Wheeler

Brutal Accident.

Well in my way home from work Jan 10th I ran outta fuel in my 2018 Nissan Titan XD 5.0 Diesel.  Managed to pull over at a rest stop area. Called my wife to come pic me up to get fuel. She arrives in our  2011 VW Golf TDI with our Niece and ho just arrived from New Brunswick the nite before. So we go to fuel station & fill up 2 jerry cans of diesel. Head back to the rest stop & I park beside the truck which again is I. The rest area. Wife & I get out, niece is in back seat with seat belt on & I fuel up the truck. I get into the truck, prime it once, then all I remember is reaching for the push button start only to find myself on the dash & I to the steering wheel. I’m like WTF??!! I get out & find myself 3 truck lengths from. Where I was parked & a car under my truck. Wife is screaming & crying. I run to her, asking if she was hit?!!  She claims no so I run to car to check on my niece. She claims she’s ok.. so I go to check on the driver if the car. He’s a hot mess. Not gonna lie I almost killed him. He was found not to be impaired & my assumptions of being on phone are basically asserted. Wife was beside our car, & said he just casually drifted into the rest area without hitting brakes or slowing down. He hit me at 60+ mph. We are all very lucky. I have grade 2 whiplash, soft tissue & muscle damage. I’ve retained a lawyer & we will see what happens. But I currently had both my vehicles taken out. I’ll post more pics tomorrow when I go get my personal belongings from the truck. 

A4FA901E-4164-4C9F-929C-39B9AFB3D1A4.jpeg

138ADCB0-9B8E-4CCE-A79C-B0575D5FF997.jpeg

90A97755-3378-40B9-AE47-F421AC277A2B.jpeg

B11FCC22-AFD2-4750-9123-F42CA1E28CB9.jpeg

57AB1E33-4630-40D2-9D19-578956832FC7.jpeg

D7EE96A0-EBD2-4D59-A524-685400CE9E58.jpeg

432827EE-E16F-44CD-9FD0-02A629448B3B.jpeg

5BB5F7E5-FE65-4CF4-9D0E-462AAFCBF4A1.jpeg

87815F07-6EA6-40C3-B5D6-BD46F6E65621.jpeg

539B94FD-4FC0-4190-A83F-B4CAB3998A51.jpeg

94BEFA6A-605E-488B-BE42-5E6089BF83C1.jpeg

49671D3F-3F00-4088-8094-676D3A119721.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Wheel you had talked about this in chat the other night, more details here in your thread.  So glad you or your family members were not seriously injured better the vehicles than you.  But that is a bummer as I know your vehicles are well taken care of, hope you are able to find good replacements.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bummer about your vehicle  -------  glad y'all are here to tell the story 

• Thanks 1

Glad you’re all still with us.  Hopefully no permanent damage to any of you. 

If the other driver was indeed on a phone I hope you take him to the cleaners.  Being stupid and putting others in danger should hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank the Lord you all are alright!  i have seen crashes at night over the years where the vehicle driver sees tail lights & thinks its the car ahead of them on the road. By the time they realize its parked its too late to react. Just another possibility but i wouldnt mention it to them 😬

• Thanks 1

That's rough.... Wheeler, glad you, you niece and miss wheeler are okay..... Just goes to show one never knows what will happen from one till the next.... Hang in there bro. 

• Thanks 1

Man I'm glad you and your family and the stupid traveler are all OK!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to the tow truck yard today & have added more pictures to original post.  To make things just a hair worse, someone stole my Oakleys that were in the little microfibre bad up in the sunglass thing above windshield, as well as the tray that’s inside the console with change ect. My jerry cans are missing, my 4amp/Hr battery charger missing, power cord ect. 

I had mental breakdown today while on phone with my father. After seeing the truck & inside the truck it just hit home how lucky we all were. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Take care of yourself and your family. Glad you guys are OK. That's messed up but dang you all were very very lucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brother that was one scary accident.   The outcome wasn't far away from being one with serious injuries or worse.

Good news that you are still here and able to tell us about it.  It will be even better news when you report of a full recovery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!! Very glad you and your family are ok.

• Thanks 1

That's terrible. Glad you are all alive. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know what is terrible.  Them stealing your stuff out your truck.  

• Like 2

Ya it’s a kick in the balls. 

I found out yesterday that they take the value of ur vehicle, & if 75% of that for repairs plus salvage cost is a write off. So I am guessing they will fix it but I’ll find out this week. They are towing both to the collision place today. 

im more sore in the mornings & day after Physio. Which is to be expected. Our niece goes for an assessment this afternoon in as she started to complain about her arm/shoulder. I’ll keep y’all posted. Thanks again for all the support! 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I hope you don't live in a no fault insurance state.

Wheeler is in Canada 

48 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wheeler is in Canada 

Hopefully they have fair insurance there.  We call no fault insurance "Your fault" because that's essentially how it works out.

7 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Hopefully they have fair insurance there.  We call no fault insurance "Your fault" because that's essentially how it works out.

I hope he gets made whole again too ! -- Insurance is such a caper and I can only imagine how Canada's laws  might be 

We have something called " Uninsured  Motorist " and another thing called " No Pay / No Play " ,  I like that second one , happened to me , I run into a girl on the Interstate , it was my fault , she never had insurance , they towed her car off the Interstate and impounded it , left her at the exit , I gave her a ride home and then she tried to sue me as my insurrance would not fix her car  , my insurance stepped in and supplied the lawyers to put a cockblock on her , she didn't get anything  ,  as she did not meet the monetary  threshold amount , of she would have played hurt it might have ended differently ----  thank goodness 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I hope you don't live in a no fault insurance state.

Our Insurance company & lawyer as already stated ALL liability is in the other driver. He’s at fault 100%. As we were parked in rest area & he left highway. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Did the frame on that nissan get bent ? Saw where it took a good lick on the left rear wheel... (More from the rear) From what you could see any other damage ? Besides the broke leaf spring, tweaked shock, air bag Lower mounting plate and wheel ? Possibly  the  rear disk rotor.... If it's got the standard type  box frame..and not   The c channel type....  Those box frames are super strong, but can be bad about rusting due  To  th e crud that doesn't  get washed out...

• Like 1

@_Wilson_™ I couldn’t tell or  see any visual twisted or bending of the frame. So I’m. not sure. The frame is tougher than the small car that hit it that’s for sure. As the car did what it was designed to do.. crumple… I’ll know soon enough…

Something else that sucks is my keys are missing with the fob & aftermarket remote. Tow truck guy made note they were not in truck nite of accident. But they sure were in cup holder when I got hit…. Only set I have too…

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

It's ashamed ..... Because in 2020 nissan stopped putting the 5.0 leter turbo diesel in the Titan trucks... Which would make  this a collectors truck some time in  the future.... And i recall how excited you were just before you got that truck....so not  just that  y'all came so very close to being hurt really bad, plus having personal items stolen.. And now a dream  truck damaged ? Oh yeah.... I'd be hot under the collar ....  I might be letting my personal feelings about this show... But i hope they nail  that guys hide to the wall.. And you get all your items back.. There's not   Too much about vehicles that bother  me... But knowing how  you are so detailed about  your machines.... I feel for yah bro... And i did research that 5.0 L cummins.... I'm impressed... And actually surprised at nissan and cummins partnering up.... Everyone  knows what  that partnership between Cummings and Chrysler did for dodge trucks.... Anyways here i go again rambling.... So enough out of me... I hope all  this is sorted out in y'all's favor. 

• Like 1

Got the call today. The truck is wrote off. Allstate is behind due to the high volume of accidents so it will be 3-4 weeks before someone can assess the truck & we talk $$$. Unreal if you ask me, but it is what it is.... I've got $18,220 in receipts for upgrades/accessories & have found 6 trucks with similar milage in my Province for $60-$65K (all stock!) so I'm hoping I may come out ahead... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Got the call today. The truck is wrote off. Allstate is behind due to the high volume of accidents so it will be 3-4 weeks before someone can assess the truck & we talk $$$. Unreal if you ask me, but it is what it is.... I've got $18,220 in receipts for upgrades/accessories & have found 6 trucks with similar milage in my Province for $60-$65K (all stock!) so I'm hoping I may come out ahead... 

That sucks.  They at least providing a rental for you?  I had to fight tooth and nail to get state farm to give us a rental after a woman ran a red light and hit the wife.  They kept telling me to pay for it and they would reimburse me for it.  I kept calling and finally got a nice woman who agreed that it was their fault, so we should get a rental.  It took about 8 months to get her car fixed, and the rental would have been about $750/week for me, so do the math.  I think the insurance company got the car for about $40/day, but they still shelled out a lot of $$$ for that rental.

• Like 2