Melatv

Weather

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

29° here and so far it looks like most of ours has been sleet. We still have power, but two of my coworkers do not.

It does look like it’s supposed to continue on for most of the day, but hopefully with sleet it will just accumulate on the ground and not on the trees.

thank you for the forcast, jeep, so far here it's just very light rain, very very foggy, but still not too cold....I'd say 40-50, the main worry (looking at the radar) is flooding right now, but if this turns into an ice storm it very well could be worse then then the one that hit us years before  y'all stay safe out there with limbs and trees power lines coated with ice.

@RubiDan it could have been 09 ? but we had just about 100% freezing rain, hardly any snow, but yeah, had some sleet, I'll never forget that ice storm, i feel for anyone who has to deal with the chance of an ice storm every season, thank you for the link I'll check it out!

• Like 1

been a while sence I've seen a front that stretches from Mexico / Texas boarder to Toronto. especially this time of year. 

gotta admit the front is impressive. so far the scary ice storm hasnt come true, some weather stations are predicting 8 or more inches. i've seen 3 or more feet, so what is scary is, drivers any more dont know how to drive in it, and dont know how to stay home.

19 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah, supposed to warm up after a couple of days, but I still remember "Ice storm '94" when areas were without power for 2+ weeks around here.

We all have generators, multiple ways to heat the homes, so we're more prepared than most.

Gonna be a PITA to dig my generator out from under all the crap I've piled on it.  LOL

all we got was a lot of snow. 2009 maybe we had an ice storm the knocked out the electric for 9 days. the fireplace insert keep mot of the house warm, didnt reach 70 though. still could cook, watch a tv, take a warm bath, and ave a light at night. know how, to be ready to camp pays off.

26 below zero here today. Tuesday we had a wind chill of 50 below, 35mph winds. I didn't go fishing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

gotta admit the front is impressive. so far the scary ice storm hasnt come true, some weather stations are predicting 8 or more inches. i've seen 3 or more feet, so what is scary is, drivers any more dont know how to drive in it, and dont know how to stay home.

i agree impressive! same here still no ice no snow, heck! it's not even really  cold out, but the other edge of the front has turned loose on us like a cow p-----g on a flat rock,

i don't think one could call them drivers...... lol, more like targets on the roads.... my bad ive just seen so many goofballs on road trying to drive in the mess over the years, it make no defrence to them, black ice, snow, sleet..... just to go out and have look around, uh hu, and what did it cost ?? repair bills. and luckily nothing else......

Wow , emergency alerts going off , on the phone , tv and radio , flash flood warning  and strong wind advisory

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

We got a steady day and a half of rain, then a mix of rain/snow, then snow.  Quite a base of ice on the roads and snow on top of it.  Trucks would not salt too early as it would just wash off.  In the greater area there are two plows in the ditch.  The interviewed one driver and he said he was on a straight stretch and on one part the road is slanted and he just started to slide off, nothing he could do.

Of course, I have a Jeep Wrangler, so I'm immune from all of this and will do wheelies everywhere I go.

273285132_10220763080975445_3663371842043421708_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We got hit with 4 inches of rain in an hour , 1 inch every 15 minutes ,  wow --------   lost cable tv , just getting the air tv and internet right now  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

We got hit with 4 inches of rain in an hour , 1 inch every 15 minutes ,  wow --------   lost cable tv , just getting the air tv and internet right now  

I've been watching this line wondering if it stalled right over you.  The line doesn't appear to have move east much if any all day.  I'm either giving my truck a rsin water bath of going fishing.   Depending on what that line of storms does in the next hour or two.

• Like 1

We got a steady day and a half of rain, then a mix of rain/snow, then snow.  Quite a base of ice on the roads and snow on top of it.  Trucks would not salt too early as it would just wash off.  In the greater area there are two plows in the ditch.  The interviewed one driver and he said he was on a straight stretch and on one part the road is slanted and he just started to slide off, nothing he could do.

i hope the guys okay..... we just still have light rain falling, well.... now it's more of a drizzle, as the next edge of the front comes in, and temps have fallen some, but not enough to worry about just yet, we may have lucked out on this one, but i believe it's too early to tell as of right now. but it's just plain nasty and muddy out, very hard on live stock out in all this weather, it's always better for them to deal with snow, then being soaked to the hide by cold rain, even ice is not as bad as cold bone chilling rain. 

• Like 1

Those weather people are as worthless as ! on a boar hog.  I haven't saw the official report but we got a tiny bit of ice, a little sleet on top of that and a little bit of snow on top of that.  The road in front of my house is clear so I'm sure all the main roads are clear also.  It's just fine with me the way it turned out.

i kind of agree @RubiDan that's why i go mainly by ham spotters >MTEARS< i would think most states have some sorta of storm spotters network, although i could be wrong, MTEARS has been around here for as long as i can recall, the only draw back i can see the weather or some other disaster has to happen before they activate and start giving reports,  radiorefrence.com might have a list of the stations and frequencies in your area / state.  so i keep a handy talkie with me just about all the time, and you can get a simple hand held scanner to monitor analog tell you another known trick, listen to salt / brine truck frequencies,  youd be shocked at how many road reports you'll get from them!! during the winter. 

• Like 2

just a little bit of icing on the roads. nothing really major. par for the course.

35.9*F outside in Ft. Morgan AL this morning.   The lowest I've seen it so far this winter.  Back home an entirely different story. 

• Like 2

it's just about that cold here, maybe a tad lower, (mid to lower twenties) and just a heavy thick frost, so we (down here)  escaped this round. winter mess, i just hope the next round is a good dry snow, NO rain (flooding) and no freezing rain. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Do you have one for ATVs?😉😂

Sure don't ! 

That chart is useless as nipples on a bull hog to me ,  that wind chart starts at 25mph , I could not get my gear reduction'ed  atv to go 25 mph with a 100 mph wind at my back and going down a steep  hill -----  but to our Can-Am guys in the Great  White North the chart  might be helpful 

• Haha 1