bcsman

Let's talk farm equipment

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

How far away from the trees will you be trenching ? 

Got a pic of where this dig is going or how close to a tree trunk ?? 

I can do a pic today ... with a straight shot it would be close , I can go away from the trees and come back , it would add some footage to the total length of the run , but who is to say what is under the ground , this use to be woods 50 years ago with cows and horse  on this land , there is still some of the electric fence wires 

• Thanks 1

Do you'll see anything here that looks promising ----  that I think is a row maker , maybe one plow head in the middle and do away with them wheelsand other plow heads 

NL116LNFRcWcJA2Ok%5qNQ.jpg

YQBCbzIHTjKhjpFdtp7zpw.jpg

cuJw3PloRzWRUAr4rKEmUQ.jpg

vHJnKIySSDeWFeRLo0K5kA.jpg

DI3LI0eLRbu1L0mCGCubQA.jpg

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Well it started with real farmers testing the power of there actual work tracters ..... But they've twisted it some ..... Some bad mothers in this one...... Specially the chevy with Perkins diesel painted on the side.... But trust me thats not a Perkins under the hood......and looks to have 5 tons militeary rear ends, I've noticed those are be oming very popular in rock crawlers, and pulling trucks, it used to be the 10.5 inch dana spicer chunks, from my understanding only the ford 9 inch and 10.5 have the pinion straddle bearing.....same thing as a few honda atvs have utility models only ( i believe ) I'm not sure on the side x sides.......

I like the old Ford best , didn't perform well but looks good ---  something like  1972-1976 ???? 

that crossbar will touch the ground , so it will go down a ways --- likely bent to hades quick 

G%W6noGgS9O5qk0YY90tQQ.jpg

11OashETQJm3yf0%f6TXiw.jpg

WRLiQz4YRRiQbZ7Qf5oxoQ.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I can do a pic today ... with a straight shot it would be close , I can go away from the trees and come back , it would add some footage to the total length of the run , but who is to say what is under the ground , this use to be woods 50 years ago with cows and horse  on this land , there is still some of the electric fence wires 

Out sight out of mind.....lol..... Hm livestock ? More then likeky that area has not been tilled at all ?? And the soil type ? Sandy ?? Clay mix (i hope not) .... 

thx for the upcoming pics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

that crossbar will touch the ground , so it will go down a ways --- likely bent to hades quick 

G%W6noGgS9O5qk0YY90tQQ.jpg

11OashETQJm3yf0%f6TXiw.jpg

WRLiQz4YRRiQbZ7Qf5oxoQ.jpg

So your trenching with this setup ?? Hard to tell from the pics how far away from the ground the tool / cross bar is, but this will give you an idea of how compressed the soil is.... I'm intrested is seeing the results....... And hard to tell how agressive it's going to be, that depends on the foot angle and roots lol!  .... re the bolt holes in the shank slotted for foot angle adjustment ?? Or bolt right up (no adjustment ??) if that's the case you can adjust the top link to compensate, you should also be able to adjust both drop links to raise or lower the arms. 

Here is a pic , from the red square pole to the pump shed , right by the ladder in the pic ---- don't know if the teeth  are adjustable angle at the moment , that bar with touch the ground with no tooth on the bar

jpbybvdtQGq0X1IFDLcTLw.jpg

x5Q1Q6NeTYyVYDgAFcDHSA.jpg

• Like 1

You could always make several passes if need be and maybe bolt or weld a piece of pipe/angle iron (or something else to it) sideways to limit how deep it will go.  A garden hoe would be good to clean the trench out.

I'd say rent a trencher but if you can make something work it's always good to save money when you can.  Self-sufficiency is good.

• Like 1

Yeah i agree on a type of depth gauge limiter..... On some very agressive models a gauge wheel setup is a must have ! Or the 3-point hitch takes alot more abuse...... I missed part of what you asked me, the one i like is the single row (i believe the last 3 pics ? The one you posted the phrase below, that's the setup I'd try 1st.......this is probobly a useless question but i gotta ask.............no draft control on your tractor, correct ?? Because ........ If this plow is very agressive, and no depth gauge limiter is used you,ll work the ! Out your arm, on which ever side the three point controls are on. 

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that crossbar will touch the ground

• Like 1

It has no draft control , arm control -----   I think you'll are right about needing some kind of depth control and making a couple of passed , might be hard to ride in the same rut over again  ----  

• Thanks 1

made a front weight for my b2100 kubota, about 100 lbs give or take ?.. and a pic of my tractor with the new 3ft brush hog.

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

• Like 2

Wilson , you asked if the tips were adjustable , yes they are ---- 

I did a little painting on the " thing "  ----  when it blows up , at least it will look good , lol 

This weekend we having a get together here , got about 20 people coming , that we all grew up together as teenagers  , one of my buddies has a Takeuchi 245 and lives close by , maybe when he sees this rig , he will laugh and feel sorry for me and come over and dig this trench 

6uFwJsGhRVWa1pzBD%kjUg.jpg

• Like 3

I like it!! It will work even better once that foot is good and shiney and smooooooth, i probobly would have worked on that sucker with a twisted  wire wheel on a grinder to eat that rust up... But YEAH! I like it!! Let me ask this when you park that setup on level ground, is the cultivator shank (foot)  level on the ground (front to back and side to side) it's just a small angle front to back, it mostl likely can be adjusted by the top link alone, from the looks it's very close as is.... Maybe just a couple threads in on the top link ?? Aw come on man (when it blows up ??) have faith brother man...... Lol!..... I figured after  what i told you what happened to Ronnie....... Wow! I thought you'd NEVER use one again, at least not the type with a seat..... But he was super luckey, and i mean SUPER LUCKEY it didn't pull everything out of him...... Hurts me just thinking about it.... Oh and i desided not to post about it, i think it would be too much for some To picture..... Besides we do have family members who also look at the forums, and i know if i was a youngster, and read a post like that  i don't think I'd stay around long...... No pun intended, ! then1st time i saw my pops de nut a bull to turn him into a feeder calf i didn't won't any part of it...... But you live and learn, and those Rocky  mountain oysters are very explosive in fine restaurants...... And are really delicious cooked right. 

• Like 1

Yes the shank's tooth  is pretty much level and squared up with the ground

Tractors can be dangerous , there was this guy I grew up around , he was so cool , he had a old school black Indian motorcycle with a suicide shifter from like the 50s  , he was a good friend of my Dad , his name was Bugs Johanson and I was friends with his son Jeff , Bugs and Jeff were both Operating Engineers who like father like son , like to follow the work and operate the BIGGEST crane out there , both were very good at the trade , both traveled the world working on the biggest lifts out there , Bugs retired and lived right here in Lacombe with lots of acreage , a neighbor rode by and seen the tractor going in circles , Bugs had fallen off and the tractor/bush hog  ran over him multiple times , you would never think a guy that sat  on the biggest cranes in the world at the time would be killed by a tractor accident , they think he might have had a heart attack and fell off 

• Thanks 1

Yup..... You never can tell..... Pto shaft nailed a couple farmers and higher hands here, i even had a close call, (well two actually) we had the colored fello nice guy a hard worker to but he had a taste for the home made moon shine, they say he made it wth corn silage ?? I know one thing you could smell it on him from always off, had to be every bit of a 100 proof!!! Anyways he road a bicycle for transpeetation ..unless one of us would drive him where he needed to go.... I took him a bunch of times when weather was bad .he was strong in his lower (from peddling) half, which more then likely saved his life, because ..... He was working for gilbreath farms blowing silage and stepped over the blower pto driveshaft (that was an insane thing to do) and it didnt have the safty slip shield on it, man........ That driveshaft grabbed his pants leg, he had just enough time brace himself, and driveshaft stripped him nude pants and under clothing was striped right off him...... When joe (one of the parteners drove up with another load to be blown, he notice bicycle (what people called him) was naked....... Joe got out to go check on him, and bicycle told him what had happened.... After that, the replaced every pto shaft with the slip safty cover, and joe got tagged as well some how or another he had his jacket torn off him by a live pto driveshaft and not talking a flimsy jacket it was an Carhartt jacket......some how it snagged the back of his jacket, and  reeled him down to the rotating shaft, he was able to hold himself straight ,,while that shaft was trying to flip him upside down, and it just tore the jacket off him, my time, i had (a stupid mistake!!) loose boot string, yup shaft grabbed it and pulled it apart..... And the other ha! I had been fencing and had ripped a place on my pants close to my right ankle, uh hu.....n driveshaft snagged it, and ripped that right pants leg off, i went home changed and had a good long think about hownclosemi came, but inwasnalways about those shaft gaurds being in good working order, ONLY if i can grab the rotating shield and stop it, will i use that machine, if i coildnt grab that slip shield by hand and stop while the shaft was turning..... It got repaired before id use said machine, the odd thing is most of these type of accidents happen with stationary units thank goodness all, of these were 540 rpm, and not 1000 rpm drives.... My old friend Gus was he,ping us one day and he liked to control the walking floor on some of them wagons we healed with, and i warned him, if that 1000 rpm shaft breaks and hits you, it not going to be good, so stand on the back side of the wagon where you have SOME pertection.... He listened.... It makes me all nuts to see someone chance stepping /walking close to one of those rotating pto shafts.....

Just food for thought, bet no one can answer this one, why did NASCAR install the Earnhardt bar role cage ???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Just food for thought, bet no one can answer this one, why did NASCAR install the Earnhardt bar role cage ???

Have not the foggiest , never heard of the "  Earnhardt bar role cage " !!!  >>>>>  I heard about the Bubba noose , that was a hoax , LOL 

• Haha 1

From my understanding a t-joint went through dales front window, and thus the bar was installed ?? Now im not too sure that's right I'll check soon, I've got company coming in soon so ive got to get gone for a tad.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 11:55 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

Yup..... You never can tell..... Pto shaft nailed a couple farmers and higher hands here, i even had a close call, (well two actually) we had the colored fello nice guy a hard worker to but he had a taste for the home made moon shine, they say he made it wth corn silage ?? I know one thing you could smell it on him from always off, had to be every bit of a 100 proof!!! Anyways he road a bicycle for transpeetation ..unless one of us would drive him where he needed to go.... I took him a bunch of times when weather was bad .he was strong in his lower (from peddling) half, which more then likely saved his life, because ..... He was working for gilbreath farms blowing silage and stepped over the blower pto driveshaft (that was an insane thing to do) and it didnt have the safty slip shield on it, man........ That driveshaft grabbed his pants leg, he had just enough time brace himself, and driveshaft stripped him nude pants and under clothing was striped right off him...... When joe (one of the parteners drove up with another load to be blown, he notice bicycle (what people called him) was naked....... Joe got out to go check on him, and bicycle told him what had happened.... After that, the replaced every pto shaft with the slip safty cover, and joe got tagged as well some how or another he had his jacket torn off him by a live pto driveshaft and not talking a flimsy jacket it was an Carhartt jacket......some how it snagged the back of his jacket, and  reeled him down to the rotating shaft, he was able to hold himself straight ,,while that shaft was trying to flip him upside down, and it just tore the jacket off him, my time, i had (a stupid mistake!!) loose boot string, yup shaft grabbed it and pulled it apart..... And the other ha! I had been fencing and had ripped a place on my pants close to my right ankle, uh hu.....n driveshaft snagged it, and ripped that right pants leg off, i went home changed and had a good long think about hownclosemi came, but inwasnalways about those shaft gaurds being in good working order, ONLY if i can grab the rotating shield and stop it, will i use that machine, if i coildnt grab that slip shield by hand and stop while the shaft was turning..... It got repaired before id use said machine, the odd thing is most of these type of accidents happen with stationary units thank goodness all, of these were 540 rpm, and not 1000 rpm drives.... My old friend Gus was he,ping us one day and he liked to control the walking floor on some of them wagons we healed with, and i warned him, if that 1000 rpm shaft breaks and hits you, it not going to be good, so stand on the back side of the wagon where you have SOME pertection.... He listened.... It makes me all nuts to see someone chance stepping /walking close to one of those rotating pto shafts.....

I watched a video on a shooting forum, appeared to be in Russia or somewhere overseas.

Guy in a white jumpsuit is working next to large machinery with a PTO shaft.  You could see the PTO shaft catch on what he was wearing, he tries to get away from hit, and it sucks him up to it and wraps his body around it and goes full speed again.  Pretty much just disintegrated the guy. 

Yes, horribly graphic, but I shut the PTO off on the tractor now every time I get off the seat, and I'm a ! of a lot more careful around such stuff now after seeing that video.  It was haunting, still creeps me out when I think about it.

You don't think that little shift can kill you or rip off an arm or leg, but it will do it before you know what's happening.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I watched a video on a shooting forum, appeared to be in Russia or somewhere overseas.

Guy in a white jumpsuit is working next to large machinery with a PTO shaft.  You could see the PTO shaft catch on what he was wearing, he tries to get away from hit, and it sucks him up to it and wraps his body around it and goes full speed again.  Pretty much just disintegrated the guy. 

Yes, horribly graphic, but I shut the PTO off on the tractor now every time I get off the seat, and I'm a ! of a lot more careful around such stuff now after seeing that video.  It was haunting, still creeps me out when I think about it.

You don't think that little shift can kill you or rip off an arm or leg, but it will do it before you know what's happening.

I have gotten where I don't like to watch the fail videos any more ,  where the people get hurt really bad or even  killed , I will flip the video when it gets rough , it use to never bother me , but lately it does 

• Like 1

I'm Purdy Purdy much the same as y'all, I've seen enough of that kinda carnage for a life time, but that's not the reason i stopped with fire rescu .... I also liked helping people that were injured in wreck or loss of there home due to fire or extremely bad weather, going to places for hazmat calls (for me) became very unsettling regular people (a high percentage) don't realize what's involed with cleaning up a place where street drugs are manufactured ....... There can be a chance of explosions, not to mention the extreme toxic crud criminals   Lieve behind..... I never liked it when we were paged, (or dispatched by radio) because those type people (if you can even consider them as people) don't even care how many lives they put at risk, to make that poison...... And those people i will not risk my life for, heck! So many risk involed in cleaning up after the crimminal element...... I don't think id enjoy getting cancer for some POS, that's just looking to make money and get as many people as they can get addicted to that mess  my thought is, if there arrested ..... Put them on work release program, and they can clean up after there own kind, is my thinking about  this selfish ?? Sure is no doubt ...... But tuff !