Melatv

Weather

Personally I believe in Big Foot , they call them swamp apes down here , never seen one in person , but hear and smelt them , LOL 

Well at least the deer was dinner for whoever ate it.Not just lay there and rot.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 8:16 AM, Fishfiles said:

Personally I believe in Big Foot , they call them swamp apes down here , never seen one in person , but hear and smelt them , LOL 

i never know if you are serious. i been hunting. Got to think about bears anymore. I once smelled something in the woods,, it were of a dog smell, cept different, yotes.

i was by myself. i moved out of the woods right fast.. was dark at the time

Edited by LedFTed
just had too

'T'ed, I was about 20 so it must have been 1977 , went hunting in Honey Island Swamp , we were way up in there , we knew the spot and had killed deer and hogs there before , it was a high ridge of oak trees surrounded by swamp , 4 of us spread out about 100 yards apart at 4:30 in the morning and walked into the woods from the bayou , as I walked I heard some twigs break ahead of me , I spotted and listen , the sound of something came towards me , it was so dark that you could not see 3 feet in front of you , and that is when I heard this cross between a growl of a large cat and the roar of an ape , it was so close and so loud  that I could feel the vibrations on my body  , there was a bad smell in the air , the hair is up on my arms just thinking about it now , I backed against a tree with a Browning A-5 3 inch magnum with 000 buck shot pointed in front of me , I thought of turning and running , I screamed at what ever it was at the top of my voice and can't repeat what it was I said here and now ,  so I  just stood there against the tree  till light and walked out backwards as I was afraid to put my back to what ever it was , the weird thing is I never heard a sound after that , never heard what ever it was walking away  and I have never been to that spot since  

• Like 4

We had pretty heavy fog the last couple days. Makes it a pain for driving (people don't know how to manually turn their lights on anymore) but the trees look pretty. 

20200130_090329.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, toodeep said:

We had pretty heavy fog the last couple days. Makes it a pain for driving (people don't know how to manually turn their lights on anymore) but the trees look pretty. 

20200130_090329.jpg

That sure is pretty to see when the sun rises.Brings back memories when I lived in Kansas

Toodeep, them white trees sure are pretty --------- it is amazing we are covered in pollen right now , fluorescent green stuff is every where 

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:
2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Toodeep, them white trees sure are pretty --------- it is amazing we are covered in pollen right now , fluorescent green stuff is every where 

And all that pollen has me sneezing up a storm lol

• Like 1

you not kidding about the sneezing   ----  my black truck is cover green 

Nothing like winter scenery, when our mountains get covered they are absolutely beautiful from the valley floor, this is one of the ranges that surrounds the valley I live in. They are called the Bridger Mountains named after Jim Bridger, he was a Mountain Man, trapper and Wilderness guide through our area.  The peak that is circled in black is Sacajawea Peak the highest point in the Bridger range, very top is 9,665 feet, my brother in-law and I hiked it a couple years ago in the middle of an ATV ride I took him on. Just to the right of my right leg is an almost vertical drop of 2,000 feet down. Wind was blowing about 60 mph that day. was awesome to see the valley from that point of view. Unfortunately we haven't had much for weather so far this year, been unseasonably warm. Normally single digits and below zero, we've been in the 40's and above, had 58 one day last week. have slept with windows open all week only down to 30 or so at night, weird.

20150114_165823.jpg

DSC_0953.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0927.JPG

20160918_091259.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 2

That's some gorgeous country Freedomflyer.  Around here it's so flat you can watch your dog run away for 3 days.

• Like 1

snow flurries this morning... sunday forecast in the low 60s and up to 70 monday....have had my boat in the shop for a new motor (stern drive) and he's bout ready to test ride with me..so I'm grateful for a warm day...welcome to the carolinas..white stuff falling in the morning..short shirtsleeves for the drive home...and kicking up a wake by the weekend.

gonna be mid-60f monday. i aint complaining bout that. just aint Feb weather, all the rain that coulda been snow.

does cut down on winter hay. only got two mares, an they will eat anything. well, near anything. cleared the fenceline of poison oak, or

was it ivy?, i don't remember.

We had rain a couple of days this week past , at least it was warm in the 60s , yesterday was windy and I worked on the water  -----  it was so rough we had to move the barge into the jettied boat launch to make some lifts --- this weekend is suppose to be excellent , dry , warm weather at 67 degrees 

We have a nice weekend, partially sunny today in the 30s and forecasted highs in the low to mid 40s tomorrow. But the upper level high pressure ridge over northern Canada that has persisted for the last 10 days is decaying and moving out east. Come midweek another stationary mid-upper level ridge (the 4th one this winter, 3rd major one) will set up over the eastern Pacific/Alaska area and arctic air will once again be flowing down into the US, persisting through at least mid-February, but more than likely be bitter cold here through the 3rd week. There'll be enough winter remaining following February for a 5th northeastern Pacific ridge to set up so March could be cold and snowy too... hopefully that don't happen though. We'd be dealing with a pretty deep snowpack by then.

The split, warm Pacific air flows these last 10 days was really nice. The entire month of January was pretty mellow in fact. Through the entire month of January I only burned through 1.8 face cords of firewood. It looks like February may require a bit more than 2 face cords of firewood though, which should catch my winter wood consumption back up to the usual running average.

Our snowfall thus far has been running about average, got plenty for the sledding tourists. No ice on Lake Superior yet though... so no ice fishing so far but that little inconvenience will disappear this month. With cold arctic air approaching this week February is setting up to be a big lake-effect snow producing month. Maybe even see a blizzard or two here... or three?

The breeding season for wolves is ending and they were having their annual get-together meetings these last two days. Hopefully the cold arctic air and lake-effect snows coming this month will pinch down their range and they'll disappear until snowmelt. They're a nuisance.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

We had rain a couple of days this week past , at least it was warm in the 60s , yesterday was windy and I worked on the water  -----  it was so rough we had to move the barge into the jettied boat launch to make some lifts --- this weekend is suppose to be excellent , dry , warm weather at 67 degrees 

Today has been nice,but windy.Forecast looks ok sunday-tuesday,looks like rain chances increase mid  week.Sure can't complain though its been a mild winter up to this point.

Edited by riverc
  • Like 2

Well, the abrupt pattern change in the local forecast models didn't make any sense to me, so I went looking for a Rossby wave in the NW Pacific, or an overactive MJO and found neither.

mjo-summary.png

So I looked at the AO & NAO current status and can see that the local models had it all wrong. Its gonna stay warm... we will see a brief shot of cold air dropping in from NW Ontario Tuesday night & Wednesday behind a weak trough, but then it will warm right back up and remain mild all through the next week and possibly a bit longer. The pattern will eventually change due to upper level ridging over the Gulf of Alaska like they predict,  but not until about 10 days out from today.

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

So the 3rd week of February looks to become a bitter cold one, probably see our lowest temps of the winter so far...  but we will still live on easy street for the next couple weeks. :-)

• Like 1

We took a drive yesterday to go look at another 2 up machine. Went to the city of Great falls about 180 miles north of us, had a horrendous cross/tail wind on the way up there. Knew what that meant for the trip back. Got to Great Falls and wind was blowing so hard it uprooted. blew some trees over onto power lines and knocked a bunch of lights out so getting to this guys house to look at the machine was a nightmare.  Looked at the machine and was disappointed,  it had been stored outside since new under a cover too small. They had two dogs who had been using the tires as a hydrant. Only had 532 miles on it but looked like it had been rode hard and put away wet so to speak. Swampy type grass hanging from the frame and wrapped around wheel hubs. Pulled the air filter it was filthy, another bad sign, to me anyway. Popped the plastic gauge cluster off to check the coolant reservoir,  couldn't see a drop of coolant in the reservoir. Checked the oil it looked clean, he said he had it changed last spring but hadn't ridden it all of last summer. Asked if the differentials had been changed he said no but they had been checked. Can Am recommends all fluids be changed in the first 10-20 hrs, then every 100 hrs after that, on our trails that would be about 150 to 200 miles for the first fluid change. He only changed the oil and that was at 150 hrs.  We decided to pass. All of that to say it was a windy miserable trip home with a cross headwind blowing my crew cab Duramax all over the road. When we got home we were looking at the news and they said that Great Falls head sustained winds of a 102 miles an hour. If we'd been on the coast somewhere that would have been a hurricane LOL!  By 9 o'clock last night there wasn't a stitch of wind  Outside, and we woke up To it snowing this morning with snow falling straight down. Finally, glad to see some moisture on the ground it is a little bit of wet snow so grateful for that as well  We need the moisture. Got the 4 Wheeler out and did a quick plow job of the driveway and up-and-down our street, Old guy on the corner  Was glad to see me as hes got a lot of sidewalk In front of his house and down the side plus he owns the next lot down so try to keep him cleaned up.

20200202_083345.jpg

20200202_083334.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

We"ve about 4" or so, still snowing👍, boy do we need the moisture. Glad I have inside work.

you can have the rain i will get. if you trade me one of your mountains.