Melatv

Weather

shesshh...yall's a bunch of wussies when it comes to heat ?!!..lol. i'll take 100 temps, and high humidity any day, does not faze me !. now..when it gets cold ?, then i'm done !..lol.

• Like 1

I can't stand the heat, that's why I will stay north of the 49th till the day I die.....lol

It's not just about hot and cold , it is about how many days out the year can you do things outside  , LOL 

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

shesshh...yall's a bunch of wussies when it comes to heat ?!!..lol. i'll take 100 temps, and high humidity any day, does not faze me !. now..when it gets cold ?, then i'm done !..lol.

I got baked on the beach for a week.  A/C is struggling to keep up at the house. 

I gotta get back to my early morning work routine (before I go to my real job).  Had my alarm set for 5:30 this morning.  Turned it off and went back to sleep though. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I got baked on the beach for a week.  A/C is struggling to keep up at the house. 

I gotta get back to my early morning work routine (before I go to my real job).  Had my alarm set for 5:30 this morning.  Turned it off and went back to sleep though. LOL

i turned into a lobster up on heber springs on my jet ski this past sat, temp was suppose to get to 96-97 ?, never got that hot, but it was hot enough from uv rays to cook my butt !..lol. i got my thermostat set to 78 in the house, stays cool i guess ?, would not bother me if it went out..but my sisters would freak the heck out if the air died !..lol.

• Haha 2

hey jeep... did that hot temp remind you of those days in the grain Ben ? lol.... when you in one those, then your talking heat.... dry dusty nasty heat... i can only think of one thing worse .... leveling (hand leveling) a upright silo just filled with corn silage ... that's already started to fermint ..., if the heat doesn't get you, the gas can...  manys a day i used a rope to climb.... to the top on inside, and went down the clamp rings .. 

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

hey jeep... did that hot temp remind you of those days in the grain Ben ? lol.... when you in one those, then your talking heat.... dry dusty nasty heat... i can only think of one thing worse .... leveling (hand leveling) a upright silo just filled with corn silage ... that's already started to fermint ..., if the heat doesn't get you, the gas can...  manys a day i used a rope to climb.... to the top on inside, and went down the clamp rings .. 

I'll see your corn silage, and raise you cleaning out Milo tanks.  That crap used to make me want to tear my skin off.

Back in those days I was younger, leaner, and had cold beer on the brain at the end of the day.   Now I'm old, fat, and just want to lay on the couch.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i hear you on milo.... that stuff is extra rough!! lol .... i recall one year when we had to roll harvested  soybeans husk / stems  for feed, or rather filler... one of the driest hottest years i can recall.... i was on a open station (no cab or a/c) 4030 johndeere ..... I'll never forget the dust from from the pickup ..... just covered me .... even if the slightest breeze kicked up, it wasn't of any relief .... between the heat of the engine fan .., and dust...  even drinking hot water was a relief ... lol! 

• Like 1

3 summers during highschool I hung tobacco. One of the funnest jobs I ever had. Bulk barns were all we hung at none of the old style with people tying it off and hanging.  Saturday mornings were usually the days we unloaded the barns, threw the ring on the burlap bags, packed the tobacco, and put it in the pack house.

My boss was a jokester.  He had a stuffed rattlesnake he would put in his truck bed and get people when it was lunch or break time.  I got him back with a load if fox ! on a napkin stuffed down his vent in the work truck! 

Most of those barns are gone now and houses are in place of a lot of the fields.  Those 3 tier barns we had to put 2x4s down with plywood were real sketchy and you better take a hammer and knock the nails down on the rails or the racks would hang up and hit the ground. Dang I miss those days of working!!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Chevymec said:

3 summers during highschool I hung tobacco. One of the funnest jobs I ever had. Bulk barns were all we hung at none of the old style with people tying it off and hanging.  Saturday mornings were usually the days we unloaded the barns, threw the ring on the burlap bags, packed the tobacco, and put it in the pack house.

My boss was a jokester.  He had a stuffed rattlesnake he would put in his truck bed and get people when it was lunch or break time.  I got him back with a load if fox ! on a napkin stuffed down his vent in the work truck! 

Most of those barns are gone now and houses are in place of a lot of the fields.  Those 3 tier barns we had to put 2x4s down with plywood were real sketchy and you better take a hammer and knock the nails down on the rails or the racks would hang up and hit the ground. Dang I miss those days of working!!

I have watched them hang tobacco , interesting , American Spirts  , no chemicals , B.S. , Gramacy , La. , Chinese rolled , $8.00 + a pack  

hey chevy .... I've been there many times... haha .... we cut, and speared ours ... and let it wilt in the heat (less leaf loss) then ether load it on flat wagons ... or pipe wagons ... oh, and the best job was hanging tear rails... lol! which mostly were not nailed down, ... and the best place was right on the top rail.... that man ... had to deal with the heat (well ober 110) from the tin roof, but the plus side was you didn't handle as many 50-70+ lbs sticks .. lol..... back then you could make some serious money!! 

if they didnt use chemicals ... the suckers would take away from the big leafs, and that's where you made your money ... prime plus was the main sucker control back in the day... then you also had to deal with tobacco worms .... i forget the name but there the exact same worm green black with yellow.. you see on tomato plants .. then there was also aphids .... then the worst was methyl bromide gas for slip beds... now as hydroponics (float slips) they used even worse chemicals .... 

The reason I said BS to American spirits is not for the no chemical thing.  More to the American thing.  I was told how it works around here by a guy that grows it. They grow the tobacco here in La. and in Carolina. After dried   They use a press to stuff barrels full of tobacco.  The barrels from both places are sent to Baton Rouge where it is chopped and blended together.  Then they packaged the tobacco and send it to China to be rolled and packaged.  Who knows what China adds or does to it.  

• Like 1

we never did it that way.... here the leaves are ether 7, 5 ,or 3 grades the standard was 5 grades tips, leafs, cutters, luggs, primings / trash..... to add weight yes, you press the tobacco... but... the trick is catching the tobacco when it's in case ... to keep the leaves from breaking up... then  pressing each grade separately in a square bale press... the weight you aimed for was from 100-175 lbs they looked exactly like this... and worth alot of money.... back then .... it wasn't unheard of for a farmers complete bailed up crop to be stolen   right off his farm... we always stored ours in a locked in closed trailer ... at ether Raymond place, or my pops place... when i was 14 .... i made 6 thousand ... off of three acres ... myself, pop, and my grandfather did all the work.... they each made good money from the tobacco they raised .. i bumped up to five acres the year, after that .... then we expanded in cattle hogs, land, and row crops... and USDA stepped in.... and tobacco kind fell to the side .. after they taxed it into nothing...and  priced our quota though the roof... last recall lbs on a farm went from 5 cents ... to 25 cents .... at that price you couldn't purchase enough lbs to pay labor , and make a good profit. 

anyways ... didnt intend to take the weather thread off the trail. 

image.jpg

and just what the heck does all this tobacco have to do with the weather ???, ya'll getting off topic !..lol.

• Haha 1

I am no farmer but would think weather and tobacco go together like peas and carrots ----   You need the proper weather for a good harvest !!!! 

At 5 - 25 cents per pound , forget tobacco ...  Now days weed is the cash crop ,  couple to a few grand a pound ----  LOL 

• Sad 1

We got us a Tropical Depression , they call it number 8 at the moment ----  looks like Texas will get the bulk of it ------- starting to rain here this morning  ---- we got 5 days in a row of at least 60% rain and up to 80% ---- might have to add a foot or two to the snorkel on the atv 

34 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

We got us a Tropical Depression , they call it number 8 at the moment ----  looks like Texas will get the bulk of it ------- starting to rain here this morning  ---- we got 5 days in a row of at least 60% rain and up to 80% ---- might have to add a foot or two to the snorkel on the atv 

or i don't know ?...use a boat instead !..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

was supposed to rain all last week, it didnt pan out. now its supposed to rain for the next 7 days. was an orange half-moon turned up, last night on the horizon. moon sign.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:45 AM, Fishfiles said:

It's not just about hot and cold , it is about how many days out the year can you do things outside  , LOL 

When I was in the Arctic, it was explained to me, "if you are cold, you didn't dress properly" plain, simple, made sense- but I have no idea of how to dress for the heat and sun?

• Like 1

lol! that reminds of an old saying ... you can always add more layers on for cold weather, but there's only so much you can take off for hot weather. here lately ... it's been flip flops, shorts a sleeveless t-shirt, and a welding helmet liner ...  another option is Florida water.

ammonia spirits mixed with ice water, which cools you immediately in the extreme heat when you use a wet towel on your face

this stuff^^^^ works great! 

this is what i use in the mix.

image.jpg

We had 5 straight days of rain , bet the trails will be nice this weekend , might have to wear a life preserver 

Florida water mixed with water and ice is good stuff  in the summer time 

just to be sure.... what i was talking about is NOT the Florida water drink! lol! 

we are expecting rain all day with, YET more flooding, and later on severe thunderstorms, just one good note it's begain to cool a bit.here lately ... I'm thinking @Derf40 has the right spot picked out.... I've heard the dryer climate out west is healthier...l but I've never had the chance to go THAT far west... 

On 7/21/2020 at 11:43 AM, shadetree said:

i turned into a lobster up on heber springs on my jet ski this past sat, temp was suppose to get to 96-97 ?, never got that hot, but it was hot enough from uv rays to cook my butt !..lol. i got my thermostat set to 78 in the house, stays cool i guess ?, would not bother me if it went out..but my sisters would freak the heck out if the air died !..lol.

i bought my nieces their own window units, so the central air could at least be 75F. i like it 76 during the winter an 78 during the summer. 😀

when i lived in the 5th wheel, i kept it at 64f during the winter. no infiltration. makes a difference.

"drier than normal, summers bout gone."

Edited by LedFTed
more

So that hurricane that no one is sure how to pronounce, came and went. But today, we had more rain and man it came in quick. I am 100% sure that a tornado was over or very close to our shop today. The way the rain was coming in sideways to the shop was crazy! Couldn't get one door down because the rain was messing up the door sensor so it kept trying to go back up when you let off the close button. 

• Like 1