bcsman

Let's talk farm equipment

hold on a sec .... kind of lost me with (i was sitting on the rear left bumper) you were sitting on the left rear fender while it was in motion ? well if the tire was spinning and the tracter wasnt moving, OR maybe slipping alot that could explain the smell. (maybe tire) maybe a sign the clutch is fine.......wish i could be of more help.

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

makes me wonder which weighs more a gal of milk, or water ? 

milk is 8.6 pounds per gallon ,   water is 8.3 pounds per gallon 

thank you, not much defrence.....oh man i hated hauling that water, when it shift it was hard on my rear springs and the brakes and those old Chevys wearnt known to have the best brake system to start with, or corse these were vacum boost type brakes and not hydro boost. 

On 2/5/2022 at 1:27 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

hold on a sec .... kind of lost me with (i was sitting on the rear left bumper) you were sitting on the left rear fender while it was in motion ? well if the tire was spinning and the tracter wasnt moving, OR maybe slipping alot that could explain the smell. (maybe tire) maybe a sign the clutch is fine.......wish i could be of more help.

na, i think that was the problem, i was looking away from the tire, an it was spinning at the same place, for a bit.. i was watching the drop off, on the other side, the clutch pedal, an MY jump off point. i wanted to make sure i could jump off it the tractor turned over... the clutch is still working.

Edited by LedFTed

the other day i took the tractor, 46 ford, over to the neighbors farm an back. couldnt been much more then an 1/8 to 3/16 of a mile. when i got er close to home, i noticed the exhaust manifold an exhaust pipe were cherry red. has to be fuel burning in the manifold i would think. seen a Chevy van do this once..

anybody ever hear of this problem before? i'm not sure what the fix is. it very seldom backfires, unless its cold.

timing is off, carb needs rebuilding, or adjustment, one other thing could be a slightly plug exhaust, I'd be real carefull about getting it that hot,..... and forgetting to let it cool off, at those temps, it could very well warp engine parts.... somewhere so,etching isn't right with that machine. I've got things going on right now...... when thing settle in my life..... I'll check it out, loosing my older sister...... is first on my mind.

NEVER should a small ford gas powered tractor glow cherry red!!! I have worked with and on 8N's since I was about 8 yrs old. Your timing is off and your carb could use a little adj. But the timing is important. That will make a big difference. I have seen exhaust pipes glow but not a manifold. Have a good mechanic check the timing and set

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

it very seldom backfires, unless its cold.

backfiring out the exhaust ? or sneezing [backfiring)  out of the carb ? driving it just that short distance makes me think it's the carb, because i don't recall you ever posting about have the timing altered, but didnt you have someone mess with carb ? 

you take care of your sisters problems. the timing has been off since i got this tractor, it can wait. probably old springs around the front of the engine. i have to read up on the adjustments. it very seldom backfires, even thin, it aint to much. and it only does it, when the tractor isnt warmed up. when i first start it.

i got that handled...... but you don't need to run that tractor if the exhaust is in fact  glowing, I'm just telling you, but you do what you wish, IMO you should joine here https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/ long  ago and seek those guys thoughts, because your tractor has a  number of issues (from what you've posted) too many for me to address....... i wish you alot of luck on getting it fixed.... and when you do, DON'T LET ANYONE ELSE TINKER WITH IT!!

Edited by _Wilson_™

On 2/5/2022 at 1:27 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

i got a major dyslexia problem, words or spelling. i will misspeak , misspell, transpose words, that is the nature of the beast, Dyslexia.. not only do i read, but i hear dyslexia. it is still not understood,, a kind of crisscrossing of the brain. the wires get crossed.

i could correct spelling, once i see it, i dont though, my spelling so bad. tractor. just try to read between the lines. it cant get any better from me. i Banged my head once way to many times. Still got some head banging left. an i will. not with purpose, or on purpose, it just happens. seems a habit of mine. an i do..

i do it very well..

Edited by LedFTed
just because
  • Confused 1

On 4/3/2022 at 6:07 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

i got that handled...... but you don't need to run that tractor if the exhaust is in fact  glowing, I'm just telling you, but you do what you wish, IMO you should joine here https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/ long  ago and seek those guys thoughts, because your tractor has a  number of issues (from what you've posted) too many for me to address....... i wish you alot of luck on getting it fixed.... and when you do, DON'T LET ANYONE ELSE TINKER WITH IT!!

been there, like it. yesterdays tractors.  i appreciate the advice.

an i do.

Edited by LedFTed

On April 3, 2022 at 5:07 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

you don't need to run that tractor if the exhaust is in fact  glowing, I'm just telling you, but you do what you wish,

just remember what i said ^^^^^ Ted, 

• Like 1

General concept  --- I think I would have something I little better than a bottle jump ---- caption said that pic was a clutch job in  a parking lot ---- makes you wonder if your phone calls are monitored for keywords  , as this pic popped  up right after talking about it 

image.png

On 4/9/2022 at 6:25 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

just remember what i said ^^^^^ Ted, 

i aint used the tractor much, it dont backfire, an it dont get hot till i run it wide open in 3rd. i finally got my password to work on yesterdays forum, an got my thread started. on the side, the exhaust is as old as the tractor, an maybe its dont have the back flow it needs. ??IDK, could be a number of things working, all not just quite right. only the 2nd time in my life i seen this happen. i didnt figure it out the 1st time. it was in a mini-van. not mine.

On 4/26/2022 at 6:55 AM, Fishfiles said:

General concept  --- I think I would have something I little better than a bottle jump ---- caption said that pic was a clutch job in  a parking lot ---- makes you wonder if your phone calls are monitored for keywords  , as this pic popped  up right after talking about it 

image.png

haha..where have i seen this tractor stuff where you split it ?.oh yeah, mine !!..lol. least i did not split mine in the parking lot huh ?..lol.

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2020 at 2:01 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

welp..there went a couple hundred grand huh ?..lol.

• Like 1

yup, could be even more, believe or not people in the stands have been struck by engine parts when they explode like that, and those side covers aren't required yet. 

finally got the distributor back in. havent drove it to far as yet. the weights were stuck, in the distributor. exhaust is next.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 11:27 PM, Fishfiles said:

image.png

the way things are going, i might have to buy one of those.

On 5/9/2022 at 4:22 AM, shadetree said:

haha..where have i seen this tractor stuff where you split it ?.oh yeah, mine !!..lol. least i did not split mine in the parking lot huh ?..lol.

too me a bottle jump is, getting your front tires over a coke bottle., when ya goose the carb. the 73 Cuda wouldnt do it. had airplane gears, (just guessing), shoulda had something like 411, or so. im guessing 270, or close, was near 50 years ago or so. the speedometer, went over 200, I could only do 156, i had 4 people in the car, an the carburation wasnt right, dual-pumper 650 Holley. Lucky us.

Edited by LedFTed

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

1951 Indian ( as in Indian Motorcycles ) 

image.png

That reminds me of the pram I rode in as a baby.  Aerodynamic fenders on a baby stroller?  My Dad must have been one cool dude when he was in his early 20's 

• Like 1