Melatv

Weather

toodeep, Yeah, I even laugh at the fact we call them rivers,   What's cool is, I do live about 20 miles or so from the head waters of where the Missouri River starts.  Our Jefferson "River", Madison "River", and Gallatin "River" all come together just North of a little town called Three Forks, hence the name of the town. Is pretty cool, during the spring thaw there is a lot of water flowing down out of the mountains in these 3 "Large creeks" (LOL) and it actually has flooded a time or two at the convergence of these three "Rivers". But the fact that it starts here 25 miles away and flows through eastern Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Missouri then into the Mississippi is pretty amazing. The one River called the Gallatin River flows down out of the Gallatin Canyon, in the middle of the River is a huge rock called House Rock that sticks out of the water over 20' during regular summer flowing.  During the spring thaw water completely covers and flows over the top of the rock. Like I said these river "creek" beds are pretty deep and not a lot of flooding that goes on.  Pretty cool that the Canyon Highway follows the river all the way down the canyon and out into the Gallatin Valley so when the nut job kayaker's are riding the rapids you can pull over and watch them risk their lives. Boneheads!

Some of my best fishing trips were right before a storm.  Fish from what I have been told can feel changes in barometric pressure. A major change triggers them to going on a eating binge 

• Like 1

Plus one ^^ i agree barometric pressure changes do make a difference

we had just a dusting lastnight .... Sure is a nice change to see the white stuff.... And no more flooding or severe weather ... 29 and holding .... The forcast is a temperature climb to the 50 tomorrow 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Here's what I'm using today, we had 4-5" of snow, no big deal....

Plows.jpg

Plow 2.jpg

• Like 5

Man, there are so many things you guys  have to deal with down there.😕. Those types of things just don't cross my mind.  I  guess we all have our worries in the areas we live in( at least where I kive) but it seems to me that it is always more life threatening on other areas of the country than it is here. We have cold weather and blizzards, bad roads, forest fires. Fires are probably the most concerning and scary for me but even then our city would not be in danger of burning up. There are areas or state that do flood , but even then it's not on my radar because we don't have a lot of flooding here. Once in a whle The rivers get high in new flood banks Folks that live by them Are in trouble. But what we call a river here is no more than a mere Creek to you folks.  I don't think I could handle the stress of having to worry about  Flooding every year, And then all the creepy crawlies it come out when that happens. Yuck .Snowing here today finally, glad to see some of the white stuff coming as we need the snowpack in the mountains. Winter weather watch over the next couple of days so hopefully will get dumped on. Don't mind the  Snow, makes my wife nervous when we have to travel though. A balmy 30゚ or so

Weather didnt amount to what they said as usual, called for 15" I think we got 6". 10" out at the job I'm working at, now they are issuing avalanche warnings due to unstable snow pack.

Avalanche , now that sounds like safe fun !!!!  At least I don't have to worry about hyper-thermia or frost bite , just heat stroke and de-hydration , seems no matter where you live there is something that can get you , be it animal , nature or humans , LOL 

Wilson , I got to admit , snow is pretty to look at , the pics are beautiful ,  but pics of it is enough for me , I get cold just looking at the pics 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks..... I'd rather have the soil freeze .... But if it's gonna snow at least snow deep enough to have some riding fun .... This little bit just melted fast and made the soil fall apart ... Now forest fires would big a BIG concern for me .... We're limited to what time of the year we can burn OPEN ..... Outside... Makes no defrence what the weather is ... I tend to sneak burn small limb brush piles (left overs from harvesting BIG fire wood) in the rain... But if it's on restricted times (rain or not) .... I could still get nailed With a fine.... It's those idiots who burn only on sunny wind blowing days, that cause that kind of restriction .... Being an ex fire fighter... I know what I'm doing.... I've talked to my old fire chief ... , he always says go for it.... ... Heck! I've even had them called out for the smoke my furness emits ... LoL

there's just too many idiots out there for my likes

Edited by _Wilson_™

Wow , on the burn ban , I can burn year round here , the only restriction is 15 ft off the property line and or any structures , they use to go by my neighbors house all the time , the other neighbor would call in on him , they only came here one time , one New Years I built a BIG fire at the end of the dead end street , they came out , I don't know if someone called or they were just passing by , the fire was on the road , they didn't like that too much , but didn't make me put it out 

Well woke up to a blizzard this morning had to head off to work drove in it for about 20 miles then it quit, roads sucked

20200208_064837.jpg

20200208_065731.jpg

• Like 2

Our blizzards feature high winds 40 mph+, sub-zero temps, -55 F windchill factors, snowfall rates of 3+ inches per hour and require that ya have your snowshoes strapped on before ya step off of the porch, just as you're thinking twice about walking out to the village to go to the post office that day, cause ya don't know whether you'll get a better set of conditions that week or not. 🙂

When folks ask me where I'm from up town I tell 'em I live on 13 blizzards road out yonder.

• Like 3

I wish I had me some of them " Blizzards ",  might have to stop by Dairy Queen today and get me one , LOL 

Pic : From yesterday , today is suppose to be nicer !!!! 

WXorcXvSRiy1MAYevC011g.jpg

• Like 1

I'm like fish the only Blizzard I want is from Dairy Queen lol.

• Like 3

LOL! retro, I know exactly what your talking about. Although yesterday wasn't quite like that I probably shouldn't have been out in it. Extremely low visibility once I got on the interstate,  semi's were

crawling, should of stated Blizzard like conditions. Our blizzards are pretty treacherous as well but probably pale in comparison with you having the lake effect weather. 

I like blizzards too we just have to eat them in the winter LOL.

• Like 2

Yah, it was tough, I almost missed my exit while doing 30 mph. There were a lot of ditch parties I passed too. One suv was on its roof. 

• Like 1

Crazy stuff Ruby we only got an inch maybe two up my way.....

We had some really weird weather today. Woke up it was around 20ish degrees. Went up to about 35 by around noon. Dropped back down to 28 or so around 3:30 we had a full on white out blizzard. Dropped about an inch and half or so of fluffy big flakes in like half an hour. Following the snow was a legit storm. Rain down pouring with thunder and lightning. Melted all the snow and now its flooding bad. Yeah ohio throw it all at us! Im surprised we didnt see a 100 degrees at some point today. LoL

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 6:47 PM, Fishfiles said:

Wilson , I got to admit , snow is pretty to look at , the pics are beautiful ,  but pics of it is enough for me , I get cold just looking at the pics 

Agree....grew up in Ohio hills...so saw a reasonable amount of snow, enough for it to be fun as a kid...now in the Carolinas it's more fun to watch people here react...3 snowflakes!!!! panic!!!!!   we did get the flooding rains for 2 days...and it was in the 60s...then Saturday...34 degrees and snow falling...too warm n wet on the ground to stick but fun to see it coming down for a couple hours..and back up into the 60s this week.  Did take a ride and grabbed some go-pro videos of the flooding out back..when the creek breaks bank we can get a couple feet of water rushing through the back woods area...I remind myself that I "choose" not to snorkle the old Honda for a reason...if I think the water is too high, or rushing too fast, then I best stay out of it....and at age 63, that seems to make good sense for me...so I did avoid some trail areas that looked to be under 3-4ft of moving water...and even in 2ft, the quad can start to loose traction in the slick mud..but had a good ride getting footage and checking the property...all trail cams survived this time..have had em completely submerged before and to Browning's credit..the dang things actually worked and recording footage while under water...anyway...weather...oh yeah, that was the topic (grin)..yeah..snow..on the TV...good nuff for me.

• Like 1

The thing about living in the South is that when we do have snow, people turn into complete idiots.

Atlanta got some snow late last week.  My cousin sent video of dozens of cars that had piled up on one another.  These people think that their 4wd/AWD vehicle means they can drive as normal in the snow (and Atlanta drivers are pretty much ALL idiots).  They're too stupid to realize that 4 wheels spinning gets you moving, but does nothing to help you stop.

• Like 5

4WD if not used with your Brain -- will just put you farther in the woods when when leaving the road.

• Like 5