_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

you could try smaller stacks like those, i would but they would be there long, lol.  the weather adds to decaying of my wood pile, sence i don't stack it in that old smoke house, but there's plus and minus to mine, i stack the fresh cut wood in defrent small piles, right next to the aged, and the aged / seasoned goes in first. the fire breathing dragon consumes quiet abit, depending species, and how long it seasoned. 

Within being as cold as it is out, I have all 3 wood stoves going in the house.....

• Like 3

TBR -- Your right it's cold --- right now it's -13C feels like -21C

• Like 2

hey sled my blacksmith friend built something close to this setup, with backside pole support, and extended roofing, just a short walk from his house, also uses the rest for storing his lawn equiptment, he uses one firewood box for the chainsaws, gas, bar oil, splitting axes, tools, etc. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

looks you scored good, but you had mentioned how they stack it along with all the limbs, that's kinda what i have to deal with, with downed trees, the part i don't like is de limbing above my head, and dragging the smaller limbs out of the way but being that's part of the job, it is what it is, i usually saw all the limbs down to 3 inch in diameter, then fall back to using the fiskars power gear bypass loopers. those small limbs bring the furness temp up quick, and make a nice bed bed of coal, for the larger chunks. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

For the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day fires I had to haul some wood up to the house. 

Dad pulled one particularly clean chunk of oak that was so straight grained it basically looked like a 4x4 after I split it out and said "! you could build with this stuff"

He also laughed at the Whole Foods in Memphis, selling Birch (from overseas, no less) for about a buck a stick, for little sticks of wood.

'

I guess the city hippies like to feel outdoorsey so they put on their flannel and hiking boots to go to Whole Foods and buy some "fire wood"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes around here they sell little bundles of wood for campers, crap I would be set for awhile if I bundled my woodpile up and sold it....

• Like 3

So I have that wood furnace in my garage. And I bought and installed one of disk type thermostats. Hooked it up to the duct blower and it works like crap. 
i have it set to turn on at 140 and off at 100. It turns on what I would assume is 140 but then shuts off 30 seconds later. It continually short cycles even with a good fire making consistent heat. It can’t be good for the duct blower to be turning on and off like that. 
any ideas???? 

i have feeling I’ll have to get a controller and install a thermocouple along with a combustion blower. 
i put the thermostat switch in the hole on the side of the red panel. 

27959FF5-0FBC-46C9-8CCA-27E4D64FF5F8.jpeg

DD3B05F4-5DF8-4925-8A03-EAAF4204FB6C.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

where on the duct work is the thermo located ? 

Look at the hole in the side of the red panel on my first picture. Centered and towards the top. 

my thinking would its too close to heat source, check out page 26 of this thread, slammed, and jeep both had some good ideas, if you keep the furness close to a certain temp the blower wouldn't cycle off and on so much. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

With it just being out in the shop, I'd have it on a switch to turn and off.

• Like 1

My blower on my wood furnace is on all the time as long as I keep wood in it...lol  It has a themo switch to cycle on and off but I keep it on for constant heat....As TB said in your garage you can manually turn it on or off and easy to monitor..

• Like 1

Right. The biggest thing for me would be for it to shut off when the fire goes out. That way if I wanted it warm in the morning, I could fill it full at night and not worry about the blower running all night. 

My furnace requires the blower to run with wood in it or it can overheat the box, so mainly why it runs all the time...

sounds like you need a setup controled like mine ... when the temp drops so far (over night) the blower fan heats for a certain time limit then shuts off, and cycles every 30 minutes to  around 100 degrees (with with a bed of hot coals, n insulated furness there is no chance of freezing) then shuts off and the the heat pump kicks on

11 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

interesting wood burner build, just wonder what the shop looks like. 

image.jpg

I wonder if the blower is powered to force hot air out --- but that might  be smokey , unless there is a chamber where the smoke can't get into  it ??? 

• Like 1

it's got double stacks under the 671 blower, so could be route to blow heated air out of the exhaust ? if so thats a really slick design, the part that baffles me, is where is ash pan, and loading door ... 

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

interesting wood burner build, just wonder what the shop looks like. 

image.jpg

Has to be a gas stove......

Not a wood burner.....😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

you could be right, it was a google pic of diy wood burners, but that would explain the lack of an ash / loading door.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you could be right, it was a google pic of diy wood burners, but that would explain the lack of an ash / loading door.

That and its clearly a V8 gas guzzler......😂😂😂

Edited by TBRider
  • Haha 2