dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

24 minutes ago, PROV said:

I dropped mine off for service today. Was hunting some rough country way out in the boonies. A quarter mile from a logging road my machine made quite a lurch and shudder and wouldn't move. The boot coming off the rear of the engine must have had a cut I didn't see. Water washed out the grease and the clay did the rest. Blew the U-joint. Buddy I was with towed me to the road. Was able to get a text out and the gang brought a trailer 8 miles to pick me up. I was relieved it didn't break where we had been. Towing out of there would have been an adventure of it's own. Had to borrow a machine from my son until mine is fixed. It's a 2005 500 Foreman in great shape. I can say if I had to ride that all the time I would have to quit riding. 2 days of riding and my wrists, back and hind end hurt enough to quit and come home. I wouldn't give up power steering and independent suspension for anything!!

IMG_20231011_155836250_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231010_212828.jpg

IMG_20231016_171713072.jpg

Ah, you big baby.   I'll be 48 next week and after spending 15 years on an 05-11 Foreman, I'm starting to grease the balljoints and tie rod ends a bit more often, and appreciate the Perfex Long Travel lift that makes it ride a little smoother.

But I'm not to the point where I'll admit I need PS and IRS yet!  I figure when I hit mid 50's I'll probably use some contorted logic to justify saying I "need" those things.

I will say my heated grips stay on if the temp is under about 80 degrees.  Really helps with the arthritis LOL.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, PROV said:

I dropped mine off for service today. Was hunting some rough country way out in the boonies. A quarter mile from a logging road my machine made quite a lurch and shudder and wouldn't move. The boot coming off the rear of the engine must have had a cut I didn't see. Water washed out the grease and the clay did the rest. Blew the U-joint. Buddy I was with towed me to the road. Was able to get a text out and the gang brought a trailer 8 miles to pick me up. I was relieved it didn't break where we had been. Towing out of there would have been an adventure of it's own. Had to borrow a machine from my son until mine is fixed. It's a 2005 500 Foreman in great shape. I can say if I had to ride that all the time I would have to quit riding. 2 days of riding and my wrists, back and hind end hurt enough to quit and come home. I wouldn't give up power steering and independent suspension for anything!!

IMG_20231010_212828.jpg

p.s. ?..wth is that ??..IRS..and what is this ?..lol. whata wuss..i'm 59, and i've learned to deal with old school honda's !. once you learn on an old '89 trx350D foreman ?..you learn real quick how to ride without all those ''' extra '' parts on them !..lol

• Haha 3

Ha! I thought I was up town when I got that 250a.... after driving it for a few years then updating to one of those ^^^ tanks even better, THEN came the 300... a caddy compared to the other two....these are atvs NOT luxury cars..... Lol!... prov I still like ya... but ff might ride you about this.. being we ride him about canned hams.. too funny! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
Added gas to the fire...
  • Haha 2

I rode a 1985 200M for 19 years. Then I had an '04 Rancher for 10 years that I put 9500 miles on. This one I have 5,500 miles on. I'll be 64 years old in another week. I'm betting there are very few members here that have rode as much, far, hard or done as much work and hauling with a wheeler. I also have arthritis, degenerative discs and PPPD(look it up). I like and need those features and wouldn't go back. BTW- my grip heaters don't get turned on until it's in the 30's. Also I wasn't going to lose a week of hunting for repairs.

You guys are my friends so you are welcome to keep ripping on me 😉😁

• Like 3

Agreed! Construction wipes out the body,  I sure havent been in accident like Shade but the last 35 years of crawling up and down ladders carrying sheathing, siding, building materialsin general, hasn't been so good on the body.  I'll admit it I'm a wuss, I too like the  independent suspension,  PS,  and.......really enjoy the no shifting and engine braking of our  machines. They're still going Shade!!!😁 Ain't been pulled out yet, will let you know when I do. So might as well ride in comfort, body is worn out. The one I really respect is Derf, not sure what he's riding but at 83, he's a stud. Rode over 60 miles a week or so ago in snow. Pretty cool, hope I'm able to keep going for a long a I can. 

• Like 2

My Rancher 420 rides like a Cadillac compared to my 85 Big Red 250. I'm 62  Would be nice to have power steering and all those other goodies but the prices for new bikes I'll keep riding a basic bike.

• Like 2

Ff.... I hear you on Derf... talk about a tough man..... heck of a amateur radio operator / educator too! I think he's got a 450es ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™

11 hours ago, PROV said:

I rode a 1985 200M for 19 years. Then I had an '04 Rancher for 10 years that I put 9500 miles on. This one I have 5,500 miles on. I'll be 64 years old in another week. I'm betting there are very few members here that have rode as much, far, hard or done as much work and hauling with a wheeler. I also have arthritis, degenerative discs and PPPD(look it up). I like and need those features and wouldn't go back. BTW- my grip heaters don't get turned on until it's in the 30's. Also I wasn't going to lose a week of hunting for repairs.

You guys are my friends so you are welcome to keep ripping on me 😉😁

Glad you took my ribbing the way it was intended.

I'm riding my SRA, non power steering Foreman tomorrow with the guys.  I'll come on here and talk about how tough I am while I'm popping ibuprofen for the next week to make the pain stop LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, PROV said:

IMG_20231010_212828.jpg

What's that pretty blued steel and checkered walnut thing your dog is guarding?

22 minutes ago, PROV said:

20 gauge double 

Boy was I wrong , I was guessing a Benelli  over and under 20 ga 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Boy was I wrong , I was guessing a Benelli  over and under 20 ga 

It is an over/under but it's a Yildiz. Bought it at Academy Sports when I was in the Nashville area some years ago. Was made by a Turkish gunmaker for them. Very good gun for a very reasonable price. Google it and you'll see a lot of good reviews. Nice and light, has ejectors that I like for hunting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PROV said:

20 gauge double 

sweet.  What brand?  I have one of the 12 ga lightweight Walmart Tristars made in Turkey and love that thing.  Nice figured Walnut too.  Nothing I've held or shot fits me better.

14 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

sweet.  What brand?  I have one of the 12 ga lightweight Walmart Tristars made in Turkey and love that thing.  Nice figured Walnut too.  Nothing I've held or shot fits me better.

Yildiz 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 9:20 AM, PROV said:

Yildiz 

Who knows what company made mine.  I do have a Sarsilmaz CZ-75 clone and I'm very impressed with it.  The Turks generally make some pretty reliable firearms.

When we took or CCW class the instructor never heard of the CZ-75 let alone any of the many clones.  I shoot the Tanfoglio Witness in 9mm and my wive shoots the slightly smaller Sar.  Guess who got first and second at the range?

• Haha 1

Got my buddy's Rincon back up and running yesterday. 

He said it quit shifting in auto mode, but still worked in ESP, and then he noticed the 4wd was no longer pulling.

As I suspected, the front driveshaft splines were GONE.  That threw off the speed sensors which control the auto shifting, so that was the source of both of his issues.

Also noticed his front brakes were spongy and ordered him brake pads.  Pretty sure the caliper pistons were maxxed out LOL

• Like 3

Gotta say, I wish one of you guys... ie Jeep, lived in my neck of the woods.. would love to be able to bring my rigs into you for repair and enjoy a visit while I hang over your shoulder and learn more in the process.

that said, I likely still wouldn't get much visit time in, as my old 300 just keeps starting and running

granted, I'm not asking it to do much, no steep hills, no day-long rides.

just some fun spin on my trails and some tree clearing help.

We have a couple shops in the area...always busy and pricey, so I try to take care of the basics myself..that includes my golf cart.

maybe when I grow up and retire, I'll have more time to tinker.

About to turn 67 in a month, plan on one more year at the desk if they don't put me out to pasture sooner.

anyway...the 300, other than slow leak on the front tires, continues to crank n go whenever I ask it to.

front tire on the 79 CT90 had a worsening slow leak but green slime 2 weeks ago seems to be holding now.

I like to go out to the garage and just kick it over when I have the urge to sputter around... I hate that feeling of having to do something to it before I can ride it.

I swear if they made solid rubber never flat tires for that bike I'd be interested.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bighanded said:

Gotta say, I wish one of you guys... ie Jeep, lived in my neck of the woods.. would love to be able to bring my rigs into you for repair and enjoy a visit while I hang over your shoulder and learn more in the process.

that said, I likely still wouldn't get much visit time in, as my old 300 just keeps starting and running

granted, I'm not asking it to do much, no steep hills, no day-long rides.

just some fun spin on my trails and some tree clearing help.

We have a couple shops in the area...always busy and pricey, so I try to take care of the basics myself..that includes my golf cart.

maybe when I grow up and retire, I'll have more time to tinker.

About to turn 67 in a month, plan on one more year at the desk if they don't put me out to pasture sooner.

anyway...the 300, other than slow leak on the front tires, continues to crank n go whenever I ask it to.

front tire on the 79 CT90 had a worsening slow leak but green slime 2 weeks ago seems to be holding now.

I like to go out to the garage and just kick it over when I have the urge to sputter around... I hate that feeling of having to do something to it before I can ride it.

I swear if they made solid rubber never flat tires for that bike I'd be interested.

Hose those tires down with water and Dawn from a spray bottle.  Bubbles will tell you where the leak is.

If around the beads, if you break the beads down, wipe them clean, and smear grease on the bead on the rim, they'll usually stop leaking.  Just had to do that on one of my trailer tires.

And I don't get much wrench time these days.  Wife and kid take up most of my time, and kid isn't old enough to "help" yet.  Maybe when she gets a little older.

That said, yesterday the wife was napping, and the little one wanted to go visit my parents, so I got a couple of hours to get this Rincon back together.  It's been sitting in my yard since March, so not like I got to it right away LOL

• Like 3

yep...this ol bike is running tube tires.  I have fresh good quality tread and I'm careful not to cut the tube stem when I'm replacing it, etc.

just seems like this bike finds stuff. (grin)

simple things like carb swap, brakes, electrical, etc...I'm fine grabbing a wrench.

anything more involved and I just lack the experience I guess.

• Like 1

Getting the ole girl ready for spring today. WOW has Amsoil 0w40 ever gone up!!! $30 a liter!! 

She’s getting all new fluids & a filter, new plug, clean air filter (not that it really needs it, tighten up (or replace) swing arm bearings, pull the racks (leaving them off for repaint when it’s warmer out) & polish plastics, double check valves….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

& polish plastics,

What do you use to polish your plastics? Do you use a buffer wheel on them?

53 minutes ago, retro said:

What do you use to polish your plastics? Do you use a buffer wheel on them?

Yes, I use the Novus Plastic Polish kit that @jeepwm69 recommend years ago. I bought a power polisher as well to help make it the best I can...

I never got to that as I had garage door open working on mine when the neighbour came over & asked if I could get his working better... Oh man... it was parked years ago in his shed. 2001 350 4x4. Gas just pouring out from overflow, gas smells brutal.. I've got his carb tore apart in Pinesol overnite, oil changed (smelled just as bad as the gas!) new filter, new plug, & have to still do front & rear diffs, & go over the bike better to check wheel bearings ect... she was rode hard & put away wet!

• Thanks 1