bryanc5712

Infamous Honda tick

No idea how to delete that photo I've been gone so long I can't remember!! Plus me and technology... 🤦‍♀️ Anyway how is everyone, long time no speak, been off the forums for a while, rebuilt a 300 during lockdown, but thought I'd make a reappearance, just a convo starter really, what is it that causes the infamous Honda tick? My foreman 450 and 300 are silent, but it seems every other Honda quad I've heard does it, both my machines see the rev limiter quite regular, I paid for that limiter so I'm going to use it, it's there for a reason I say 😂  there not babied in the slightest, I'm very, very parnickity with maintenance etc though, by the book etc, but what seems to be the main cause of the tick? Valve issues, clearances, timing chains, wrist pin noise, all that, seems the pushrod engines are noiser, just curious really 

Edited by bryanc5712
No idea what I'm doing

My Hondas are so quiet the only tick I hear is the crack of the spark plug😉.

What is this tick you type of.  At idle?  I do have a ticking in both my 300s that only happens when first starting to movr when cold.  I think it's the centrifugal clutch weights finding their way.

The "Honda tick" issue does not exist... but many folks do not maintain their ATVs very well, which can result in excessive valve lash noise over time. On many of the Honda's that I have worked on over the years in my area (where farmers use & abuse & NEVER maintain anything), the valve adjuster screws were found hammered out and the end of the valve stems are commonly hammered into a cup shape to match. I generally have to replace the valves and both adjuster screws with new parts to quiet them down. I suspect that "the Honda tick" = "Neglect" in all other parts of the world too. 🙂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, retro said:

The "Honda tick" issue does not exist... but many folks do not maintain their ATVs very well, which can result in excessive valve lash noise over time. On many of the Honda's that I have worked on over the years in my area (where farmers use & abuse & NEVER maintain anything), the valve adjuster screws were found hammered out and the end of the valve stems are commonly hammered into a cup shape to match. I generally have to replace the valves and both adjuster screws with new parts to quiet them down. I suspect that "the Honda tick" = "Neglect" in all other parts of the world too. 🙂

Well, i got the 2000,450,es worked on once., the shop person,[supposed mechanic] said it probably wouldnt do any good. the valves were much quieter after that. the rest of the work they, or he did sucked.

i got rid of the 450 backfire., that was common at the time. [has to do with the carburetor/valves]. didnt have nothing to do with work done at that shop.

Edited by LedFTed

In the defense of the owners and lack of mantainance being the reason. I will say all honda sport quads do have a tick. Expecially 400ex and 450r. I havent really heard utility quads ever tick unless they have had extreme lack of regular oil changes and valve adjustment. I think the 400ex is caused by how many moving parts are in the valvetrain. Rocker arms and sub rocker arms. The 450r i think is because its a shim and bucket design where the cam pushes against the valve directly. As all heads of this design i have heard are very noisy. Could be people dont do math well and dont shim them correct also? My .02

• Like 2

I think you're right @SlammedRanger. You have a lot of experience with sport quads so you know.... my only experiences with them are seeing them parked next to the tavern & throwin' roosters leaving. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The cam decompressors tend to tick on some of the newer bikes.  Has driven many a man crazy on the 05-11 500's, me being one of them.

• Like 2

My Honda XR650L ticks at start up for about 20 seconds. It's a dry sump oiling system. I think it's the oil filter spring ticking until enough pressure.

1 hour ago, texas123 said:

My Honda XR650L ticks at start up for about 20 seconds. It's a dry sump oiling system. I think it's the oil filter spring ticking until enough pressure.

The xr650 is designed very similar to the xr400. Which is the same engine as the 400ex. I would bet the ticking is the auto decompression. The reason its in the first 20 seconds is it works on engine rpm. Uses centripital force to drop into its groove and stop ticking. I would bet if you rev it and hold the idle high for a few seconds you would hear a click and it would stop. That would confirm it 100%

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 9:16 AM, jeepwm69 said:

The cam decompressors tend to tick on some of the newer bikes.  Has driven many a man crazy on the 05-11 500's, me being one of them.

my 07 500 and my 12 420 both tick like crazy i wish i knew how to figure out what it is

Edited by hondafanatic

1 hour ago, hondafanatic said:

my 07 500 and my 12 420 both tick like crazy i wish i knew how to figure out what it is

Have you tried adjusting the valve clearance ? 

Yea mine is starting to get it again, been 3 years since i last adj'd the valves. Now if i can remember the numbers & whether its done cold or hot 😄😬

2 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Yea mine is starting to get it again, been 3 years since i last adj'd the valves. Now if i can remember the numbers & whether its done cold or hot 😄😬

I know you do it cold, but not sure what model you have.

.006 on both in and ex on the 05-11 Foreman ES/FM. 

• Like 1

Mine ticks more than others due to the hardened rockers & cam, with stiffer valve springs. However, I am due for an adjustment currently (or check up)….

• Like 1

I have a Rincon. I have done it before & the info is here somewhere, just too lazy to do it 😆

It might not even be that bad, i only noticed the tick when i ran it a bit in the summer without a helmet 🤔