a five gallon bucket , then the last few times I used cold water and it seems to work just as good  ----yep ,  ants are just about year round ------------  I read where the mosquitos were so bad in the storm stuck Lake Charles area that cattle were dying from swarms mosquitos , wow , that must have been a lot of mosquitos 

oh i was thinking pump sprayer... but by your post you really have to soak them, and the ground good, sheesh.... i sure hate to hear that about the cattle, and ranchers loss... there are sprays to run them off... but has to be applied often....just  think about those new born calves... talk about having a hard start, here the buzzards go straight for the eyes... and getting permission from the TWRA to help control the population, is almost impossible.. leave it t o the tree huggers to f things up..... 

ive seen a number of these portable units... we rigged one years ago to combat flys.... just one spot where cattle could go to hit the salt, and mag blocks..... anyways... we keep going off topic ... lol... be sure to update on those cattle issues. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

wow! that's just bad .... i figured exhaustion would also be an issue, that alone will cause cattle to loose weight... could you imagine staying on the move 24/7 plus the stress of being bitten over and over again ? being i messed with cattle pretty much all my life this bothers me.... and that family who passed on fumes from a gen set..very sad .... i wander how many had to deal the onslaught of those same skeeters, thank you for the news links ... very very interesting ... sad but informative. 

• Like 1

Did you know more people have died from generators then the last two storm's winds or flooding ---- guy died this week from burning himself up fueling his generator and lighting his garage on fire ----

• Like 1