SamUK

Vacations...

Or holidays as we call them in the UK..!!

What do you have planned for your next, where is it and why?!

This may seem an intrusive thread but i get intrigued. I tend to choose places I've never been to, just to see what it's like!

Those worthy of mentioning would be Africa, to climb Kilimanjaro. England, UK (Cumbria), to climb Scaffel Pike. Wales, UK, to climb Mount Snowdon.

Believe it or not my vacations are just going camping/riding with family and friends for a week. The kids talk about it all year long and can't wait to go. I love it because there's no cell service and its not the typical go, go, go kind of thing. I actually get a chance to sit back and relax. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Believe it or not my vacations are just going camping/riding with family and friends for a week. The kids talk about it all year long and can't wait to go. I love it because there's no cell service and its not the typical go, go, go kind of thing. I actually get a chance to sit back and relax. 

I'm also a fan of camping, as you say, there's no cell service, your away from reality and life as we know it 🙂

• Like 1

I guess I had enough of trips in my life  , cause when I get time off I just want to hang loose around the house , relax and do what ever it is that pops up ---- vacations are a lot of work , money and  stress , humbug LOL 

• Like 3

Oddly enough as a dairy farmer I don’t get to go on vacation too often haha. I usually travel to the other end of the province in the fall to visit some family for a couple days and every 2nd spring we like to head over to New Brunswick for a farm equipment show. I’d like to travel more but just don’t have time, and with a young daughter it makes it a little harder. 

When I worked out west I spent about 60-70% of the year on the road traveling all over northern Alberta and BC, staying in camps and hotels, over the last few years it’s been nice to just be at home lol. 

• Like 2

For vacations my girlfriend loves to go down to resorts in Mexico or wherever there are beaches. I personally just love to stay at home and go in the woods; stuff that relaxes me. Few brews here and there and I'm a happy camper. As for traveling, I'm not the stay-on-the-beach type; infact I cook up in the sun and generally rather be under shade. I'd much rather go to Iceland for traveling. I really love nature so everything that could have mountains or hiking; that's my type of travel experience. 

• Like 1

Wife and I took a 5 year vacation,traveling and working in Rv Parks to cover expenses.Our fun took a turn when dad had a stroke,and was placed in a nursing home.I am back living on our family land have a 1.3 acre lot.We have been idle for 22 months,we have decided with the cost of traveling to stay put for a while.Dad is still hanging in there and mom needs us to help,so that is another reason for us to stay.

If we never are able to travel full time again,that's ok we seen a lot and had a fun 5 years.

• Like 2

We normally go to the beach every summer.  Go to a fairly remote spot just South of Charleston SC that is gated, so the beaches are more or less deserted and the area is right next to a huge nature preserve so they're very strict on keeping the area critter friendly.

When the kids were younger we'd crab, fish, explore the marshes and play with all the critters, but now that they're teenage girls we pretty much sit on the beach, read, and drink beer, and then eat a lot of seafood.

Didn't go last year because wife was 11 months pregnant during beach season (really only 7, but she looked like she was 11).  Already put a deposit down on the house for next summer.

I'd be content to hang out around the farm, but with a house full of women, the beach it is.  I do love me some seafood, and Charleston is a really neat city, so I enjoy the trip.

• Like 2

Sam, as you may remember.....me and the wife love Colorado. We try to ride off road there every year or two if possible. I rode there twice in two weeks two years ago! We also ride Mena Arkansas and Red river motorcycle park in Bulcher Texas. I've been to Cloud Croft New Mexico a few times to ride off road there.....first time was the infamous 911......wow, that was an experience. I love to hike and explore but my knees are shot, We hiked the Grand Canyon down to "Plateau Point" and back up in about five hours back in 1984......thirteen miles! I want to drive around and do something similar to what riverc did but that's in my future. My dream vacation would to load the wheelers and my YZ 250 in a small "Toy Box" trailer and travel without any hurry or specific agenda. Perhaps take several years doing it too! By the way Sam.......are you and the wife and Baby X still planning on a trip to the States when " the money's right?" If so just let us know. I'm sure several us us can help/accommodate.

Edited by Misterclean
error
  • Like 1

well, I think its been a long time now since I took a actual vacation vacation 

Been out of work now about 10 yrs, and the funds ain';t there like they used to be, 

to plan and take dedicated vacations, as I maybe once did(I used to travel across the usa almost every yr ) or take  4-5 hunting trips every yr or more!

for most of my like I took countless trips all over the USA and other countries, even

some for work, some for hunting, snowmobiling and some for racing all sorts of things, so gather I was lucky to see all I did and travel as much as I did for so long!

as I guess some can call them all vacations, ??

BUT? However???
many of them trips, I ended up so busy doing things, following schedules, and such

you needed a VACATION when you got back

or when younger and took warm weather trips,  warmer weather spots , and  you drank yourself silly, you really needed a day or two when you got home to recover!

was more drained than if I worked a full week at my main job? HAHA!
so, have to question if they were really vacations or not now, looking back !

because I guess the  point of a vacation is to relax and de stress and not be worn out when the vacation is over >>

SO< I question  what a vacation is??

guess they  can be  really different to everyone!

That said,  I have no real plans of any up coming vacations, OR ?? since I now stay at my hunting property 

almost yr round now  ,

maybe am on vacation all the time and just didn;t know it?? HAHA!

• Like 1

My next Vacation, will be out east on my motorcyle. Viginia , West virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Never been that far out east. Nice backroads route me and some buddies are going to do. Its nice to finally have a great job and be able to go places. I've never been out of the states before so maybe in the coming years haha.

• Like 1

I've been on vacation since I left the corporate employment world, approaching 20 years now. I travel a couple times every year to spend time with family and old friends, so those trips might be considered vacations to some...? Those trips are OK for about 10 days each then I get restless. I am happiest here in the woods where I chose to retire... fishing, hunting, exploring or tinkerin' with hobbies... its all the same to me. Travel was fun and interesting while I was young. But not anymore... travel nowadays means I gotta drop what I want to be doing to go do something else.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

Oddly enough as a dairy farmer I don’t get to go on vacation too often haha. 

I don't of  know any dairy farmer that ever had time to go on vacations...lol, i thought that was a 24/7 job lol! As for me... Nah, I've seen enough .. Plenty of  camping, hunting, riding, and fishing around here, I'm just more content, looking after my own place. 

been to Florida, the east coast, out west (not including California)  up. North, basically all over, that was plenty for me, 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I don't of  know any dairy farmer that ever had time to go on vacations...lol, i thought that was a 24/7 job lol! As for me... Nah, I've seen enough .. Plenty of  camping, hunting, riding, and fishing around here, I'm just more content, looking after my own place. 

been to Florida, the east coast, out west (not including California)  up. North, basically all over, that was plenty for me, 

Haha it’s true, luckily there is a couple of us here so we can make it work if one of us leaves for a couple days lol

On 12/4/2019 at 6:35 PM, Misterclean said:

Sam, as you may remember.....me and the wife love Colorado. We try to ride off road there every year or two if possible. I rode there twice in two weeks two years ago! We also ride Mena Arkansas and Red river motorcycle park in Bulcher Texas. I've been to Cloud Croft New Mexico a few times to ride off road there.....first time was the infamous 911......wow, that was an experience. I love to hike and explore but my knees are shot, We hiked the Grand Canyon down to "Plateau Point" and back up in about five hours back in 1984......thirteen miles! I want to drive around and do something similar to what riverc did but that's in my future. My dream vacation would to load the wheelers and my YZ 250 in a small "Toy Box" trailer and travel without any hurry or specific agenda. Perhaps take several years doing it too! By the way Sam.......are you and the wife and Baby X still planning on a trip to the States when " the money's right?" If so just let us know. I'm sure several us us can help/accommodate.

I have a friend who heads to Colorado several times a year, he loves it..!! 

We do plan on a USA adventure at some point but obviously money is the biggest factor... To make the trip worth while we'd need at least a month plus the funds.. With a little one nearly with us it's safe to assume that this trip is on hold for the foreseeable. 

My ideal trip would be to work whilst in the USA, but from what I've learnt that can prove to be difficult. It seems easier in Australia or New Zealand...

I've had several offers now for assistance with accommodation etc, I REALLY DO appreciate that as well folks, it means a lot. 

I'd love to get the opportunity to meet you all I really would, it will happen one day, I'll make sure of it 🙂

• Like 1

My uncle was a dairy farmer and I helped out in summers when out of school.  I was able to take over and let he and my aunt take a couple vacations before he finally sold the cows, so know all about dairy farming...

I was in the Air Force reserve for 35 years and traveled all over the world on our planes, C-130 and KC-135's.   Also worked civilian down to the base to work on them during the week also.  So my idea of vacation like a few others is hanging around the house, wandering my 10 acres of woods and cutting, mowing my 5 acres of lawn, and enjoying nature.  

• Like 1

the wife and I have been "adjusting"  our vacation activities as we have gotten older...she was for many many years, a PADI scuba instructor and we both love to dive...so, many of our vacations centered around dive trips..whether overseas, caribean, great barrier, etc...and many trips with our own boat to our Florida keys.

before that, we were parents of 4 kids...so vacations were always about the family...ORlando Disney and Universal, beach, etc.

The wife also enjoys "rock hounding"...digging for gem stones and fossils... I could care less about it, but about a decade back when she was hot to do it with a couple area clubs, it gave me the excuse to purchase a used travel trailer (26ft)..she was all for it...and I hang my ol Honda CT90 on the bumper and get some nice ride time in at various places..her digging trips have taken us across 11 different states and the lil honda has made runs in all of them.....me supporting her hobby has made her happy to support mine.

We had no real vacation this year as she had knee surgery...year before...week of diving in Bonaire.

I am having a new engine installed in my old 22ft boat..upgrading the 305 to a 350..new upholstry, etc...so 2020 will be looking to enjoy the money spent on that as much as possible...but we have plenty of water here..so weekends....vacation is still an unknown... I don't see that she'll be back up and ready for kicking it from our own boat in the keys this summer..but that's what she'd love to do again...

but even if time off involves little more than a road trip, camp grounds, short rides or boating fun... at age 63...it's good.

we're a bit spoiled  I guess..cause our backyard offers us a nice pond for fishing, woods and trails for walking, riding hondas, a decent inground pool, etcand it's 7 miles to the boat landing of a nearby lake and 30 miles of river..I'm happy frankly to just be home and enjoy all this...she likes the adventure, so I'm just laid back about it  ... she tells me where she wants to head, I hitch up the camper to the 3500 diesel and drive.

• Like 1

My wife runs a travel agency and she gets a generous stipend annually to travel on; so we've done a LOT of traveling. I've been very fortunate to travel to a lot of places I could not have otherwise gone; Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, Yellowstone, California, Jamaica, The Caymans, and many others by land, air, and sea through the years. I use to be an avid scuba diver, loved to go south back then. Now I'm older, slower, more cautious and would rather go north, preferably into the mountains, if given a choice. Funny how interests change during a lifetime. I dream of retiring to a secluded cabin in the mountains but I doubt my wife will ever grant that wish.

Funny story about a dairy farmer I met a couple years ago. The farm has been in his family for several generations. I was at his farm one afternoon and we got to chatting. The discussion turned to vacations and he commented that he'd missed milking two, maybe three times, that he could recall in since he was a young boy. About the same time, his teenage son was passing by on a tractor with a bale of hay and the farmer said, "Sadly, I'm afraid the farm will die with me because my son is headed to college soon and has no interest in it." Then I replied, "I wonder why!!" Hats off to dairy farmers, they are special breed with tremendous dedication.

Edited by KoolBreeze
  • Like 1

yep...as part of the dive industry, the wife also got into travel agent stuff for a few years...she'd get all sorts of FAMs...I seldom could join her as my day job didn't allow it...so she and gal friends would head out..cruisies, carib, etc..

my day job did get her with me to Australia though...great barrier, coral sea, etc...as an exec at the time, my company allowed me to trade in my Biz Class seating for a pair of coach seats..so she could fly for free with me and of course hotel etc paid for..so once over there for biz, I'd take some vacation time and leverage that travel.

these days...we are grateful just to load up our old travel trailer, toss a honda on the back bumper, and go enjoy anything from digging for crystals in Arkansas to easy scuba trips in Florida...heck we even pariticipated in the golf cart parade at the halloween campground deal last year...so we know we're gettin old (grin)

We had a family trip , 7 adults and 2 teenagers, planned for Walt Disney World last week but of course thats been scuttled because of this d&^%$# virus..  Had to move it to September.  We have had a 3 other trips to Disney.

We have rented big houseboats in Voyagers National Park in Northern Minnesota which was 6 adults and 4 kids.  We had a blast and peaceful times in the quite of the north woods.  My wife and I have gone to Scottsdale quit a few times.  We live on a lake so that's like a vacation to some when the kids and grand kids come for holidays.