Melatv

Weather

Nasty looking, that flooding crap scares me. We get flash floods sometimes up here at least we have high ground to go to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Dangit.  Beat me to it.  My wife is always the first to throw out the "That's what she said"

oh... you know that was a setup..... anyways back to the weather ... more light rain.... hey ff.... I've heard when y'all bet floods out that way... there's not much of anything to (soil) soak the run off .. it's mostly sandy rocky out there, correct ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™

8 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Nasty looking, that flooding crap scares me. We get flash floods sometimes up here at least we have high ground to go to.

600 ft. not much, above the ocean. the road has been closed, and the way out from the driveway. ya can only go so far. isolated during a flood. Oh Well!

been a while sence I've heard the statement,  (gully washers) ... last one i recall was back when i was a very young man ... we had a drought year .... so not much growth to soak the flood waters in... this is pretty much what most of the farm land looked like whether it was crop, land or pasture ... bunch a farmers folded over that mess... i-65 along with highway 31 were  closed in certain spots ..and after the flood .. it was a total mess.... roads washed away ... creeks littered .. with what ever you could think of ... dead animals  ... lawn fixtures ... all kinds of trash .. ... dairy farm slury pond run off .. etc ... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like I am going to be on the wrong side of Laura the tropical storm , the are expecting it to make land fall as a hurricane  about 90mph at this point

Question , Siri : " What is the worst side of a hurricane to be on ?? "  

During hurricane season you may hear talk about the different sides of a hurricane or as we as meteorologist like to refer to the different sections of hurricanes as quadrants.

Hurricanes can be broken down into four quadrants and while all sides are dangerous, the most destructive is the right front quadrant. This is due to the forward motion contributing to the rotation of the storm.

This side of the storm tends to have higher winds, higher storm surge, seas, and the highest rainfall. Land-falling hurricanes tend to produce the most tornadoes in the right front quadrant too.

This is not to be confused with the strongest part of a hurricane which is the eye wall. The eye wall is the strongest part of the storm because of the air located in the eye wall moves faster than any other part of the storm and it pulls in warmer ocean water to fuel the storm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

" Thanks , Siri !!!  Think I will be OK ???" 

Siri said = " It is a coin flip  and I glad I am not in your shoes !!!"

• Like 1

a tad cooler weather is finally moving in ... i might doing a Ff deal this evening crack the windows.... sure would  help with juice bill... fish did you watch the deadliest storm show last night ? 

• Like 1

Woke up to single digit numbers the past 2 mornings, had to actually light a small fire to take the chill out of the air, fall won't be long coming

• Like 2

The last time it rained here was in July.  Drought conditions.  It rained hard for a half hour today!  Some rain is much better than none.

• Like 1

The last month we had normal rainfall was May.  Rained a little in June and even less in July.  No rain in August until today when it rained hard for a half hour.  Lots of people's wells are going dry.  My well is still ok.  Forecast is for rain on Thursday and Friday from the storm that is in the Gulf of Mexico now.  Hopefully we get that rain.

'

• Like 1

i sure hope y'all get rained on ... i can recall way back when in my younger days .... our spring branch getting very low... and the water was slightly muddy... and only the rich ...had filtering systems, which were fair at best... we just boiled ours ... thats when people added a rain water catch system. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Gulf Hurricane Report

The first storm was down graded last night and looks like it is going to come right against the coast and run  the coast  from Louisiana to Texas , the second storm has intensified a bit ----- what they are afraid of is , that first storm is blowing a lot of water in to the marshlands , then not enough time for that water to recede and the second storm is coming behind it pushing more water , also the second storm is projected to make land fall on the west side of the river , the east side of the storm is the worst side with stronger winds , so no doubt some people in the low lying unprotected areas will get flooding , winds about 100 mph now , these storms can intensify quickly and there is time for it to grow before making land fall  

• Like 3

I hear you , head down to flying objects , but keep the head up above the water 

Hurricane Laura is projected to make it to a Cat 3 115 mph winds  and make land fall in almost the same spot that Marco went ashore yesterday , then projected to head up to  Little Rock , batten down the hatches Shade 

• Like 1

Expecting rain here today, calling for about 30 mm, probably not enough to take off the fire ban...

• Like 1

looks like the brunt is sweeping over Alabama at the moment ... i sure hope we don't get any severe weather from this green toothed monster ... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

looks like the brunt is sweeping over Alabama at the moment ... i sure hope we don't get any severe weather from this green toothed monster ... 

in case ya dont watch the weather channel ?, laura is gonna smack little rock, then head due east to TN !..LOL.

6 minutes ago, shadetree said:

in case ya dont watch the weather channel ?, laura is gonna smack little rock, then head due east to TN !..LOL.

Amazing how a puff of wind off the coast of Africa turns into a spiral , crosses the Atlantic Ocean , goes thru the Caribbean , gets into the Gulf  and winds up in Little Rock 

9 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Amazing how a puff of wind off the coast of Africa turns into a spiral , crosses the Atlantic Ocean , goes thru the Caribbean , gets into the Gulf  and winds up in Little Rock 

we're spec here !..lol.

• Like 1

It poured here for about an hr lots of lightning and thunder, at least I was in the shed already before it started. Gave me an excuse to put a spare light on the snowblower,  the plug for the hand warmers was empty so I just used it, didn't use an led because they don't get hot enough to melt the snow that blows onto the face of the light. Just have to wait for dark to see how it works, 13w I think, should help out.

20200825_125722.jpg

• Like 2