Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Figured I'd change the plug out, it did come with 10 extra, how's the color look to everyone.20210113_105630.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Looks great to me! Slight black on outter ring, looks tan on electrode, & porcelain white so all looks healthy to me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The exact amount of factory lean they come right out of the box. Not 100% safe or perfect. But they want it that way so they dont last forever.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

^^^ I agree with the experts above ^^^

Perfect factory tune.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

plus one ^^^^ also gives a history of the bike if the plug has been in a while ? , the fuel system, and engine are in great shape! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

I'm sure there are many here that would love to see a plug look like that.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I use Rotella T6 synthetic & KN-113 oil filters. In fact, every motor I own gets Rotella so thats all I have in stock. Do you have a longtime favorite?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

i like the way you do your threads details details, and pics, you killed it on the es shifting thread. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
12 minutes ago, retro said:

I use Rotella T6 synthetic & KN-113 oil filters. In fact, every motor I own gets Rotella so thats all I have in stock. Do you have a longtime favorite?

Just changed my oil today, use T4 Rotella.  Jeremy, make sure to use oil that is compatible with wet clutch operation....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

@retro this is actually the first fourwheeler I have ever owned, so I currently do not have a favorite. For my cars I would use mobile.

@_Wilson_™ thank you, I just write what I do. The ES was killing me and I don't know how many threads I have read on it.

@bcsman yes, I did read that I need wet clutch compatible oil 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have always used Honda GN4 in both of mine  as well as their filters. Don’t ask me why as I don’t use factory oil in my Nissan??!! But each to their own. U guys have peaked my interest in the Rotella though..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
3 minutes ago, Jemmons467 said:

I have always heard good things about Rotella 

You heard right ---

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I prefer amsoil myself. And i have ran every brand at one point or another. Amsoil is the only one you can ride the rev limiter with 100% confidence. All others made scary topend noise that sounded like you were about to have metal shrapnal pulled from places you wouldnt like lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Don't know why I would deviate from the Honda oil for the wet clutch.  I have to believe the OEM oil has the proper friction modifiers.  

This coming from an ex-Allison transmission sales/service puke where we believed that the proper fluid is important.  With these machines we are not just lubing bearings, rings, pistons, gears, etc, we are in addition controlling clutch engagement.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

well..... like tires people like what they like, i use GN4 myself, some use rotella which also is a great oil, we use it in every diesel, and gas engine we have .... i just favor GN4, I'm a diehard honda guy... maybe the OCD has something to do with why i choose to run GN4 lol! 

 

Shell rotella T4 (conventional) and T6 fj (synthetic) are JASO MA & MA2 rated, Amsoil, IMO is the best! ....  i think shade uses gtx castrol, i used this in the 1st two bikes i owned 250a , and 86 trx350.... never had a single oil related issue. my thinking is the frequency of oil changes / treatment of the machine plays a big part as using a good wet clutch approved oil. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, Dennis said:

Don't know why I would deviate from the Honda oil for the wet clutch.  I have to believe the OEM oil has the proper friction modifiers.  

This coming from an ex-Allison transmission sales/service puke where we believed that the proper fluid is important.  With these machines we are not just lubing bearings, rings, pistons, gears, etc, we are in addition controlling clutch engagement.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

 

 

You are correct! But correct with several caveats. You seem to have made an assumption that Honda motor oils meet wet clutch friction modifier specs better than any other motor oil, which is not true. The wet clutch specification in question is MA/MA2, and those wet clutch specs were not ever provided by Honda.... they are provided by the industry. Many motor oils meet or exceed the MA/MA2 wet clutch compatibility specifications.

 

It's not just the MA/MA2 spec that is important in a motor oil either. Oils must cool and lubricate, remain stable (and resistant to viscosity swings) throughout a wide temperature range, provide high pressure lubing and several other critically important properties. Each one of Honda's motor oil properties are spec'd by Honda, but the industry provides all of those specs that Honda chose from. Honda oils are blended and produced by an independent oil company at a low (-est) cost to Honda. There are many other motor oils being produced that exceed many, or all, of Honda's specifications & minimum requirements. There is always room for improvements in every product... and many other motor oil brands currently provide them.

 

So choosing a motor oil is a matter of personal choice.... since there are many very good products to choose from.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

well your detailed thread makes it's very simple to narrow issues down. so include yourself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, retro said:

 

You are correct! But correct with several caveats. You seem to have made an assumption that Honda motor oils meet wet clutch friction modifier specs better than any other motor oil, which is not true. The wet clutch specification in question is MA/MA2, and those wet clutch specs were not ever provided by Honda.... they are provided by the industry. Many motor oils meet or exceed the MA/MA2 wet clutch compatibility specifications.

 

It's not just the MA/MA2 spec that is important in a motor oil either. Oils must cool and lubricate, remain stable (and resistant to viscosity swings) throughout a wide temperature range, provide high pressure lubing and several other critically important properties. Each one of Honda's motor oil properties are spec'd by Honda, but the industry provides all of those specs that Honda chose from. Honda oils are blended and produced by an independent oil company at a low (-est) cost to Honda. There are many other motor oils being produced that exceed many, or all, of Honda's specifications & minimum requirements. There is always room for improvements in every product... and many other motor oil brands currently provide them.

 

So choosing a motor oil is a matter of personal choice.... since there are many very good products to choose from.

 

 

Thank you, good information.  I thank you.

To go to a Walmart, AmsOil , a cycle shop or auto store for my Foreman fluid, would require much more knowledge, time, or interest  than what I have.

So, grabbing the Honda oil is easier for me, and just hoping that I'm not doing anything detrimental to it. I don't think I am.   There certainly could be something better, even much better.  I don't put Briggs and Stratton oil in my equipment, but I try to stay with their branded filters.  

Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Since this has turned into an oil thread.... I use lucas wet clutch motorcycle/atv oil. You know why? Because its the only thing the local parts store carries and try not to give my money to wal-mart or oreilys.  But that's a different topic just as heated as oil threads. 😛 good day sir

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Add me to the list of Rotella users. I used the dino 15-40 for years in my old 350 Rancher that I was anything but easy on and it still ran great the day I sold it (looking back, I wish I still had that tough son of a gun). I now use the T6 15-40 in my Rubicon without issue. Oil preference can be hotly debated but really there's nothing wrong with using [insert brand here] as long as it meets the proper specs and is changed at proper intervals.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 1/27/2021 at 1:22 PM, sled_22 said:

Since this has turned into an oil thread.... I use lucas wet clutch motorcycle/atv oil. You know why? Because its the only thing the local parts store carries and try not to give my money to wal-mart or oreilys.  But that's a different topic just as heated as oil threads. 😛 good day sir

What's wrong with O'Rileys? Other than being a little bit expensive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, texas123 said:

What's wrong with O'Rileys? Other than being a little bit expensive.

 

Nothing is wrong with o-rileys, I go there when I have to but prefer to pay the same price to locally owned parts stores.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...