Melatv

Weather

I haven't duck hunted since Jan of 2018.  We had very few ducks around last year, so I never went.  This year the season started off well but fizzled out after about a week.  Folks up north are planting food for them and leaving it in the fields.  Lots of money to be made guiding duck hunts, so they plant it and leave it, and as long as there is food to be had, the ducks don't move South.

I'm debating on whether to try it this year.  Only 3 weekends left in the season.

My spot was good 6-8 years ago.  We had some dry summers, and the place almost dried up, which meant lots of weeds and grass grew during the summer months, then when the fall rains hit and the place filled back up, there were all kinds of seeds etc for the ducks to eat.  It's stayed flooded for the last 3-4 years so the only thing that's grown there in the summers is Lily Pads.  Since ducks don't eat those, it's been tough to get them to come in.

I'd like to blow the beaver dam in the spring, and assuming we don't have a wet summer, hopefully the area up around that I circled in orange would be dry enough for me to disc up and plant some millet.  Then my luck might get a little better.

food plots.jpg

• Like 1

I believe it's a Cessna 152.  Little two seater.  He has a hanger and grass strip out behind his Dad's place here.  He noticed I'd put on some weight the last time I went up with him and said "How much you weigh now?"  I told him I was up around 200 (I'm @215 now LOL) and he said "Well it's only about half full of fuel so we SHOULD be able to get off the ground" 

He used to have a Citabria when we were younger.  Let's just say I'm lucky I'm still here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ROFL!!    yep..dicey birds, but still he's so blessed to have one and be able to enjoy that view!!

Looks like its game on for heavy rain for the Ohio valley this weekend with the low predicted to eject from the front in the southern IL/IN borders area. Here is a brief snippet from the day shift:

Sat night into early Sun now looks much more interesting as most of
the 12Z model runs (with the exception of the Canadian) coming into
better agreement with a more westward track of sfc low developing
along the sharp frontal boundary extending from the Lower
Mississippi Valley to the Lower Great Lakes. This sfc low is
expected to spin up Sat over southern IL/IN in response to a
negative-tilt shortwave lifting out of the Southern Plains. The last
12-18hrs of deterministic model runs have trended notably nw with
the shortwave/sfc low, more inline with some of the ECMWF runs over
the last couple of days. Consensus of the 12z NAM/GFS/ECMWF suggests
the sfc low will lift to southern Lake MI and then track ne across
or just north of the Thumb of Lwr MI Sat night while the 500mb low
lifts to far eastern Upper MI. The resulting comma head/deformation
snow band forming with the system will then lift across much of
Upper MI, except perhaps the far w.

Jeep that's some nice pictures from the air.better than the google earth I do of our hunting area.Ok back to weather they talking like 77 the high friday and windy.Early a.m Saturday chance of severe weather,looks like my area may get 2-4"" of rain.Will hunt tomorrow evening and Saturday if the hard rain stops early enough they say it will be a fast mover.Seen a 9 or 10pt pass by my ladder stand I have in the woods on edge of pipeline at 6:48 a.m he's hanging around the doe's.

All that rain you guys are getting up north and all that snow melt is going to make it's way down the rivers and I think we are going to have a good " " flood "  season down here  ------ so when you change that oil in the Honda , don't pour it in the ditch and dispose of it properly . LOL 

• Like 2

yep....nother weekend of soggy headed our way...the wife and I were on the golf cart night before last..just out in our woods, parked just after dark along the creek..it's running strong from all the rain..and the near full moon was shining down on it..beautiful to just sit out there away from everything

there are a couple places on the trails that, while the pools of water are gone, the mud was still slick...so I just charged on into it, could feel the rear end sliding, but had enough momentum to churn on through..on the honda of course, no problem, but it was about at the limit of the cart's ability to navigate wet, slick, muddy.

had hoped to get in some fishing this weekend down on the coast...but I'll have to wear a poncho..but hey..the fish are already wet (grin)

• Like 1

neer 70F 2 days ago, still in the 60's/high 50's during the day. some wet/rain, followed by really windy. some wind, way over 40 MPH. a bit drafty in the modular home.

more weather like this expected, followed by down and up temperature swings. occasional calm wind days, in between..

put your cut wood, in a wood shed, or it will turn into pete.. never dry out..

i think i get it... :-)

The southeast Had a major flood today, we were also suppose to have a good chance of tornadic weather (close to my area) . Luckily the severe threat weakened ..... But we still got the heavy rain.. So i took time (after the rain) to grab some shots / video .... My thoughts and  prayers for those who didnt come through this on the upper hand ....  

I heard  via MTEARS .... Guntersville Alabama may have took a direct hit..

The last pic .... I was over knee deep... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Extreme cold warning here boyz...

-40F overnight. Yup she’s been a ! cold week at work. Can’t wait to get off this Tue. Brutal cold until then for sure. 

• Like 2

Man y'all been getting a lot of rain in your area.Looks like my area missed the worst of the storm that passed through didn't get a lot of rain,cut my yard today grass is getting green.Next week is going to be in the 70's here with rain,wish it would have been cold for the last week of deer season.

• Like 1

Wheeler , we are  one hundred degrees different in temps , it's was 65 last night ------- -40 is  mind boggling for me ----- it is suppose to get to 44 for a low tonight , that's too cold for me 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wheeler , we are  one hundred degrees different in temps , it's was 65 last night ------- -40 is  mind boggling for me ----- it is suppose to get to 44 for a low tonight , that's too cold for me 

Fish....Go spend a week at Wheelers would be quite an experience for you.Got my taste of that kinda cold when I lived in St. Paul,Mn back in the 80's.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't even explain how those temps feel. It's like it's a sharp pain in your cheeks. You have to keep bare skin covered up. Coldest I've yet to experience in my lifetime so far has been -56. 

It really does suck having these temps. They only last a few weeks usually though. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I can't even explain how those temps feel. It's like it's a sharp pain in your cheeks. You have to keep bare skin covered up.

Ya got me beat by 1 degree @Wheeler, a windy -55F was the lowest temp I ever walked outdoors in. I remember my eyelids were freezing shut each time I blinked, so I had to continually blink to keep them open. There's no place like home as they say.... 🙂

• Like 3

Coldest that I remembered was -34 with wind chill at -72 felt like my nostrils were freezing.Many times running the snow blower my mustache froze lol.

• Like 2

The coldest place I ever been  was a cold storage facility  for food in New Orleans , I can't remember the exact temp it was , seem to remember -20 , the fork lift was broken inside  the cooler ,  it was summer time so I wasn't dressed for it , they gave me a jump suit and some gloves to wear  , I went in I looked at it and seen it wasn't a quick fix , lasted about 5 minutes  and told them they needed to drag it out , cause I couldn't fix it in there , it was a fiasco , one lift pulling and one pushing with tires spinning on  hydraulic oil   to get it outside 

• Like 2

I’m South of Atlanta for a funeral. Drove right behind the storms yesterday. 

Looked like a tornado hit just west of Batesville MS. Sheds torn apart, roofs gone, and pivots torn apart and flipped over. 

We were lucky at home. Just lots of wind and rain

• Like 4

Couple pics from the rain yesterday, had 3".  Kinda iced over during the night, but you get the picture....

1)  south of my place, normally lawn..

2)  also lawn that feeds into my pond..

3)  overflow from my pond which is rather high now..

4)  my pond somewhat larger than normal..

South.jpg

Pond Feed.jpg

Pond Empty.jpg

Pond.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Bcsman , do you have beavers around you 

not the animal type lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bcsman said:

not the animal type lol

That stream looks like beaver country -------   I guess in the summer you might see a beaver on the bank , eh !!

No honestly never seen one around here, but yes agree it looks tempting.  Would think I would see the beaver dam constructed anywhere down the ditch....

• Like 1