Fishfiles

TRX300FW - 1995

and yes, i always buy 10 gallons when i go buy it, it last me a good year before i change it out. KEEP THE STEEL DRUMS !!, i use mine to pour used engine oil in, then take it to recycle centers.

• Like 1

I was wide awake last night , so I went outside and started wire brushing the case by hand , the case isn't powder coated and the paint comes off pretty  easy  and it is really good condition under the paint , Dick's Cycles must have buffed it before he painted it , he was suppose to powder coat the cases black , glad he didn't , then I found a repair to the case , this I-11 camera is amazing , you can see the finger prints in the JBWeld , didn't appear to be leaking , must have broke thru that they repaired it , guess I am going to find out when I see the inside , that isn't a crack , it is a long scratch , must have been metal that hit it , don't think a stick wouldn't do that ---also found one of the case bolts on the bottom side missing , bet that one is tripped out and the case gasket is squeezed out on the bottom side and looks like it was leaking a bit ----

d65%WxlPQcqEsH8W3W7wKg.jpg

• Like 1

It started drying my hands out a little after constantly using it for three or four days. I dumped a quart of ATF in and it seem to help with drying out my skin. I have already had to filter my fluid whites. Rubberbanded a couple of coffee filters around the end of a hose coming off the petcock on the drain, let it run into a couple of 5 gallon buckets.  Once it emptied, I cleaned out the inside of the tub, closed the petcock, and dumped the fluid back in

• Like 1

Good tips Jeep ...

I done my first mod to the cleaner  this morning, the plate in the tank was so thin , it was flexing bad when you pushed on it , I had the basket under it giving it a little support , but , didn't like it , had a piece of metal lying around just the right size to cut another plate out of ,  didn't measure the thickness of the two , this plate is 4 times as thick and doesn't flex at all , not even going to drill any holes in it like the original plate has 

Jeep ,  got a pic of your filter set up ?

I dug around for a filter head , I have a hydraulic filter head with 1/2 ports , thats over kill , and found a Racor style fuel filter head with 1/4 inch ports , might give that one a go -------

Cleaned and flushed out the transfer case without disassembling it and it is spotless inside , and did a pre-clean to the carb before taking it apart , it is so clean on the outside , I doubt I have to open it up , LOL 

What I am really liking is washing the tools off quick and easy   

fullsizeoutput_c18.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c1a.jpeg

• Like 2

Jeep  I called my filter guy and told him what I want to do , he says most of his customers buy a yawn type filter element for their parts washers-------I  like that dual port to the right filter head you pic'ed , that would make a clean installation --------  he is going to look for the yawn filter cartridge , dual right port , 90 degree mounting plate with a sediment drain on the filter canister ---and I can get some 3/8 hose barb bulk head fittings to go thru the side of the tub 

Hey what do you do with your used solvent? Do you use a distillation unit to pull off the pure solvent and leave the spent oil/grease and crud?

Goober , No distillation unit , burn and replace , LOL -------  if you let it sit in a bucket for a while , the trash will fall to the bottom and you can pour the top off , LOL 

• Like 1

I talked with the filter guy and he wanted about $100 for a filter head , canister and filter , so I am going to go with this marine fuel filter set up I have already got , ordered a couple of 90 degree bulk head fittings to go thru the side of the tank , going to do away with that flexible wand and go with a hose , I don't much like the wand very stiff , the filter head has a inlet and a outlet on both sides , so just plug the two I don't use  ----- my buddy got a new light in his shop and gave me the light hanging in the pic , really helps light up the part washer , hung it up yesterday with some chain 

XC3FNBxsRnmiQIh%KNDdCg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_c1c.jpeg

x2niOz68RVi2AMtpV1bgug.jpg

• Like 4

Finally split the case , it really wasn't that dirt inside , cleaned the right side case gaskets and drilled and exz-out'ed a broken bolt on the bottom side the case , where the gasket was pinched out and leaking , ran a tap and compressed air in every bolt hole , that cover is clean , there was a big glob of Honda Bond right next to the crankshaft bearing, my boy Charlie really had a lot of Honda Bond inside the cases , remember the pic of the screen up above ----   

Poll : DO you use Honda Bond on the crank case gasket ( Yes or No  ) 

Shindy carb kit came in today , says Made in Japan on it ,  with shipping included it was $20.06 --- I think that is a good deal 

fkdfoX3ERWOU9i4TZhWpTA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_c1f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c20.jpeg

XwwHEz5uSBKvDfyFW9rvvg.jpg

sVda8T1URFyM2S4+i76qwg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_c1e.jpeg

• Like 4

If anyone is interested , I found a good price on the BOSS 1000w pod blue tooth sound system , they play really well , I have two already , picked this one up for this red 300 project to replace the sewer pipe sound system on there now , $99 and free shipping is about $40-50 cheaper than what they are going for now days , he has 5 left 

fullsizeoutput_c22.jpeg

IMG_5904.JPG

• Like 1

Looks good Fish.

If I'm using a new gasket, I don't use Hondabond unless there is a nick in the sealing surface somewhere. 

If I'm reusing a gasket, I run a tiny bead of Hondabond on it.  It all depends on what the gasket looks like.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Finally split the case , it really wasn't that dirt inside , cleaned the right side case gaskets and drilled and exz-out'ed a broken bolt on the bottom side the case , where the gasket was pinched out and leaking , ran a tap and compressed air in every bolt hole , that cover is clean , there was a big glob of Honda Bond right next to the crankshaft bearing, my boy Charlie really had a lot of Honda Bond inside the cases , remember the pic of the screen up above ----   

Poll : DO you use Honda Bond on the crank case gasket ( Yes or No  ) 

Shindy carb kit came in today , says Made in Japan on it ,  with shipping included it was $20.06 --- I think that is a good deal 

fkdfoX3ERWOU9i4TZhWpTA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_c1f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c20.jpeg

XwwHEz5uSBKvDfyFW9rvvg.jpg

sVda8T1URFyM2S4+i76qwg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_c1e.jpeg

no, i do not use yamabond on a new case gasket, no need for it, unless the cases are nicked from some dummy splitting them before i got my hands on them ?, i only use new gaskets where it had a gasket.

• Like 3

Glad to hear no Honda Bond ---

Didn't get any work on the engine yesterday , went to work 

I was reading the manual lat night while soaking in the hot tub till my hands were sweating and I had to put it down , but there are somethings in the manual make no sense to me , one is they show you a steel baffle with a bolt holding it in place . it covers the chamber right below the vent tube , there is no cover there and I don't remember seeing a bolt hole --------- second thing I noticed is the book says worn teeth on the crankshaft cam chain sprocket is repairable by a Honda Dealer , looked at the crankshaft and see they have two different part numbers 88-95 and 96-2000 , both show the same pic with no serviceable sprocket ,  wondering why the part number changed on the crank  ---  there are a few other things the book says that isn't so , maybe some things  just ain't so no more 

I haven’t used any hondabond on my gaskets instead i hang the gasket on the guide pins.

on your solvent filter system i like a coarse screen, followed by a cartridge filter. If the filtering media is too fine it will clog up pretty quick. Mainly i try to keep metal shavings out of the lines and pump.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Glad to hear no Honda Bond ---

Didn't get any work on the engine yesterday , went to work 

I was reading the manual lat night while soaking in the hot tub till my hands were sweating and I had to put it down , but there are somethings in the manual make no sense to me , one is they show you a steel baffle with a bolt holding it in place . it covers the chamber right below the vent tube , there is no cover there and I don't remember seeing a bolt hole --------- second thing I noticed is the book says worn teeth on the crankshaft cam chain sprocket is repairable by a Honda Dealer , looked at the crankshaft and see they have two different part numbers 88-95 and 96-2000 , both show the same pic with no serviceable sprocket ,  wondering why the part number changed on the crank  ---  there are a few other things the book says that isn't so , maybe some things  just ain't so no more 

no gears on trx300's are serviceable( or any honda crank that i know of ? ) , cept the big gear next to the crank bearing. the cam chain gear, and the oil pump gear are made unto the crank, they can not be replaced. nothing next to the crank case breather tube that i've ever seen ?. tube is pressed into the case.

Here is a pic of the baffle and reference to it in the text to the right of the pic , this info is out a Clymer manual TRX300 Fourtrax 88-2000

fullsizeoutput_c31.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Here is a pic of the baffle and reference to it in the text to the right of the pic , this info is out a Clymer manual TRX300 Fourtrax 88-2000

fullsizeoutput_c31.jpeg

its a clymer manual..what ya expect ?..lol. there is no baffle in the trx300 motors, i've split a ton of these motors, and that baffle is NOT in there !..lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i still have those case parts out in my shop, do i need to go grab a pic..so you can see that there is no baffle in them ?.

• Like 1

I believe you , like I said there isn't even a threaded hole for that alleged baffle ----- moral is you can't always believe the book , expecially when it is a crappy book 

• Like 1

Got the filter on and hooked up ----  can't wait to see how long it takes to clog up ----if things go bad , I am  going to make a call to my filter guy and see what other higher micro option filter will fit this filter head  ----I like the flexible hose better than the steel wand ---  thinking about one of them brushes with the hose barb on the end so fluid goes right to the brissels 

NgUobNkKQAKtrgCfp2s0Hw.jpg

• Like 1

I got the crankcase back together -------  my cooler cover is finished and buddy is going to drop it off Saturday when we go riding

Found this 300 info and not sure where it should have gone , so stick it here to save it 

TRX300 2WD
Passion Red/ 1988-1997
Patriot Red/ 1998-2000
Southern Blue/ 1993-1994
Adventure Green/ 1994-2000
Harvest Beige/ 1995-2000

TRX300 4WD
Passion Red/ 1988 and then 1991-1997
Patriot Red/ 1998-2000
Cosmic Gray/ 1988 only
Southern Blue/ 1990-1994 (Only option for 1990)
Adventure Green/ 1992-2000
Harvest Beige/ 1995-2000

• Like 1

I've been thinking about that filter setup...( NICE ) have you thought about using strong magnets  in the tank or .... close to the drain that goes directly to the filter ... might help in filtering, and the longevity of the filter element ... 

• Like 1

A magnet  is a good idea , can't hurt ------ I have one of these flow thru brushes ordered for it , think that is going to make it better image.png

• Like 2