Melatv

Weather

I hear " you guys "  up in the Pacific North West  talk about " No See'ems " , is that what I might call a gnat ? ----You'll got red bugs , sometimes called chitters , them be bad !!! 

well dang..learned something today...so a glycine-rich protein works like antifreeze to allow them to survive and function in the freeze....wow!!

• Haha 1

Weather has been mild this winter. Today it got to 30 today after a half inch of snow late yesterday. Was 17 when I got up this am. Very little snow this winter, haven't had to push any. Last winter pushed at least 6 times. Noticed the daffodils peeking up thru the light snow on the east side of the house today, a little early, spring is about 4-5 weeks away. 

I think your thinking of chiggers, fish.... And your right!! nasty little agrivating pest, I've heard rubbing your clothing with a dryer fabric softener  sheet , like downy or bounce.... With keep those, and ticks off...  I do that when i remember to, seems to work good... 

• Like 1

Chiggers !! I was close , LOL ----  we call them red bugs and they will light you up 

21 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Chiggers !! I was close , LOL ----  we call them red bugs and they will light you up 

pythons, chiggers, tick's, mosquitoes,

Oh my!!

Edited by LedFTed

Just sayin...clear blue skies...mid 50s...this past sunday afternoon...seemed like a good day to do the final shakedown of the new engine

image.png

• Like 2

We had some rain today,not much.If forecast is correct we should dry out for a few days,and it will be cool.

On 2/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, TBRider said:

A high alcohol diet works too....lol

no it dont

On 2/20/2020 at 2:19 PM, Bighanded said:

well dang..learned something today...so a glycine-rich protein works like antifreeze to allow them to survive and function in the freeze....wow!!

can i get some of that glycine-rich protein?

Edited by LedFTed
spelling

cold front knocking in soon. when it aint too wet, it's cold. Oh well!

My buddies all wanted to ride this weekend.  Supposed to be sunny and 50's Saturday. 

Problem is, I have a very limited number of screw-off days, and I don't want to use one on a day when it will only be in the 50's with the river flooding all the low areas where we ride. 

Last time we rode when the water was up my rig was made into a meme.

• Haha 1

What's the name of  " fear of water " , hydro-phobia or something like that , LOL ^ hehehehe

For me I dont think it would be fear of water,  I think it would be the fear that my differentials would look like those pictures shade posted in his Rebuild thread. LOL.

We still have 2' of snow here. No riding anywhere for awhile except on the lakes. Then the minute the snow leaves they close all of my territory until about mid-May to limit forest damage.

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

What's the name of  " fear of water " , hydro-phobia or something like that , LOL ^ hehehehe

Well I have the only snorkel, so when the water's up I get "You go first and see how deep it is"

When it's a current levels, I KNOW we can't get to a lot of places we normally go, snorkel or no snorkel, so I'd rather wait and ride later in the spring.

So  , a hypo-phobic  guanine pig  , might  be the terminology ...... 

• Haha 1

Well, ol man winter isn't done with the south yet ..... a low of 26 and rain .... forecasted for Wednesday , 26, and rain could be bad, i recall back years ago when we had a major ONE day  ice storm..... You can still  see a lot broken down trees, and even (hangers) widow makers.. Hope there forcast is wrong..

people around here go into full panic mode.... Last time .... There wasn't a chainsaw, or gen set to be located in columbia ... And Stores were picked clean....emergency services .... Limited to traveling via national guard k-5 chevy blazers. .... Only in life, or death situation call. 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Well, ol man winter isn't done with the south yet ..... a low of 26 and rain .... forecasted for Wednesday , 26, and rain could be bad, i recall back years ago when we had a major ONE day  ice storm..... You can still  see a lot broken down trees, and even (hangers) widow makers.. Hope there forcast is wrong..

people around here go into full panic mode.... Last time .... There wasn't a chainsaw, or gen set to be located in columbia ... And Stores were picked clean....emergency services .... Limited to traveling via national guard k-5 chevy blazers. .... Only in life, or death situation call. 

I'll take a Blizzard with 2' of snow.Than a ice storm with 1" or more of ice

Got that right ^^^^ It was 3/4-1 ice here .... I remeber standing out, and listening to trees come down, limbs snaping off..... I went out with my chainsaw (yes that same o39 i use to this day) and did as much damage as i could..... Our main concern was my grandfather.... He was breathing with an oxygen machine.... And we had to get a few tanks...Cooking beef stew over a fireplace..... I learned about living that night.... 

Just imagine if the new generation had a JUST A SMALL taste ......if you didn't have a tractor, studded tires , chains, or an atv, you were stuck.....

i'll never forget the sound a plow truck makes chipping away on an ice covered blacktop.

Sounds like you boys are getting some weird weather, it's supposed to be in the 50's by the end of the week,totally weird for us this time of year.  My guess is we will have some huge amounts of heavy wet snow in March and a lot of rain in April, which will mean more heavy snow pack in the mountains. we don't get many Ice storms up here, on a rare occasion. Not only the new generation but all the yuppies that are moving into our state working out of their homes with the internet.  When that crashes there is going to be a lot of helpless people, not a lot of folks know how to survive or take care of themselves.

unseasonably warm, for this time of year. wet too. snow expected or something tomorrow night, back to winter for a few days