shadetree

1988 trx350D foreman 4x4

You ain't lying , TooDeep ----- Them boys have the goods , but they want the money ------  I seen Big Red NOS side covers go $250 still in the plastic bag , never touch by human hands ---- Think Shade would step up for a $250 side cover , LOL , I don't !!!  ------ I'd be cutting up a blue 55 gallon plastic drum 

23 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Most of the guys are really proud of their parts on hoarders but it would be worth a try. If your thinking about painting one I can look, I might have a red one.

yeah, gonna paint it regardless, all the pastics will get a fresh coat of blue paint, so even if I come up with a red right side cover ?, it wont matter when I am done..lol.

• Like 1

It is getting harder to find parts for the older ones -----------   I got a 92 300 , front bumper is ok but I wouldn't mind finding a new better one , been looking for 2 years now , the 92 front bumper is pretty unique , I seen two in two years and they were both worst than what I got now   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superrman77 said:

Shade I sent you a pic.  I have both covers in blue.

nice talking with ya bro, if that tab wasn't broken off ?, i'd jump all over it !..lol. i'll be in touch if and when I locate you a trunk lid.

7 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Definitely following this restoration! Loved following the last one 

lol, well.its going slow right now, i've got way too many things going on out at my buds place. spent all day yesterday shopping for parts for this, and grabbing '' newer '' plastics ( red ) for my '89 trx350D foreman 4x4 that I have been trying to talk him out of for about 3 years ?, he finally gave in, and let me have them !!..lol.

• Like 1

still cleaning the engine cases, been taking way too long, between this engine, and helping my bud at his place ?, i've been really tired, hours all messed up, I did get a little cleaning done on the cases today, I hope to start putting the lower engine back together soon !.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

still cleaning the engine cases, been taking way too long, between this engine, and helping my bud at his place ?, i've been really tired, hours all messed up, I did get a little cleaning done on the cases today, I hope to start putting the lower engine back together soon !.

How do you go about cleaning the cases?

5 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

How do you go about cleaning the cases?

once the motor is split, gutted, If they are really nasty with mud, grease, baked on red clay so to speak ( which most are ! ), I take a can of '' easy-off '' oven cleaner to them, best thing on the market that I have found that really works !. a little brushing here and there, rinse with water hose, presto, clean cases. but !!!!!!!!!!, it will turn the cases dark gray. soooooooo, I follow up with a buffing on my bench grinder that was a wire wheel on it, then I use a Dremel with a very small wire brush on it to get into the small places the large wire wheel can't reach. pretty simple. I will post a few pics later on today, so you can see how clean the cases turned out :-).

• Like 1

Looks great Shade. I’ll definetly be following. Maybe I’ll beat you done!!😂😂 no race....you do darn fine work. Thanks for all the help!! 

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

You find a sending unit Shade?

Looks like this guy won't be using his.

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/replaced-gas-tank-in-my-1987-trx350d.130978/#post-1305476

lol, yeah, found a brand new nos sending unit on ebay, 238.00 shipped..lol. he's a day late, and i'm a dollar short..lol.

On 12/1/2019 at 2:13 AM, shadetree said:

here's some lower engine work going together.

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

Looks great Shade. Very impressive!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Looks great Shade. Very impressive!

thank you trxpipuk !, lots of work goes into cleaning parts, but thats ok, its what I love to do :-).

• Like 1

update: got the lower motor together, still need to adjust the valves, called it a day/night, installed std rings, fresh hone, put top end together.

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TRX Student said:

! that's nice.

thank you !, you will sware its not the same atv when I am done ?!..lol.

Wow that engine is sure built a lot different from my 450....looking good...

I just seen an 87 (I'm guessing) on FB today in my area. They was selling the tires (pretty much brand new bear claws) for $200 and the complete machine attached to them was thrown in (bad motor). Needless to say,  it was sold before I could get a message sent. 

8 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I just seen an 87 (I'm guessing) on FB today in my area. They was selling the tires (pretty much brand new bear claws) for $200 and the complete machine attached to them was thrown in (bad motor). Needless to say,  it was sold before I could get a message sent. 

if it was blue ?, then yeah..i can see it happening !!..lol. these old atvs are collector items for some, not because they are pretty, ride smooth ?, THEY ARE WORK HORSES!!, BUILT CORRECT FOR THIER TIME !.

It was red (there are a lot of blue ones in this area) but fenders looked all intact with no breaks. Wheels looked in good condition and you could still see the tips on the tires. I have 3 very rough ones I planned on making into one, with this one I could have made 2. 

Mist likely I'll see it in a few weeks to get an estimate on making it run.