Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

last i looked the price sure has shot up, but i still might get back into it. last one i looked at was $30 1/24 scale drop deck with a cat gen set. 

8 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I take a 40% off coupon with me.  I used to print them out until I saw a customer flash their phone.  Now I just download one and save it on the phone.

I know from going to Hobby Lobby  , the lady told me how it works , this week one department is 50% off , next week another department is 50% off , then they do a 75% off sale like once a month ---- so if you see something you like and it is not on sale , come back next week 

I know about them phone scan coupons , I learned that from a lady one day in line behind me at  Joanne Linens, where I go  to buy vinyl to cover my atv , golf cart , etc seats , it cost $19.99 a yard , by the time I walk out , I get it for about $8 a yard using a 60% off coupon on their website using my phone , if you don't know about it you don't get it 

The problem I've been having with the older kits that have been stored for 20-25 years is the decals.  Some seem just fine while others either fall apart or the adhesive loses it's ability to hold the decal on.  Silvering, is what the latter problem is called.

Here's an example of silvering on decals made in 1993.

I learned to test one small decal to see if it falls apart and if it does I spray the rest with a clear coat of gloss acrylic.  That extends the soaking time but allows them to be used.  On the black A-26 I even used setting solution but still looks like crap.  At least my Grandson doesn't care.  He just loves all the models I build.

20210130_092411.jpg

• Like 3

This is one of the new Revell kits sold at Hobby Lobby.  1/48 Corsair with folding wings and retractable landing gear.  It was a rebox of a kit originally made in the 60's.  The raised panel lines and details made decals a bit difficult but  they did pull in for the most part.

Testors acrylic dull coat used to seal the decals and the 50 cent a bottle Walmart craft paint.

20210130_093344.jpg

• Like 2

I've had those decals bubble to, a hobby guy who has a shop in Cullman Alabama ... told me about a trick to keep that from happening on older shelfed models ... also said advised to lighty rub the just applied decal with a wet cloth. might try a q-tip dipped in distilled water to pull those decals back down, it's been so many years for me, i can't recall every detail, lol, still looks good, might say this is an aged model... kind gives an idea you built this long ago, so it's got a history of it's own. also could depend on the brand of model, some are cheeps, while others are a very good quality. 

• Like 1

I'm looking at making my own inkjet decals but ran up against one snag.  I can't print white.  On the Corsair I would need to use white decal paper instead of clear and do some serious trimming.  Too much work.  There are some good aftermarket decals to buy and that would make much more sense.

• Like 2

IF anyone has done any wood burning, do u think this basic kit would be able to engrave my last name into this Old previously burnt board?? Wife gave it to me for X-Mas..

C5B06CA0-6224-4C37-B7F5-120F8F744022.jpeg

54081C8C-AEDA-42DF-B1E3-62333847272C.jpeg

09C2B1DE-5966-4D3B-8AB1-FDF621C4FAA5.jpeg

I have a wood burner with a bunch of tips , but never seriously  tried it , you are going for the clean side right , I think that would show up great and not the side that looks burnt , cause I don't think that side will show up to well ---- when I was a kid I had one and use to have patterns that you could transfer to the wood then burn them in 

• Like 1

I messed up a while back , there was a rice paper burning set up in a box with 3 burners and many , many tips = about 50 , with some  books of things someone done , the rice burners are very fine tipped and smaller tools , the guy was asking $25 for all  of it , I was thinking about  , it was there for weeks and when I finally went to get it , it was gone ----  

Rice paper burn drawings look pretty cool , I would guess it is Chinese or Japanese art ---- I can paint by numbers great , but I can't draw at all 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

USS Alabama 1/720 scale.  Took a day on and off to build this one.

20210202_111127.jpg

Nice.  I like that 1:18 (?) spit in the background too.

39 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

IF anyone has done any wood burning, do u think this basic kit would be able to engrave my last name into this Old previously burnt board?? Wife gave it to me for X-Mas..

C5B06CA0-6224-4C37-B7F5-120F8F744022.jpeg

54081C8C-AEDA-42DF-B1E3-62333847272C.jpeg

09C2B1DE-5966-4D3B-8AB1-FDF621C4FAA5.jpeg

I'm going to just blatantly hijack here.  LOL

Seeing that engraver made me think about an abandoned search I had going last week.

Remember my Outlaws that disappeared?  I was think I would engrave identifying marks on a lot of my stuff.  I was thinking of steel stamps, but most of what I'm finding are for stamping soft metal, leather, etc. 

What is out there that will work to stamp identifying marks on steel?

If I had an artistic bone in my body, I might try the wood engraver to make something pretty, but I don't.  LOL

• Like 1

I have 4 different kinds of engravers , electric , air , rechargable and a AA battery powered one , I can spell my name in script and it looks very good , printing is a breeze ----good thing to have ---some have a carbide bit that vibrates in and out , some use a tiny grinding die 

I have a story of how engraving got my stuff back and the guy that stole it caught ---- I had a covered slip with an electric hoist  in the Pointe-a-la-Hache marina with a travel trailer in front of it , it was broken in to several times , they got the TV , VCR , tools , fishing poles , then about 8 years after the last break in , I get a call from a Plaquimines Parish Sheriff , he says he has got some of my stuff that was stolen , I had engraved my drivers license number onto poles and tools , the guy that got caught was the security guard at the marina , who I use to give coffee and biscuits in the cold mornings and fresh fish in the evenings so he would watch my stuff , he tole 4 tires off a Parish truck , he didn't know they emboss them with a hot iron marker , they went to his house and he had his garage filed to the roof with all the stuff he stole over the years , back at the evidence room , I seen many things that were mine , but could have them as they were not marked or I had a receipt with a serial number 

https://www.tequipment.net/Ideal11-113.asp?Source=googleshopping&/?utm_content=engraving tools ebay&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping Campaign(BSC)&utm_source=Bing_Yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&msclkid=fc42cbe8d481188f69c4abf17a7c7d1e

• Like 1

I tried using one of those one time and the thing bounced me around so much it was like a cartoon when a character was being thrown around on jackhammer.  LOL. 

I was really hoping to find a set of hand stamps, where I could just use a hammer and stamp. 

fish...i think you would have no problem doing those post carvings ... as a matter of fact .. I'd like to see you have a run at it, you sure have the collectables around your place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I tried using one of those one time and the thing bounced me around so much it was like a cartoon when a character was being thrown around on jackhammer.  LOL. 

On my electric engraver there is a adjustable collar on the end around the carbide tip  , the tighter you go the less it jumps but it doesn't ping as deep , so you fine tune it to where it is controllable and does the best engraving 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I was really hoping to find a set of hand stamps, where I could just use a hammer and stamp. 

Harbor Freight sold me a set about 5 years ago.

any money in leather craft? or is it a dying art.. pita-politically in-correct.??

not a political question, for those that are challenged, by not knowing the difference. god bless!!

Edited by LedFTed

13 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

fish...i think you would have no problem doing those post carvings ... as a matter of fact .. I'd like to see you have a run at it, you sure have the collectables around your place. 

thanks for having faith in me , but I am not artistic when it comes to things like drawing , painting a scene or sculpture ---- I don't think I could even do a good stick man ---- I do have about 15 8 ft piling cut offs at the end of the street , might have to give it a try , if they came out decent , they might be worth $100 each , I don't know what Karl gets for  his carved poles , I need to ask him this weekend 

• Like 1

oh with you past history of doing models .. yeah... I'd give a shot, with the understanding of how busy with other things you are, for close that kind of money it would be worth it plus you have the market area to sell them, if you wanted to, that land you over see, might have some grand old logs to do carving on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retro said:

Anyone into pyrography art, wildlife & portraits? This is a friend of mine, she is a very talented artist and a very hard worker.

https://www.facebook.com/J.Walitalo.art/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_3fez4NwO3t0odE9qrtvCg/videos

https://joannar60.wixsite.com/mysite

She is good , I liked the eagle feathers , looked real 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 2:10 AM, 56Sierra said:

Harbor Freight sold me a set about 5 years ago.

But would they stamp steel, or just softer metals?

My handwriting is horrible.  I can't imagine what it would look like if I tried to use that engraver Fish posted, although for a normal person that might be the way to go.

15 hours ago, retro said:

Anyone into pyrography art, wildlife & portraits? This is a friend of mine, she is a very talented artist and a very hard worker.

https://www.facebook.com/J.Walitalo.art/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_3fez4NwO3t0odE9qrtvCg/videos

https://joannar60.wixsite.com/mysite

Looks good!  I can't imagine doing that with a pencil and paper, much less burning that into wood!

• Like 1