Nanook

Legal To Drive ATVs On Roads in Your State?

Alaska just passed a law stating, “it is legal to drive an ATV on roads, where the speed is limited to 45mph or lower”...Takes effect Jan 1st 2022.

Must have lights and be licensed and insured. I’m wondering what you folks pay for insurance? I’ve never licensed or insured an ATV... I may have to start now.

I don't have insurance but I should since it's fairly cheap in Ohio with Progressive.   $75.00/yr for full coverage less medical for a declared value of $2K IIRC.  But then I don't ride on the roads with mine.  

I've seen other states loosen the regs but they might add DOT approved tires to the requirements too.  That one I believe is mostly ignored by riders.

Legalizing it by county on county roads only and some city streets here in Minnesota. Mostly northern counties. Southern is mostly agricultural land. Lots of public land in the north. No requirements on lights or tires but some minor requirements on where you can ride.

Well come Springtime, I’ll have to call the insurance company and check out the rates. Too cold in winter up North to ride ATVs...

Some towns in the east coast of Canada have them. One little place even has an ATV painted on the roadside where the bicycle lane is. Ive seen it lol 

Would be the same with the ins/reg.

Here in Alberta, Canada we have towns that allow them. But u have to have registration, insurance, helmets, & I think be 16 years old. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nanook said:

Well come Springtime, I’ll have to call the insurance company and check out the rates. Too cold in winter up North to ride ATVs...

C'mon Nanook, we ride all winter if the snow isn't too deep and it's -10F or warmer. A windshield and heated grips help a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As far as I know you still can't ride atvs on the streets around here , unless you got farm plates and your on rural roads that are less than 35mph  and working ----a while back they made it where you can get street registration for golf carts , but I was told that one of the requirements is hydraulic brakes from the factory 

nope...not legal here.  course it does't stop some of the neighbors from scootin around..couple of ATVs, one Razor, and a couple of 2 wheel dirt bikes run up and down the road regularly..so do golf carts and only mine and one other I know actually have the permits and insurance required, not to mention the street legal light upgrades.

We are all country and neighbors, so we don't think twice about it.

• Like 2

They are allowed in some of the towns in the northern part of our state, folks up there rely heavily on OHRV rider $$'s.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:38 PM, PROV said:

C'mon Nanook, we ride all winter if the snow isn't too deep and it's -10F or warmer. A windshield and heated grips help a lot.

we switch over to snowmobiles, except for the Foreman with the plow...

• Like 1

There are places here in New Brunswick Canada where ATV's use streets along with cars -- even parking place for ATV at some stores. Green line shows ATV routes to places to eat & shop. We also Highway usage permits on some roads to get to ATV trails.

ATV_parking.jpg

ATV_ST.jpg

• Like 4

In South Dakota we can legalize them to use on any roadway but the interstate (which I wouldn't want to do anyway). I have my SXS road legal for the few times I take it to town and might want to stop at the bar before coming home. The police around here really don't care much unless some young kids are raising heck an then they check people. When I first started the TRX was around $8 for a plate and the SXS was around $12. Now the SXS is about $85 to get the license plate. Mines insured under my farm policy so I'm not sure what that adds up to, just liability like the tractors and such.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Melatv said:

There are places here in New Brunswick Canada where ATV's use streets along with cars -- even parking place for ATV at some stores. Green line shows ATV routes to places to eat & shop. We also Highway usage permits on some roads to get to ATV trails.

ATV_parking.jpg

ATV_ST.jpg

That's awesome

Just saw a picture of a SxS with plates rolling down the bypass here yesterday. They said he was driving stupid.