Melatv

Weather

Snow is supposed to set in again tomorrow. Its raining now and 39* and dropping. Highs are supposed to be in the teens.

Getting the snow today! Sup'd to get about 15inches this aft. Cold winds. Going snowmobiling 🤪

twnn.jpg

• Like 1

for us looks alike another wet winter then cold and snowy so far a couple inches of wet snow, and a tad brush with freezing rain, looks like the storm shelter pump is going to get another work out this season, the weather here has changed over the last few years, no where near the severe storms we used to get..... which I'm thankful for, but the flooding storms  has become very troublesome. 

A dusting fell early this morning. All gone by 10am. 32* now and shows to he in the teens in the morning. 

• Like 1

Expecting ice here early tomorrow morning.  Gotta drag out a couple of generators for older people around town and make sure they run.

Had to help the old man move a big gas heater (old style) up to my sister's last night in case she loses power.  She has a gas fireplace so he's going to hook that old heater up to the fireplace gas line and run the exhaust into the chimney (gas logs were removed at some point before she bought the house, but the gas valve is still there).

• Like 3

jeep hope the best for y'all, we have the same out for us here ICE, and freezing rain here, so far nothing from MTEARS. but the wind is kicking good, and it's a mildly warm rain so far.......dang sure not at ALL normal for this time of year, least not for us. 

• Like 2

We're supposed to get an ice storm here starting tomorrow morning at about 7:00 am.  They say up to 1/2" but we all know how weather predictions are.  The last time we had a bad ice storm here we lost electricity for about a week but that was a long time ago.  I've got a generator but it hasn't been started since the last ice storm so I don't even know if I can get it started.  I'm not too worried about it for myself at least.  I have my wood stove and have a gas cook stove.  I hate it for other people that aren't set up for it though.

Snow can be bad but ice is treacherous.   

• Like 1

Yeah, supposed to warm up after a couple of days, but I still remember "Ice storm '94" when areas were without power for 2+ weeks around here.

We all have generators, multiple ways to heat the homes, so we're more prepared than most.

Gonna be a PITA to dig my generator out from under all the crap I've piled on it.  LOL

• Like 1

61 today and tomorrow for a high , then 44 for a high on Friday  , rain yesterday and today 

We got our electric bill yesterday , the biggest ever by far , $450 , thats over $100 more than ever , we really don't think we did anything different , it really was not that cold , ( the house is total electric ) 

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

61 today and tomorrow for a high , then 44 for a high on Friday  , rain yesterday and today 

We got our electric bill yesterday , the biggest ever by far , $450 , thats over $100 more than ever , we really don't think we did anything different , it really was not that cold , ( the house is total electric ) 

Inflation.  And it's going to get worse.

I'm on levelized billing.   Helps keep things from jumping around as much on our electric and gas bills.

• Like 1

46 today, friday -9. i havent got a clue what we will get. NOAA predictions are worst then, Grandma Clampit's, lady bug in a match box. is more accurate.

As the energy fiasco was unfolding in TX last year I locked my gas and electric rates.  Seems to have paid off so far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LedFTed said:

46 today, friday -9. i havent got a clue what we will get. NOAA predictions are worst then, Grandma Clampit's, lady bug in a match box. is more accurate.

Hey LedFTed, I saw the forceast earlier today and now they're calling for .250" to .615" of ice and then snow on top of it.  I'm sure you and I will get almost the same amounts since you live not too far from me.  I need to check the latest forecast and see what they say.

Edit; I just saw the 6:00 weather report and they upped it to .250" to .700" for us.  If they're right this thing could get ugly.  

Edited by RubiDan
ADD INFO

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I'd have a heart attack if I had an electric bill that high.  I think the highest one I've ever had was in the summer and I think it was about $120.  When I'm not running AC my bills are usually less than $60 but I expect that to be going up because they factor a fuel charge in.  

1 hour ago, RubiDan said:

I'd have a heart attack if I had an electric bill that high.  I think the highest one I've ever had was in the summer and I think it was about $120.  When I'm not running AC my bills are usually less than $60 but I expect that to be going up because they factor a fuel charge in.  

I’m at about 400 a month for electric and gas. Old house lol

Looks like we’re gonna be dragging out generators if we get what is forecast for here tonight.

.1 to .5 inches of ice.  If that happens power will be out for sure

• Like 1

Cooled down lastnight. Was -22 wind chill this morning when I went out to shovel snow. Warmed to about 9 above  back down to -7 right now at 8 0'clock. We'll see what it dops to tonight.  Our heat bill averages about $250-275 in winter with gas and electric, but we run a hot tub too so that definitely adds. I love wood heat but hate the work associated with it.  Grew up having to spend weekend after weekend at the end of summer and fall getting wood, then was my responsibility to hand split all the blocks my dad cut from the 8ft lengths we got. Then had to keep the wood bin full all winter. Loved it when spring came. Don't care much for the mess either. As long as I'm able, I'll walk across the room and turn up the thermostat.  And work an extra day each winter month to pay the bill. 😁

Screenshot_20220202-195911_Google.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah, supposed to warm up after a couple of days, but I still remember "Ice storm '94" when areas were without power for 2+ weeks around here.

We all have generators, multiple ways to heat the homes, so we're more prepared than most.

Gonna be a PITA to dig my generator out from under all the crap I've piled on it.  LOL

@jeepwm69 , i was thinking about what year that epic ice storm hit, 94 sounds very very close if this storm moved in from the west to the southeast (THEN YES THAT WAS THE MONSTER), @RubiDan do you recall what year the ice of the past effected y'all, if it's the same one that effects us here it's call (no joke) STORM OF THE CENTURY i don't recall the thickness of the ice but we took our lives in our Hands feeding cattle round and square bales with trees snapping off everywhere!! hay rings being weighted down with ice and frozen to the ground and having to break ice on ponds to keep cattle from  getting on the ice and breaking through, plus helping the fire department saw the downed trees off of the road ways and homes had to use tractors to pull semis up grades and pull cars out, i can't believe the law actually allowed us to help pull cars and semis around, i reckon one can chalk  it to how bad things got here, those days (like jeep and you) I'll never forget and hope to never go through it again!!! I'd take severe weather over ice any day!!! i don't recall how long the power was out, but there was not a chainsaw to be,located in columbia or the surrounding areas, and gen sets ??? not a chance unless you were days ahead of the approaching storm, my grandfather was on a breathing machine were he HAD to take breathing treatments 3 times a day... so myself and my older sister and (at the time) mike (her husband) went at the start of the season, and rented 2 gen sets, the other plus side is the owner of the rental place was a student of my grandfather when he was a teacher, and told us those generators would be there when we needed them..... the strangest part for me was hearing the tree, and limbs snap off, I'll never forget that sound. 

knock on wood, no ice but! temps are just like they started out last time, warmer then normal, and then the trouble started and went on for days!! best i recall out power for ABOUT a week give or take a few days, it was such a drastic, devastating time, you'd be hard luck to find many people who recall that much of how bad things got. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

10 hours ago, RubiDan said:

It was just the last two months it made this  dramatic jump , $250 was the norm , then the month before it jumped $97 and this month jumped another $107 and it really was not  even cold and to make matters worse , we were without electricity last month for 16  hours during that wind event  ----  think it might not have caught up with you'll yet ----

58 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

It was just the last two months it made this  dramatic jump , $250 was the norm , then the month before it jumped $97 and this month jumped another $107 and it really was not  even cold and to make matters worse , we were without electricity last month for 16  hours during that wind event  ----  think it might not have caught up with you'll yet ----

Yeah, I'd say you're suffering from the "Brandon Effect."  I'm sure the fuel charge will catch up with me very soon.  Gasoline near me jumped 26 cents yesterday and more than that a little farther north.  I do try very hard to conserve energy by using LED bulbs, turning lights out when not needed and using energy efficient appliances.  I also have 6" walls in my house and have 12" to 18" of insulation in my attic.  I think we do have some of the lowest electricity rates in the nation and I'm 100% wood heat so I don't have a furnace blower running.

@Wilson, It was 2009 when we had our big ice storm.  I thought it was longer ago than that but I included a link below.  It says that there was 6" to 10" of snow with 1" of ice on top of it.  The snow didn't make as much of an impression on me as the ice did.  When the trees started breaking there were lots of cracks and pops.

During the 1994 storm I don't think we got much ice but did get a record amount of snow for one day.  It then dropped down to -22 degrees after the snow.  Many businesses shut down for about a week because they couldn't get the snow off of the road after the temperatures dropped.  I've got some old VHS video here of that snow storm.

Everybody stay safe and keep warm.

Remembering the 2009 ice storm: 10 years later (wave3.com)

• Like 3

Wow , minus 22 wind chill , @Freedomflyer  >>>>   I heard it is supposed to drop temp today for us , Texas is getting  hit as I type  , but at the moment it is ok , 66 F @7AM , Crocks and no socks .... 

fullsizeoutput_f61.jpeg

Paid $3.59 for diesel yesterday , that was the most I ever paid >>>>> and remember that the station I got it from is 40 miles from the two closest  refineries  that made it ---- I'd say get ready , cause it is about to skyrocket 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29° here and so far it looks like most of ours has been sleet. We still have power, but two of my coworkers do not.

It does look like it’s supposed to continue on for most of the day, but hopefully with sleet it will just accumulate on the ground and not on the trees.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

29° here and so far it looks like most of ours has been sleet. We still have power, but two of my coworkers do not.

It does look like it’s supposed to continue on for most of the day, but hopefully with sleet it will just accumulate on the ground and not on the trees.

Hope all turns out well for you'll  >>>   what a difference in temps ( 36 degrees) just an  8 hour drive away 

They now saying 35 is the lowest we should hit and 100% BAD storms after noon---- this place will shut down if ice gets on the roads