Jump to content
toodeep

Favorite tires

Recommended Posts

What's everyone's favorite tire to use and terrains it's used in? I run mudbugs on one machine and for a mixture of terrain but more on the muddy side they have been one of my favorites. I also have Bearclaw HTR on the sxs and one rancher and they do good also. I was kind of surprised how good they do in the mud/sand/snow. I've used many different tires over the years and those 2 are my favorite ones. The stock trackers on the 400 foreman was one of my favorite stock tires. I ride down the road (gravel and paved), hard pack trails, sand, mud, snow, ice, swamp and pretty much everything. My machines have different uses so they all have different tires on them but some do double duty so they need to do everything as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Well I still plan to get new tires for my rancher 420,when if I get caught up on some bills.Looking at some P341's,Zillas,Mudbugs Anclas and Swamp Fox.if I decide to go with 25's.Still not sure yet if I should stay with 24's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

you just haddddddddddd to start a tire thread huh ?..lol. I run mudlite AT's, 6-ply rating, I dont do mud ( least not 4 ft deep ! ), I ride on gravel, sand, dirt, snow, just normal rides, I love them for my style of riding. I wont complain on who runs what , to each their own, I just know what works for me :-).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have a mix of tires , 29.5 , 27 ,and 26 Outlaws and 2's  , 27 SwampLites , 26 Mudzillas on 4wds  and  26 Dirt Devils , and 25 MudLites on the 2wds , I like Outlaws 2's  the best , ride in clay , sand , black humus and water ---- 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

For all around use it's hard to beat Mud Bugs. Good Trail/Mud tire mix. For pure mud tires I like to run Outlaws, ran a few sets now and like them a lot. For just trails I'd probably go with Pitbull Growlers, I have yet to own a set but I've got a lot of good feedback on them from those who do, they are just so expensive up here it's hard to justify. 

 

I've ran a lot of different tires over the years, I try not to buy too much of one tire, I like to try new things. Mud Bugs though I've had 25", 26", 27" and 28" sets, all were/are great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, shadetree said:

you just haddddddddddd to start a tire thread huh ?..lol. I run mudlite AT's, 6-ply rating, I dont do mud ( least not 4 ft deep ! ), I ride on gravel, sand, dirt, snow, just normal rides, I love them for my style of riding. I wont complain on who runs what , to each their own, I just know what works for me :-).

 

It was either your favorite type or what size can my stock rancher handle.. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have been running Zillas for a couple of years. I run hard pack gravel roads, river beds, trails with muskeg, hydrolines, cutlines & cutblocks. So I run a bunch of different terrain, & must say I've never encountered (yet) all the reviews that say they puncture easy or wear really fast... They have been holding up really well. I try to keep out of the mud as much as possible as I'm always with my Camper when I'm out riding so a long ways away from a hose to clean it off....

Edited by Wheeler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I buy cheap general purpose tires. As long as they are a decent name brand, measure true to advertised height, clean out decent in shallow red clay mud and don't puncture easy I'll look at 'em. I ride in all sorts of terrain, some pretty steep and irregular, lots of woods riding where no trails exist, lots of sharp rocks in places and a bit of hard-pack clay/sand/gravel roads. I've tried a few cheap brands over he years, some I hated (Mudlites) some I liked (Dirt Devils). The Mudlites were garbage on my 450 Foreman, stock tires were just as good or better and lasted longer. Since my first experience with Dirt Devils was good those are what I've been shopping for most often. They're cheap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, retro said:

I buy cheap general purpose tires. As long as they are a decent name brand, measure true to advertised height, clean out decent in shallow red clay mud and don't puncture easy I'll look at 'em. I ride in all sorts of terrain, some pretty steep and irregular, lots of woods riding where no trails exist, lots of sharp rocks in places and a bit of hard-pack clay/sand/gravel roads. I've tried a few cheap brands over he years, some I hated (Mudlites) some I liked (Dirt Devils). The Mudlites were garbage on my 450 Foreman, stock tires were just as good or better and lasted longer. Since my first experience with Dirt Devils was good those are what I've been shopping for most often. They're cheap!

my mudlite AT's seem to do great on my trx450fm, maybe cuz where I ride ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, shadetree said:

my mudlite AT's seem to do great on my trx450fm, maybe cuz where I ride ?.

 

How many miles do you have on them though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I can't estimate milage cause I have no speedo's , but going by years , I'd say the Dirt Devils and Mudzillas are the two longest lasting tires in my fleet , then the Swamplites , Outlaws are my favorite but with so much air space between threads they do wear fast , but that them air gaps is  what makes them pull , got to pay to play -----  the Mudlites wear out faster than any of them , soft rubber and big air gaps , but they do ok on the 2wd , they don't get clogged up with clay ------- if I remember right , then name of the tool used to measure rubber's hardness is a du'ra'meter , you don't need one with the Mudlites your finger can fell the difference  

 

On a funny note , I come in possession of a set of stock tires off a project I bought , they were Duro something and like new , had them on a 2wd 300 , if you stopped in the mud , the bike  would not take off again with you sitting on the seat  , the tires would just spin in place , they clogged up so bad with clay and wouldn't throw it  , you had to get off the bike , stand on the side holding the handle bars , rev it up and get the bike  moving and then jump on and don't let off the throttle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

 

How many miles do you have on them though? 

couple 100 on the '03, about 500-600 on my '89 trx350d.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
53 minutes ago, shadetree said:

couple 100 on the '03, about 500-600 on my '89 trx350d.

 

So they are still new then lol. Honda recommends oil changes every 600 miles, if your having to change tires at the same interval you might want to look at something else. Even the worst aftermarket tires should last a few thousand miles I would think.

Mud Lite AT’s don’t have much lug to start with (maybe 3/4”?) and they don’t seem to suffer from the same flaw as the XL’s do. The XL’s I’ve found will wear the wide part of the V lug first, then tear off the tips, the tire basically tears itself apart with quite a bit of lug remaining. But the AT’s will wear bald before they do that.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I can't estimate milage cause I have no speedo's , but going by years , I'd say the Dirt Devils and Mudzillas are the two longest lasting tires in my fleet , then the Swamplites , Outlaws are my favorite but with so much air space between threads they do wear fast , but that them air gaps is  what makes them pull , got to pay to play -----  the Mudlites wear out faster than any of them , soft rubber and big air gaps , but they do ok on the 2wd , they don't get clogged up with clay ------- if I remember right , then name of the tool used to measure rubber's hardness is a du'ra'meter , you don't need one with the Mudlites your finger can fell the difference  

 

On a funny note , I come in possession of a set of stock tires off a project I bought , they were Duro something and like new , had them on a 2wd 300 , if you stopped in the mud , the bike  would not take off again with you sitting on the seat  , the tires would just spin in place , they clogged up so bad with clay and wouldn't throw it  , you had to get off the bike , stand on the side holding the handle bars , rev it up and get the bike  moving and then jump on and don't let off the throttle 

 

At least with the Outlaws your starting off with 1.5” of lug so it takes awhile to wear them out lol. I know with the last set of 31’s I ran they had about 2400km (1500 miles) on them when I sold them, they were still 75% or better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

600 miles oil change , never really thought at this till today , but it can take an hour for me to go 1 mile thru the swamp , on a average ride , we might go 10 miles and take 3 hours , I change my oil every 3 or 4 trips on my personal rides , the other bikes longer , so I am changing the oil every 30-40 miles , maybe 10-12 hours , that is wild when I think about it , oil is cheap , I want it to stay clean 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I’ve run quite a few. Like the Mudbugs the best. They pull well, are light, and are smooth riding.

 

i currently have Bugs on 3 bikes (28’s on a 500, 27’s on another 500, and 26’s on the wife’s Rancher AT).

 

Have some 29.5 outlaws I’m going to run on a 300. That’s next on the list, going to stretch rear and use a 54% from SamUK.

 

Daughter’s 350 Rancher had 26” Vampires on the front, Swamper blems on the rear. Seem to pull well, but haven’t run them much yet.

 

Other daughter’s 300 has 26”  Mudlite XL’s on it, and now I’m a bit worried about them after what Mac said.

 

Have 27” Executioners on another 500. They wear like iron but are heavy and tend to dig more than the Bugs. Not bad but the Bugs are much better for the same price.

 

i’ve gotten rid of Mudweisers, Swamp Lites, regular Mudlites, 589’s, 489’s, and Anclas. 

 

Nothing pulls like an Outlaw, but the Mudbugs are cheaper, ride a LOT better, so other than the 300 Mud Toy I’ll be buying Bugs going forward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, shadetree said:

my mudlite AT's seem to do great on my trx450fm, maybe cuz where I ride ?

 

Probably not very rugged terrain there? Mine didn't last very long in the tough stuff I ride on. The rears held up a little bit better than the fronts, but still wore too fast to suit me... the ride was cushy soft I remember liking that.... but one front ended up with three plugs in it and the other front had one plug in it when I finally dumped them. Never again... Dirt Devils are cheaper than Mudlites too. If I were in mud all the time the Dirt Devils wouldn't work though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

600 miles oil change , never really thought at this till today , but it can take an hour for me to go 1 mile thru the swamp , on a average ride , we might go 10 miles and take 3 hours , I change my oil every 3 or 4 trips on my personal rides , the other bikes longer , so I am changing the oil every 30-40 miles , maybe 10-12 hours , that is wild when I think about it , oil is cheap , I want it to stay clean 

 

That’s why they recommend a mile interval AND and hour interval whatever comes first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

As a stock replacement I would always buy bearclaws. For general and intended ATV use they do the job perfectly. 

 

For mud.... The options are endless aren't they really. I had mega mayhem's which were fantastic and didn't really float to bad. I think if I ever build another mud bike I'll just fit BKT Agri tyres. They work best on trucks and it seems that way on ATV'S too. The price is also far cheaper! 🙂

 

Id have to mention mud lites too, they work well in most conditions you'd usually encounter in general ATV use, plus some. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Ill be that guy, but for the riding I do the Big Horns are great over 7000 Miles on them and could probably go another 7-10k 

 

General trail / technical riding/ not much mud but ill go thru it not around haha. I will probably switch it up next go around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, balljoints said:

Ill be that guy, but for the riding I do the Big Horns are great over 7000 Miles on them and could probably go another 7-10k 

 

General trail / technical riding/ not much mud but ill go thru it not around haha. I will probably switch it up next go around.

 

I liked the BH Originals they were pretty good. The 2.0's kind of suck. It's embarrassing what they'll get stuck in. They do ride really nice though, so there is that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I found the big horns to be a very hard compound rubber. Don't seem to mould around the terrain bit sit on top and skip, hop & bounce, especially on loose, dry, gravel type terrain.

I did however find them very puncture resistant.

 

That being said.. Mega Mayhem's are very similar on dry, loose terrain. Rubber compound is to hard, they don't mould over the terrain at all. 

They also suffer badly from cuts to the leading edge of the lugs on hard, dry surfaces.

 

How do outlaws fair on hard, loose ground guys? Do they get cut lugs also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I run mudlite AT's


 

Same here, i don't do deep mud ether,(back at the shop we call that job security)  mine do more then i need, and i learned long ago, avoid tire threads lol!, so i tend to sit back and watch the fireworks. (Toss in every once in a while) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

I have titan 589's on mine now about 12 yrs LOL
 and they have been pretty bullet proof, to sharp rocks, stumps,coal piles, ash piles, mud , snow pavement gravel roads, you name it they petty much see it, 

I don;t deep mud ride, but have many times been in deep mud by accident , in swamps that seemed shallow or solid and then got deep fast

 never not had tires not self clean to push me thru, but I have run out of ground clearance a few times and got stuck that way

 several thousand miles on tires and still at about 50% tread, so cannot ask for more from a tire for me and the use I do with my atv!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...