Jump to content
hankrutherfordhill

What is in your trail tool kit?

Recommended Posts

Other than the stock kit from the mfr, what do you never hit the trail without? I'm coming over from dual Sport motos and all I really carried was a small adjustable wrench, multitool, couple of electrical butt connectors, zip ties and a pair of tire spoons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Welcome to the forum !!!    the three ties :     tie rod ends , tie wire  and tie straps ---- 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

In addition to the mfg tool kit I carry a adjustable wrench, multi-tool, zip ties, extra new gapped spark plug, tire pump, tire plugs, and tape.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

All of the above plus a Leatherman multi-tool knife, a roll of toilet paper stuffed inside a ziplock bag, gloves, a clean rag, bandages and tape and a long & strong tow rope to yank burning polaris' junkers out of my way. 🙂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Bungy cords, some small rope, machette' on the rack, likely some tie straps/wraps...Beers in the back pack, 1/8 speaker cord for an MP3 & a hatchet. Batt/ light. Did i miss anything? 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I ride a Honda.  It's the other makes my tool kit is designed for.  Various straps, ropes and shackles usually drags 'em home when they break down.😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

What about a First Aid kit along with all the other stuff mentioned, plus a good light🙂

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

Cooler full of beer in case we cross paths and want to sit next to the path and chat (we will want to do this).

 

you shouldn't need any tools with such a new bike...ahem don't forget the go pro, for the videos! 

 

6 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I ride a Honda.  It's the other makes my tool kit is designed for.  Various straps, ropes and shackles usually drags 'em home when they break down.😉

 

uh hu i couldn't agree more.... lol! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

most of the above stays stocked on my bikes, not alcohol <<< that can sometimes produce a need for all those other items ;) 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

most of the above stays stocked on my bikes, not alcohol <<< that can sometimes produce a need for all those other items 😉

 

The key is to drink enough to be able to honestly blame those needs on other things or people.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
18 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

Cooler full of beer in case we cross paths and want to sit next to the path and chat (we will want to do this).

 

We tend to ride 1/4 mile, then sit and BS and drink beer for 30-45 mins. 

 

Gone all day, probably don't actually ride 4-5 miles LOL

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

yup..... bout like it was here when we had our bunch... some would just have to get stuck.... some would sit back and laugh, and then there were those of us who went and helped, and had a great time getting out hands dirty, and covered in mud.... lol!.. those were great times! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
44 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

 

We tend to ride 1/4 mile, then sit and BS and drink beer for 30-45 mins. 

 

Gone all day, probably don't actually ride 4-5 miles LOL

We might get 10miles in! 😄

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
17 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I ride a Honda.  It's the other makes my tool kit is designed for.  Various straps, ropes and shackles usually drags 'em home when they break down.😉

Funny story , my buddy Vic's 300 had a badly  rusted frame and he repaired it with some  fence pipe and it looked like  , I use to tease him that we had to be sure to have at least two tow ropes/straps when he was along cause one day that bike was going to break in half and we were going to have to pull two pieces back ----

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

All the above. I also carry a sand anchor you would use in a small boat. Where we get stuck in the loon s#+t there usually isn't a decent tree to hook a winch to. I plant the anchor in a beaver dam or in the scrub and winch out. Very light. If you're interested I can post a picture when I get back home.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, PROV said:

you would use in a small boat.

 

sigh.... when are people going to learn honda atvs are not boats ..... lol! 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
10 hours ago, PROV said:

All the above. I also carry a sand anchor you would use in a small boat. Where we get stuck in the loon s#+t there usually isn't a decent tree to hook a winch to. I plant the anchor in a beaver dam or in the scrub and winch out. Very light. If you're interested I can post a picture when I get back home.

 

That's a good idea!  I'm not normally in an area where that kind of surface is around (enough) but I can see the application of it.  I'll have to keep it in mind.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, PROV said:

All the above. I also carry a sand anchor you would use in a small boat. Where we get stuck in the loon s#+t there usually isn't a decent tree to hook a winch to. I plant the anchor in a beaver dam or in the scrub and winch out. Very light. If you're interested I can post a picture when I get back home.

 

I could use pics.

 

I keep telling myself "Don't go in the gumbo unless there's a tree close by" but I'm stupid and forget that I told myself that, so I get stuck in the middle of nothing and have to call someone to pull me out.

 

TWICE this has happened in the last week.  And that's with no rain for almost two months....... Raw talent to get stuck in the middle of a drought.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

 

I could use pics.

 

I keep telling myself "Don't go in the gumbo unless there's a tree close by" but I'm stupid and forget that I told myself that, so I get stuck in the middle of nothing and have to call someone to pull me out.

 

TWICE this has happened in the last week.  And that's with no rain for almost two months....... Raw talent to get stuck in the middle of a drought.

Should be able to post a picture Monday or so when I get back home. Anchor is very inexpensive too...under $20 I think. Have had to use it several times. When you are alone 20 miles in the bush from the hunting shack it's great to have. We don't have cell service in that area so you better be wearing good boots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 9/13/2021 at 4:14 PM, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to the forum !!!    the three ties :     tie rod ends , tie wire  and tie straps ---- 

yep... Lawd yes.. zip ties !!

 

learned that one early on when a tree branch that I thought I could clear, and or smash under the paws of my mighty honda beast..would up catching the underbody splash guard and ripping it from the bolt bracing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, PROV said:

Should be able to post a picture Monday or so when I get back home. Anchor is very inexpensive too...under $20 I think. Have had to use it several times. When you are alone 20 miles in the bush from the hunting shack it's great to have. We don't have cell service in that area so you better be wearing good boots.

 

I almost purchased a “Pull pal” for my jeep a few times.  Just so dang pricey. Instead I put an e-tool in the back, and if it comes to it I will bury my spare and use it as a winch point.

 

When I got stuck a couple of days ago I was sinking in mud up halfway to my knee walking back out, where the four wheeler had just kind of floated over the top of it

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Here's a method I've used to set telephone poles in the middle of no where.  To get an anchor point to pull from we'd dig in a digging bar, cross arm or even a 2x4 at a 45* angle from the pull.  Tie the winch line to that right where it meets the ground.  At the top of that bar, tie another line and tie it to the base of a second bar a 5-6' away in a line with the pull.  Sometimes a third bar is needed for a real hard pull.  Hope that makes sense.   For an ATV a sapling macheted off and shoved deep in the ground x3 with rope might just get you out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

Here's a method I've used to set telephone poles in the middle of no where.  To get an anchor point to pull from we'd dig in a digging bar, cross arm or even a 2x4 at a 45* angle from the pull.  Tie the winch line to that right where it meets the ground.  At the top of that bar, tie another line and tie it to the base of a second bar a 5-6' away in a line with the pull.  Sometimes a third bar is needed for a real hard pull.  Hope that makes sense.   For an ATV a sapling macheted off and shoved deep in the ground x3 with rope might just get you out.

I’m gonna need some MS paint for that

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...