Jump to content
sled_22

Receiver Hitch/Ball

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for some cleaver addons that do not require welding to add a receiver hitch or ball to my Foreman.

Rather than threading a smaller shanked ball into the tow hole, does anyone have any other 2" ball hitch hook ups. I'd like for my fourwheeler to pull my 4'x7' trailer with light loads on primarily flat ground.

Thanks,

Sled

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have one of these on my 06.  Has a drop basket so I needed something that would stick out far enough to clear the basket.

 

That said, if I put a lot of weight on it, the leverage really pulls up on the rear end, so not something I would recommend if you plan on having much weight on the ball.

 

http://www.komodoatvacc.com/ATV-3-Way-Receiver-Hitch_p_2.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I have one of these on my 06.  Has a drop basket so I needed something that would stick out far enough to clear the basket.

 

That said, if I put a lot of weight on it, the leverage really pulls up on the rear end, so not something I would recommend if you plan on having much weight on the ball.

 

http://www.komodoatvacc.com/ATV-3-Way-Receiver-Hitch_p_2.html

 

are you talking about the swing pivoting ? I've had that happen a few times myself ... i started finishing a load of wood ... with about 50lbs of weight on the hitch... to be as close to getting the weight equal all four wheels (actually 3 being the stock 300 fwd is not locked in the front dif) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

not on mine, i just just use a hitch ball... if i need the hook and drag deal, just wrap a hook and chain around the ball and carry on... dîdnt you mod your hitch ? 

 

Edit: pardon me for going a tad off subject... lol! 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

With just a little bit of welding you can change it up and quick change and put what ever you want on there for different applications 

IMG_8221.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

No Welding ?   LOL 

I don't have a welder which is why i say that. I could always go to a friends shop and weld on it but i was basically looking for what Jeep showed.

I was kind of envisioning a bracket that tied into the differential bracket or something along those lines instead of a single bolt through the original hitch hole.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
7 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

Me too. Used it for years on my Rancher and put it on my Rubicon 5 years ago. Works well for me. I've dragged trees and power poles, ice fishing shelters and sleds and trailers. I think mine was Kolpin but it's exactly the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, sled_22 said:

I don't have a welder which is why i say that. I could always go to a friends shop and weld on it but i was basically looking for what Jeep showed.

I was kind of envisioning a bracket that tied into the differential bracket or something along those lines instead of a single bolt through the original hitch hole.

 

you could always double tap (drill a secound hole) the hitch ... two bolts holes with add on hit h jeep posted  ... something was said about the hitch turning side ways ... which can happen, but if you do choose a weld method ... id un hook the battery, and cdi on the bike before you do>>> just a good idea IMO. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 

I'd try more torq on the mounting bolt ... 1st, looks to have enough room (from inside the receiver) to drill another hole from the bottom just south of the main mounting bolt, I'd go with grade 8 bolts. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I torqued it down quite a bit but when I had a heavy load of wood on the trailer it would pivot when I backed up while turning.  I'd put a bolt through the bottom but my ball mounts would have to have a slot ground or cut in them to clear the bolt.  This probably wouldn't be a bad thing for the four wheeler but they're going to be for my truck also and I don't want to compromise any strength when I'm pulling a heavy load.  I think I can weld a bead on each side of the bottom of the receiver and it should keep it from pivoting.   If not I'll just weld it to the four wheeler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

ah... you didn't  mention they / it was going on your truck, kind of limits you on welding options. how much weight (hitch tongue weight) is hitch rated for ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

ah... you didn't  mention they / it was going on your truck, kind of limits you on welding options. how much weight (hitch tongue weight) is hitch rated for ? 

 

The receiver is for my four wheeler but the ball hitch mounts that I'll use with it will be used for my truck and four wheeler so I definitely don't want to compromise the strength of them when using them on the truck.  My truck is an F250 and I'm not really sure what it's rated for but I'm sure it's quite a bit.  What I mostly pull with it is a 5X10 trailer loaded down with wood and that's quite a bit of weight.  I've got a car hauler and occasionally haul a car but not too often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

oh, so just a small trailer, i thought maybe something larger .. what i was talking about double drilling the hitch,  not the pin resceiver, other then welding it, can't really see any other way to keep it from turning to left, or right when under strain, a counter sunk plow point bolt would be perfect for the second hole. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

That would work if I have enough room behind the bolt hole on the Honda hitch.  I'll have to check it out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Bolt it on square and just tack it on both sides, that way you can just hit it with a zip cut to remove it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 10/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, sled_22 said:

I'm looking for some cleaver addons that do not require welding to add a receiver hitch or ball to my Foreman.

Rather than threading a smaller shanked ball into the tow hole, does anyone have any other 2" ball hitch hook ups. I'd like for my fourwheeler to pull my 4'x7' trailer with light loads on primarily flat ground.

Thanks,

Sled

 

 

I have thought about replacing the factory tow piece with one of these.  They bolt in the same spot.  No welding.

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KFI-Rear-2-Receiver-Hitch-for-2005-2019-Honda-Foreman-TRX500-Solid-Axle-Only/254231763794

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, RubiDan said:

That would work if I have enough room behind the bolt hole on the Honda hitch.  I'll have to check it out.  

 

ive used those in a few places where a standard bolt head might be an intrusion on clearance, and welding couldn't done, the deal with those bolts is get a longer thread, and start the nut on first! because you might have to grip the lower exposed thread with pliers or vise grips etc to get the 4 teeth seated, and the flat head flush, and the diameter of the hole drilled , would need to be ONE, or, TWO sizes larger then the diameter of the drill bit. 

 

Edit: just a note I'm not one in favor of drilling, or welding on a oem honda draw bar... unless it's REALLY severes a purpose for a long time. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh, so just a small trailer, i thought maybe something larger .. what i was talking about double drilling the hitch,  not the pin resceiver, other then welding it, can't really see any other way to keep it from turning to left, or right when under strain, a counter sunk plow point bolt would be perfect for the second hole. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'd call it a flush head plow bolt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
Just now, sled_22 said:

 

This is essentially exactly what i was looking for. Thank you.

Post pics when you get it please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, jeepwm69 said:

Post pics when you get it please!

There was some posted in a review of it.

 

left close up.JPG

right close up.JPG

right hitch.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...