Melatv

Weather

15 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

LOL, I'll give you  one from another valley, I'm kind of attached to the ones we have.

Ky has some pretty tall hills. baby Mts. lol's, i might trade. Florida;; stayed in that state for a while, least they had one hill with curves..

Edited by LedFTed

LOL, I'll give you  one from another valley, I'm kind of attached to the ones we have.

I just wish you guys could have the opportunity to ride these "hills"

71 here yesterday.  Warm again this morning, but supposed to rain again tonight and most of the week.

64 and sunshine here yesterday, 34 cloudy and a North wind today, got to love it!!

Thanks to all you guys up north , the Mississippi River is right at flood stage , very early this year , the spillway will no doubt be opened again this year

but --- the tides in the marsh lands are super low right now , my hog hunter buddies went yesterday and was telling me it was the lowest he ever seen it , and he is 60 years old and grew up on the bayou ----------- that tug and barge I done work on took off for Venice La , and didn't make it , they tried a short cut thru the marsh to shorten the open water ride , they ran aground , sucked mud into the heat exchangers and  ran hot and now they  have to wait for the tide to come back to get out , might take a while , LOL , bet  they ain't laughing 

When I brought bike to shop Friday, the river is very high,hope the COE predictions are correct.They saying the river should slowly start falling in February,if no flooding rains up north.If they are wrong yes looks like they will have to open spillway again this year.

I may be wrong but sure looks like the river is higher than it was last year at this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Thanks to all you guys up north , the Mississippi River is right at flood stage , very early this year , the spillway will no doubt be opened again this year

but --- the tides in the marsh lands are super low right now , my hog hunter buddies went yesterday and was telling me it was the lowest he ever seen it , and he is 60 years old and grew up on the bayou ----------- that tug and barge I done work on took off for Venice La , and didn't make it , they tried a short cut thru the marsh to shorten the open water ride , they ran aground , sucked mud into the heat exchangers and  ran hot and now they  have to wait for the tide to come back to get out , might take a while , LOL , bet  they ain't laughing 

Was one foot below flood stage here about 10 days ago.  Dropping pretty fast now.  I tried to tow that wooden platform duck blind I built that floated off.  Pilings kept getting hung up on the bottom so the rivers going to have to be well above flood stage for me to be able to move it where I want it.

Interesting on the tides.  That perhaps related to the moon cycle?

Yep , the tides are controlled by the moon for the most part , the wind has a major effect on them also around here , on the east side the river a strong north or west wind will blow the water out and lower the tide level and make the water dirty , south or east will blow it in and the water is salty and clean  ---an old fishing saying that holds true , " when the wind is out the west stay home and rest , when the wind is out the east , heat up the grease " 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Yep , the tides are controlled by the moon for the most part , the wind has a major effect on them also around here , on the east side the river a strong north or west wind will blow the water out and lower the tide level and make the water dirty , south or east will blow it in and the water is salty and clean  ---an old fishing saying that holds true , " when the wind is out the west stay home and rest , when the wind is out the east , heat up the grease " 

I always heard "If the wind's from the west, the fish bite best, if the wind's from the east, the fish bite least."

• Like 1

jeep , Your quote works down here if you go fishing on the west side of the Mississippi River ---- the river is leveed all the way down on the west side and almost on the east side , so the water stacks up on the back side when driven by wind as it has no where else to go  , makes for high tides which brings clean water , bait fish and bigger fish that eat bait fish  

Well that's what my grandparents always said fishing on the pond on the farm.  I guess it makes sense that it would be dependent on what body of water you're referring to!

is there any rhyme, for ky. that works.i heard, if the cows are, laying down/standing up, i dont believe any cept a full moon.

Edited by LedFTed

I've always had my best fishing days during big storms. I tell my friends that the best fishing on Michigan lakes is when a tornado is ripping up the other side of the lake. Lightning is the only threat that runs me off.

• Like 3

Well, all I can say is you folks down south deal with some pretty scary stuff, I don't know how well I would handle having to worry about flood waters, hurricanes and all that comes with it.  I guess we have a few things here that could be worrisome for some but nothing here seems to be as concerning as what goes on down south along the Mississippi, in the open prairie states, and along the gulf and south eastern coast lines. Our Blizzards pale in comparison, IMO one of our biggest concerns is forest fires and I think one of the main problems is improper logging practices. With Montana being so rural we have a lot of western small towns that are surrounded by millions of National forest, and when its dry we get very concerned.  Our rivers would be considered mere creeks to the most of you, and most of the creek beds are deep enough they don't really over flow their banks, only after they come out of the mountains into the large mountain valleys and eastern prairies, and even then the flooding isn't as destructive as what we've witnessed from afar.  You folks are tougher than I would be dealing with the situations you do. Hat's off to you!

• Like 1

As for fishing... I Watch the barometric pressure... but some great tips! And it looks as tho were under the gun again...is the weather man right this go round ?? 

image.jpg

and we're looking at 3+inches of rain headed our way..pond is full, creek is full, might can handle an inche before we're back to flood in the lower woods, and we still have puddles of water laying back there...gonna be a mess...guess I better put the snorkle on the ol honda and maybe pack some supplies into the boat... Water World days are here   SMOKERS!!!   

There are so many things you guys  have to deal with down there.😕. Those types of things just don't cross my mind.  I  guess we all have our worries in the areas we live in( at least where I kive) but it seems to me that it is always more life threatening on other areas of the country than it is here. We have cold weather and blizzards, bad roads, forest fires. Fires are probably the most concerning and scary for me but even then our city would not be in danger of burning up. There are areas or state that do flood , but even then it's not on my radar because we don't have a lot of flooding here. Once in a whle The rivers get high in new flood banks Folks that live by them Are in trouble. But what we call a river here is no more than a mere Creek to you folks.  I don't think I could handle the stress of having to worry about  Flooding every year, And then all the creepy crawlies it come out when that happens. Yuck .Snowing here today finally, glad to see some of the white stuff coming as we need the snowpack in the mountains. Winter weather watch over the next couple of days so hopefully will get dumped on. Don't mind the  Snow, makes my wife nervous when we have to travel though. A balmy 30゚ or so

Finally getting snow, supposed to be possibly up to 15", We'll see Whether men are the only ones that can be wrong 100% of the time and never lose their jobs.

20200206_075540.jpg

20200206_075540.jpg

20200206_081210.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 1

weathermen, weatherwomen, never lose there jobs. its a given.  what a gravy job.

Edited by LedFTed

On 2/4/2020 at 3:09 PM, retro said:

I've always had my best fishing days during big storms. I tell my friends that the best fishing on Michigan lakes is when a tornado is ripping up the other side of the lake. Lightning is the only threat that runs me off.

i dont like static electricity, myself.

Edited by LedFTed
had too

@Freedomflyer when I put in water line out in the hills area I always thought it was a little funny when they said we had to cross the river. I was always asking "the what" because it was no more than a dried up creek bed to me. I'm not really that far away but growing up on the Missouri really changes the meanings of the little water ways. To me this is a creek, usually lower than this but always flowing. 

20190705_121249.jpg

• Like 3

Yep, that's a creek here. 

Of course, in this part of Arkansas, everything is mud bottomed.  No rocks. 

When you get into North Arkansas and West Arkansas you get nice flowing little rivers with rock bottoms that are much more picturesque. 

when/if ya buy fish at the store, ya find its injected with something, so it weigh's more. the FDA said ya cant extra weight on the fish sold, as water/ice,, on the  outside,, but the FDA doesnt care if ya inject fish. so what, i do care. catch your own fish, its different, than what ya will ever find at a grocer store. cooks different. taste better. Hard to Fry a fish or anything by FDA standard's., gov. is involved. they hardly know of anything, cept other peoples money. want it for there own.. ..

Edited by LedFTed